The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #226
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I concur wholeheartedly glatt. But just to be sure you need to send a couple of yours my way.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #227
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For brownies? You concur, and I'll swear to it.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 AM   #228
Griff
still says videotape

I was given a bottle of Linden tree honey for Solstice from Tremblay Apiaries. It is fantastic! It's lighter than clover honey with a much better after taste. It does not appear to be crystallizing yet either so I'm assuming it has been processed differently?

Follow up... It is raw unfiltered honey, which may explain the lack of crystals.

Last edited by Griff; 01-31-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: follow up
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #229
glatt

I recently bought some raw unfiltered apple blossom honey at a farmer's market just before Christmas, and it was very crystallized. So I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe temperature? But warming it up a little in the microwave will get rid of those crystals without harming the flavor.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #230
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There was a thing on one of the offbeat channels last night about the honey industry. They said when they have excess honey production, and it starts to crystallize while sitting, they just warm it up a bit.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #231
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Let's see, I'll want to break this down into categories.

Food - Herr's Hot Cheese Curls - cheesy sweet and spicy

Okabashi sandals - Comfortable, soft, cheap, durable, and recyclable. I bought two pair on supersale at the supermarket a few years back and still use both pairs as my indoor slippers. Good arch support and little reflexology nubbies. I'm not so sure about the dishwasher instructions, though.

Quote:
If you return your well-loved and worn Okabashis to the address below, we will recycle them. All we ask is that you clean the shoes to remove contaminants before sending them to us - one cycle through the dishwasher or washing machine usually does the trick.
Citizen Eco-drive watches - I bought my wife one for her 40th birthday. I liked it so much I got one myself for my 40th (ish) birthday. I've had it at least 7 years with no battery change.

Emerson MP205 MP3 player - I thought they discontinued these things but they keep showing up at the QVC outlet ($15 or less depending on sales). Cheap plastic MP3 player with voice recorder and FM. The onboard memory is a measly 128MB but the slot handles up to 2GB SD cards. It only uses a single AAA battery. Unlike many more expensive players, there is a simple dedicated button to switch between EQ presets. It's obviously cheap construction and price mean I can leave it on my pool chair without worrying about losing a $100 MP3 player. Being able to swap out cards in less than 10 seconds means I can carry different sets of music. Note: I haved moved up to a multimedia player, but the Emerson is still my 'go-to' for music-only.

Discgear Selector 50 - A manual CD/DVD jukebox that organizes 50 CD/DVDs into a 6x7 inch space. I have two 50's, but they also sell a 100 model.

Restaurant.com gift certificates - If you eat out a lot, buying these is almost like printing money. You have to get on the mailing list to get the discount code. Every month discounts go from %50 to %80 (sometimes %90). At %80 off, a $25 gift certificate is $2. More of a coupon than a true gift certificate.

Nexxtech leather keychain light - I bought this cheap little keychain light years ago at Circuit City. It's a stitched leather squeeze light. Every other keychain light I've bought has ended up with broken switches, broken plastic links, cracked plastic cases. You have to admire durability.

Rechargeable NimH batteries - My cordless mouse can't do without them. Saves me money and saves the planet (see below).

Duct Tape - Many uses. I am due to build my next duct tape wallet soon.

Fluorescent Bulbs - Saves energy which saves me money. I tell all the Birkenstock wearing hot college liberal babes that I do it to save the planet.

Cat-5 and Cat-6 cable - For all of this 'Wi-Fi' crap, there is nothing more secure and reliable than a wired connection.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #232
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I recently bought some raw unfiltered apple blossom honey at a farmer's market just before Christmas, and it was very crystallized. So I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe temperature? But warming it up a little in the microwave will get rid of those crystals without harming the flavor.
Microwaving will reduce the medicinal antibiotic and enzymatic properties of raw honey. Putting it in a pan with heated water is a better option. Just sayin
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #233
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wouldn't it be a function of how hot you make it rather than how you heat it?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #234
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Wouldn't it be a function of how hot you make it rather than how you heat it?
If you're the kind of person that goes out of your way to eat raw honey, you're also probably the kind of person that has researched the evils of microwaving.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #235
monster
I hear them call the tide

microwaves are the work of the devil. look how easy it is to type in 666 on the keypad. and they explode eggs which we all know are representative of the Easter Bunny and therefore Jesus who got a re-erection which makes him a keeper/saver/something like that.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #236
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
If you're the kind of person that goes out of your way to eat raw honey, you're also probably the kind of person that has researched the evils of microwaving.
Oh right, silly me.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #237
glatt

I've recently started going out of my way to eat raw honey because it tastes so much better than supermarket honey. If it really does help with the allergies and stuff, then great. But I used the microwave to heat mine up because I didn't feel like messing with the pan of water and cleaning up after.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #238
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Don't need a pan, really.

Holding the bottle under hot water running in the sink is usually enough to get the crystals to break up.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #239
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Techniques Hard-Anodized Cookware.

This shit is da bomb.

All I wanna do is cook.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #240
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Nice! .... and expensive too.I will wait until some half off sale to eye that set any further.

When I worked graveyard I burnt up my dutch oven. I miss it so I understand about nice cookware. congrats wolf.

As for me,the least of my purchases is my favorite. It is a boar bristle / nylon embedded brush.
It goes right through my thick wavy hair and makes it mind ( I hates my hair )
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote