The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #1471
SamIam

Also from Merc's post above
Quote:
“We are talking about a revolution in primary care here,” Sanders said. Funding community health centers in an additional 10,000 communities would extend primary care to 25 million more Americans. The $10 billion, added at Sanders’ request, would also ensure there would be medical professionals to provide primary care by expanding the National Health Service Corps by an additional 20,000 slots. Doctors, dentists, nurses and other medical professionals who agree to work in areas where there are limited medical services get help paying off their school loans. The House version of the health care reform bill contains $14 billion for these initiatives. Sanders said he was hopeful the final amount, which will be hammered out in negotiations between the House and Senate, would be closer to $14 billion
I don't know if anyone else has lived in an isolated rural community, but I have. I lived in a very small Colorado town that was 3 1/2 to 4 hours across the mountains to the nearest town with a hospital and other medical facilities. We had one of those little rural health care centers with a real doctor, and it literally saved lives. I cannot believe that anyone would object to providing such services for rural America. There is an entire country out there beyond the beltway, folks.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #1472
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But Sam, that won't be a problem when all those isolated people are moved into the Homeland security compounds, for their protection.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #1473
SamIam

Let 'em try. We have CASES of Treet . http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21691&page=2
The can fits nicely in the hand and a well aimed throw can result in a concussion, at least. :p
Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #1474
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Also from Merc's post above

I don't know if anyone else has lived in an isolated rural community, but I have. I lived in a very small Colorado town that was 3 1/2 to 4 hours across the mountains to the nearest town with a hospital and other medical facilities. We had one of those little rural health care centers with a real doctor, and it literally saved lives. I cannot believe that anyone would object to providing such services for rural America. There is an entire country out there beyond the beltway, folks.
I would have no problem with it at all.... wait for it....

Here it comes....

If it was not given as a consession for a VOTE to ONE State! While the other 49 states don't get the BENIFIT!

Do you get that? One FRIGGING STATE.

The Demoncrats Whored themselves to get consessions for votes. Prostitutes everyone of them. They were more concerned with giving Obamy a win before Christmas than doing the right thing by the American public.

Now everyone keep a close eye on your deductables and co-pays over the next 3 - 4 years. And as they shoot up and become outrageous come back and tell me how great it is for you and your famlies, you can afford it right? It was all worth it, right?

Be careful what you wish for. You just got it.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 12-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #1475
TheMercenary

Senior Democrat: Kill the Senate health reform bill and start over

Quote:
By Michael O'Brien - 12/23/09 02:12 PM ET
The Senate's healthcare bill is fatally flawed, a senior Democrat atop a powerful committee said on Wednesday.

Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.), the chairwoman of the House Rules Committee and co-chairwoman of the Congressional Pro-Choice Caucus, said that the Senate's bill is so flawed that it's unlikely to be resolved in conference with the bill to have passed the House.

"The Senate health care bill is not worthy of the historic vote that the House took a month ago," Slaughter wrote in an opinion piece for CNN's website.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...and-start-over
Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #1476
TheMercenary

Health bill money for hospital sought by Dodd

Quote:
The Associated Press
Sunday, December 20, 2009; 11:32 PM

WASHINGTON -- A $100 million item for construction of a university hospital was inserted in the Senate health care bill at the request of Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., who faces a difficult re-election campaign, his office said Sunday night.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122002956.html
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #1477
TheMercenary

The Price of 'History'
Harry Reid delivers a bundle of special-interest favors.

Quote:
Blanche Lincoln and Evan Bayh must feel like saps. The Arkansas and Indiana Democrats spent months caterwauling about this or that provision in the Senate health-care bill, then at 1 a.m. Monday they voted to speed its passage without getting so much as a lousy T-shirt.

In Harry Reid's Senate, this qualifies as dereliction of duty, as the Majority Leader said himself on Monday in defense of his frantic deal-making to get 60 votes. "I don't know if there is a Senator that doesn't have something in this bill that was important to them," Mr. Reid said at a press conference that offered an unintentional commentary on modern democracy. "And if they don't have something in it important to them, then it doesn't speak well of them."
Quote:
Meanwhile, the Reid bill's fine print also solves the mystery of Florida Senator Bill Nelson, who is no relation to Ben but is just as crafty. How could a Florida Democrat, who has built his career denouncing Medicare "cuts," vote for a bill that pays for a new entitlement for younger Americans by taking more than $400 billion from health-care for seniors?

His brilliant solution: Include a grandfather clause that exempts Florida seniors who currently have Medicare Advantage benefits from losing them. This little beauty is worth $3 billion to $5 billion. (Presumably Arizona, also the home to many retirees, didn't qualify because its two Senators are Republicans.)

This does mean, of course, that if you turn 65 next year and move to Florida and want Medicare Advantage, you don't qualify for the Nelson Advantage. So some seniors will be more equal than others. But at least Mr. Nelson was able to minimize the chance of a major senior revolt against his support for Medicare cuts.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...077223550.html
Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #1478
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I would have no problem with it at all.... wait for it....

Here it comes....

If it was not given as a consession for a VOTE to ONE State! While the other 49 states don't get the BENIFIT!

Do you get that? One FRIGGING STATE.

The Demoncrats Whored themselves to get consessions for votes. Prostitutes everyone of them. They were more concerned with giving Obamy a win before Christmas than doing the right thing by the American public.

Now everyone keep a close eye on your deductables and co-pays over the next 3 - 4 years. And as they shoot up and become outrageous come back and tell me how great it is for you and your famlies, you can afford it right? It was all worth it, right?

Be careful what you wish for. You just got it.
Go back and re-read the article you posted. It states:

Quote:
Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., scored a big victory, too, with the inclusion in the amendment package of $10 billion to expand community health centers across the country — including at least two more in Vermont.
What part of health centers across the country don't you get? And Sanders gets two whole clinics for his entire state? BFD.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #1479
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Early Christmas Eve morning, Senators are due to vote aye or nay on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as their vision of how to reform health care in America.

The House wrangled its version last month. While President Obama says the two proposals are 95% "identical," that 5% difference has spurred some furious negotiations.

* The bill for the health care reform bill? The House version costs more than a trillion, while the Senate's a tad cheaper at $871 billion.
* People with comfy incomes will have to pay more taxes to help pay for reform, if the House has its way. The Senate stays away from that, but adds a 10% tax on indoor tanning booths.
* Funding for abortion and a public option are two of the more heated controversies.
* A New York congresswoman wrote an op-ed tearing apart the Senate bill for, among other things, letting insurance companies keep enjoying their antitrust status.

Outlets like AP, Bloomberg, Newsweek, The New York Times, and the Kaiser Family Foundation have taken on the daunting task to compare the two versions. Below, three charts with an overview, key similarities, and key differences between the Senate and House proposals.
Link
Old 12-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #1480
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I rarely post here because it's not my country, my problem or something I can easily comprehend.

Just wanted to point out to Urbane that the Daily Mail is our most right wing paper. It is also a tabloid (read scare-mongering poor journalism rag). And it hates EVERYONE. It keeps old people in rural places alive by making their blood boil on a daily basis.

The end.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #1481
SamIam

That comes as no surprise. Crap like that is UG's favorite reading matter. Wouldn't want to fill anyone's head with stuff that might be non-partisan or fair.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #1482
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
And it hates EVERYONE. It keeps old people in rural places alive by making their blood boil on a daily basis.
I knew I liked it.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #1483
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
BFD.
I was mistaken and misspoke.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #1484
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I was mistaken and misspoke.
(there is no smiley for 'fainting from shock, so these will have to do).

Kudos, Merc. A lot of people would try to bull their way through after being caught in a mistake (you know who I'm talking about, UG).

I do think that Nebraska got some kind of deal.

IMO, if the Republicans had not fillibustered and even a few of them would have dealt honestly, there would have been no need for any deals. It will be a flawed bill that passes, but still better than the status quo.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #1485
TheMercenary

Thanks rich. Check out this report on NPR yesterday.

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/...25&m=121880204

consider the source on this next one but healthcare is going to cost us all a lot more in the immediate future.

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/...25&m=121880204