The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #841
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Sunday...we have a copy of Suzannah's Song you could borrow. Don't miss it. You'll love it. It was my favourite one of the dark tower series...well, kind of. Maybe not. They were all awesome although I found the first book a trudge. Ripped through the rest though.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #842
Aliantha

I"m reading the second book in Ian Irvines 'mirror' series. I'm enjoying the story although I find his writing a little bit immature in style in some ways. It's a great story, but I don't get the same visual images as I get with other authors.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #843
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

um---is most of the stuff ya'll read Sci-Fi? None of the above books for the past 5-6 posts rings any bells...

I'm reading the memoirs of Laetitia Pilkington--a Lady of the 18th C. who was a close friend of Swift, was divorced by her Parson husband who was having an affair with an actress (the nerve!) but who divorced her on grounds that SHE was the adulterer, lost custody of her children, was so poor and hungry she very well MAY have prostituted herself to survive (the jury is out on whether she really did or not), wrote poems and ditties for other people who claimed them as their own (for cash) and was sent to Debtor's Prison for a two pound debt. Really fascinating--this woman is completely relatable to a modern day reader. I feel sort of secure knowing that nothing really ever changes in this world.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:16 AM   #844
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I mean, really! This DeGroot (see post 840) visibly approved MAD over Reagan and SDI. Well, SDI f*#@n' BROKE the Soviets. Put that in your pipe, DeGroot. With the Soviet effort broken, nuclear tensions declined.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #845
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
um---is most of the stuff ya'll read Sci-Fi? None of the above books for the past 5-6 posts rings any bells...
Don't worry about not recognising the ones I mentioned - Graham Masterton writes middle-of-the-road horror, although as I said he turns a thought-provoking phrase from time to time. Also I guess he lived in England for a while - for an American author he has included some valid British episodes. This always pleases me, which I know is a little sad.

The Dark Tower series is horror/ fantasy by Stephen King rather than sci-fi. Although it is rambling enough to create it's own genre...

The only name you should have picked up on was Pynchon (as in Gravity's Rainbow), but as I hadn't read any of his books until I saw Mason Dixon in the charity shop I'm hardly one to point the fingerer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I'm reading the memoirs of Laetitia Pilkington--a Lady of the 18th C... Really fascinating--this woman is completely relatable to a modern day reader. I feel sort of secure knowing that nothing really ever changes in this world.
Sounds great! I will look out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Sunday...we have a copy of Suzannah's Song you could borrow. Don't miss it. You'll love it. It was my favourite one of the dark tower series...well, kind of. Maybe not. They were all awesome although I found the first book a trudge. Ripped through the rest though.
If it's not too much to send (it will count as printed papers, but any shipping from Oz to here costs the earth) and you can spare it I'd love to borrow it! I'll keep looking in the charity shop, but PM me if you think it's viable - I'm about to start cataloguing my books for sale on eBay so if there's anything I have you want I'm happy to return the favour.

I'm loving theDark Tower so far - about halfway through the book and have just had a good cry. I won't say why in case anyone else is intending to read it, but you'll know why.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #846
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Hi SG - I suppose I'm a selective Stephen King fan - loved 'The Stand' and have read a couple of others by him (titles are in the loft/attic as I write, sorry). For SciFi, though, I like surreal Mr Robert Rankin - but there's no way he is anything like Stephen King - Rankin's an acquired taste - more of the 'if you like Marmite, then maybe' ilk....

Currently reading my fifth Mark Billingham - crime novelist - stories are usually based in London. I never read crime novels so he can't be that bad - latest is called 'Lifeless' and is set in the world of the homeless and rough sleepers.

Next in line, post Billingham, is/will be 'Londonstani' - written by a young Asian, Gautam Malkani. Written in current Asian youth-speak - looks like being a good read - one for the plane next week. Initial page-flicking felt a bit like when I picked up 'Clockwork Orange' all those years ago, before it was well known, and read the first page. Iain E Banks 'Feersom Engin' is another in that mode that springs to mind.

Bought Lifeless and Londonstani as two of a 'buy two, get one free' offer at W H Smith. The freebie is a Rankin 'The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse'..... (well I did say he was surreal). It's set in Toy City (used to be Toy Town, but it grew bigger), and the hero's a private eye, named Eddie Bear (I think you're getting the picture) - I'll let you know in due course....
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #847
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ooh - I've read Scaredycat!
I must write down his name (and Robert Rankin/ Gautim Malkani - hadn't heard of them). The only disadvantage of the charity bookshop is that it's so large. Therefore it's laid out as a proper bookshop, which is an advantage of course, but you need to remember author's names rather than relying on browsing.

I loved The Stand. Although I'm currently looking for a copy of Rose Madder - I read it when my (ex) husband and I were in Cuba and gave it away when we divorced because it reminded me so specifically of the time in my life. Now I'd quite like to read it again - just not enough to want to pay bookshop prices!

I'll let you know when I'm in Greenwich anyway - I'm hoping we can at least have a drink and a bookswap.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #848
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Be careful with Rankin - choose the wrong one and you'll be put off him for life - The 3rd book in the Brentford Trilogy (9 books in total), 'The Brentford Triangle' is still my favourite, although I did quite enjoy his 'Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls' - same heroes in both books: Jim Pooley and John O'Malley. His Armageddon Trilogy is also quite good if you're into time-travelling Brussel Sprouts and firmly believe that Elvis Presley is alive and kicking.

Up to you now...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #849
rkzenrage

Just got my first issue of The Smithsonian.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 AM   #850
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
....I'm hoping we can at least have a drink and a bookswap.
Have to be a Sunday, girl....
Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #851
Aliantha

Sundae, I'll organize a copy for you. PM me your address and I'll get it in the post shortly.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #852
Cloud

not currently reading it-- but on my wish list:

Flock of Dodos: Behind Creationism, Modern Intelligent Design, & the Easter Bunny

The blurb:
"What is creationism? Is it science, theology, both, neither? Who's behind it? What does it mean for Western Civilization? And why should you give a damn in the first place?
National Lampoon veteran Barrett Brown and Professor of Sociology Jon P. Alston, Ph.D, answer these questions - and perhaps one or two others -in a superbly unorthodox, serenely offensive and splendidly hilarious look at the forces behind the most talked-about pseudo-theory in modern history.

In Flock of Dodos, the reader will discover ominous parallels between Billy Joel's greaser anthem Uptown Girl and chief intelligent design proponent William Dembski, the wholly non-Christian origins of the United States, the goofy history of the creation science movement, secrets of a happy marriage to anti-feminist icon Phylis Schafly, stunning evidence that William Jennings Bryan might not have been all that bright, the the three interesting things that occurred in 2004, and the true nature of the millennia-old Conspiracy of Nonsense that threatens the very fiber of Western Civilization."
Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #853
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Books I want to read :

The Science of Success: How to Attract Prosperity and Create Harmonic Wealth Through Proven Principles

Zen and the Art of Guitar: A Path to Guitar Mastery
( not for me but I can still read it)

The Girl with the Pearl Earring. Yes that's right.
The Girl with the Pearl Earring.

After the character gets kicked out of her employment I have to know why she went to the old mans house and not to her boyfriend who wanted to marry her. It's true. I love historical fiction.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #854
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Right now

Paint It Black--Janet Fitch.

Nicely written.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #855
rockerreds
Infamous Defamer

Anita Brookner-Falling Slowly
rockerreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books