The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Trivia Challenge

Daughter wants to know how many construction barrels there are in the US. Feel free to answer or add your own question....
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

What is a construction barrel?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

Oh, to be able to ask that question in all innocence......

Name:  large_Miller_road.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  85.8 KB
Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Four fewer than the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

In Oregon, construction barrels are considered an invasive species.
Unrestricted, they lead to the destruction of miles and miles of virgin land.
The Oregon Dept of Environmental Quality is fighting a losing battle,
because the Dept of Transportation has access to gas tax $ and has no fear.

In just one night, a fertile pair can produce a whole new generation of baby cones.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  6.9 KB

The usual litter size is five to six, but octa-does are common,
and even dodeca-does are being reported now in California.

If you come across a breeding pair, separate them immediately.
They can be re-cycled into toys, tooth-brushes, eye-glass frames
and a myriad of other useful products.

Do your part to help stamp out these pests that plague our country-sides.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

There is a trucking company called Schneider whose trucks are the same color as the construction barrel orange. Therefore construction barrels are called Schneider eggs.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The construction barrel is Pennsylvania's State Animal.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

OMG! You have to read this Uncyclopedia article about the orange construction barrel.

It's hilarious.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

what is the sound of one orange construction barrel clapping?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Daughter wants to know how many construction barrels there are in the US.
Maybe this will help the little Monstrette some:

from CatholicJournal

Quote:
As the old saying goes, there are two seasons in most Northern States, winter and road construction. Nothing seems to symbolize the change of seasons as the dreaded orange barrel along the highway. Orange barrels are manufactured according to strict government standards that prevent them from penetrating a vehicle during a high speed collision. They are far safer than their predecessors – the old metal 55 gallon drums.

Industry-wide, as many as 750,000 orange barrels are produced annually at a cost of roughly $120.00 per barrel. A little simple math will tell you that this is a $90,000,000 million dollar industry. In the early 1990’s, a 25 pound tire collar was added that anchors the barrel in place. Previously the orange barrels contained 50 pounds of sand, which made the task of setting up construction zones laborious and time consuming. Because the industry is so competitive, it is difficult to get too much information. At present, there are about a dozen companies that sell the orange barrels in the United States.

Construction barrels are traffic control devices used to channel motor vehicles through construction sites. Plastic barrels that are commonly seen on American roadways today began emerging in the late 1970s and 1980s. The steel 55 gallon drums were largely phased out in the 1990s. Construction barrels are typically bright orange and have four alternating white and orange reflective bands. Most now have a rubber base that prevents the barrel from tipping over during high winds or when struck by a vehicle.

It should come as no surprise that with 750,000 new orange barrels being produced each year that there is an unbelievable amount of barrels in the United States. Michigan alone is estimated to have approximately 2.5 million barrels. Many of these barrels, when not in use, are stored in an absolutely gigantic storage facility near Grayling, Michigan.

I am afraid that we must adjust to living with these barrels as it seems as if road construction will be with us forever. As quickly as we repair our roads, new projects surface just as quickly. As part of the 2011 Federal budget, the Department of Transportation has allocated 793 billion dollars for mandatory outlays to improve our deteriorating road system in the United States. Recently, a cartoon in the State of Ohio recognized the orange barrel as the State Symbol. Not a bad idea for Michigan either.