Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 04-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #226
glatt

I like that
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #227
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Those Brits were junkies before it was cool.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #228
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

That jogged a memory Bruce.

When I was a kid my grandmother used to 'swear by' Dr J Collis Browne's 'Chlorodyne'. It had a fearsome odour that could cause you to lose the power of speech at a distance of several feet.
I have a vague recollection of its withdrawal from sale as the ingredients were no longer considered safe. Judge for yourselves:

Quote:
Dr. John Collis Browne’s Chlorodyne was marketed as a cure for coughs, colds, asthma, migraines and bronchitis, as well as for the treatment of cholera symptoms. One of the more famous patent medicines, it was a mixture of laudanum (an alcoholic solution of opium), cannabis tincture and chloroform and was a huge hit, inspiring a series of imitators to churn out their own versions of Chlorodyne. Many of the knock-offs replaced laudanum with morphine hydrochloride and soon Chlorodyne dependence was a big problem. Over the years, the tincture of cannabis was removed from the formulation and the morphine content gradually lowered. While these days Chlorodyne is confined to the history books, in the UK you can still buy Dr J. Collis Browne’s Mixture, a cure for coughs and upset stomachs, which contains morphine and peppermint oil.
Fearsome stuff.

10 Old-Timey Medicines That Got People High
Want some morphine in your cough syrup?
Old 05-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #229
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The purpose of patent medicines (and most prescriptions), is not to cure but to make the patient feel better.
So following that creed, I'd say they were successful.

Edit: I printed the article at your link to see if my Aunt (born 1920) remembers any.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 05-09-2015 at 03:44 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #230
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
it was a mixture of laudanum (an alcoholic solution of opium), cannabis tincture and chloroform and was a huge hit
...I bet it was a huge hit!...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #231
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
...I bet it was a huge hit!...
Well, Grandma certainly seemed more at ease with the world after a couple of spoonfuls.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #232
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

[drift]

Popdigr came in with this the other night:

Name:  DSCF5845.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  130.0 KB

At first, with the dark whisky coloring, I didn't know if you were supposed to pour it in ya or daub it on ya, but, after popping the top, one whiff gave me the answer.

The stuff smells so bad it'd knock a buzzard off a gut wagon.

$13 for a bottle of camphor.

[/drift]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #233
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Welch have no sense of humor, outraged at travel ads.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #234
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I suppose they can not ride all day for free.

sourpusses.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #235
Snakeadelic
Banned

Let's see if this works or if I failed to notice a "minimum posts before allowed to add images" rule somewhere...

You should see a fella in a suit and hat. The pictures high on the wall are athletes, because one year not too long ago for Christmas I got to go see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (who have played for like THREE in-office presidents) in a high school drama auditorium with, seriously, like 140 seats. I got third row farthest to my left--fabulous view, but no pix until after the show. Unless you REALLY hate swing/jazz, spend the money to see these guys--they were at like 18 years with the original six dudes, and they are the best.
Attached Images

Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #236
Snakeadelic
Banned

Just about everyone everywhere hates something about where they live. For me, it's that I'm fairly scared of fire and pretty badly allergic to smoke.

This is a sunset. Behind a mountain. I shot this from the parking lot of my apartment. The big black crap in the foreground is the roof of another building, and if you look REALLY hard you might see vague hints of mountain slopes just above it.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #237
Snakeadelic
Banned

One of our local kestrels from a while back. Don't know how much longer we'll have our delightful little falcons for neighbors, because aquifer drainage for human use is killing all the big cottonwood trees they like to nest in; 6 have been cut down near me in the last few years because they like to nail moving cars to roadways with downer branches (there went all the big trees upside our county fairgrounds!).
Old 05-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #238
Snakeadelic
Banned

Hope the bird shows up this time...
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #239
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Nice pic ... and it's interesting that you got the moon to move over
and stand behind the bird while you took the pic.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #240
Snakeadelic
Banned

And for the record: I take pretty pictures and have some downright extraordinary ones, but I know zero about actual techniques or equipment.

My camera is a Canon PowerShot A720 IS with 6x physical zoom (up to 24x digital but boy howdy quality sucks at that limit). I use two settings, the shutter speed for most things and the very nice macro for small things that won't run away. I borrowed one from a neighbor I like years ago and got my own as soon as I could afford it. It was a factory refurbish and I put 120,000-ish images (yay for OCD in small doses!) through it before it freaked out. I think the shutter's sticking open, but in a county with a population of 30K or so camera shops are few and far between. We tried ordering a set of fun polarizing lenses, which showed up 1/2" bigger around than the entire lens assembly and with no means of attachment even though I used the camera details as my search string, so I don't put any fancy lenses on my little Canon. They're tough, though...I'm on my second one, the one I originally borrowed, and it's performing just like its predecessor.

I have shot the ghost town of Coolidge, a silver-mining outpost 9,000 feet or so up in the Pioneer Mountains, and I have shot sunset standing on Rockaway Beach, Oregon. When we drove to Billings to see Alice Cooper with Rob Zombie (rocked and sucked, in that order, tix said NO PHOTO so I left the camera in the truck and oh yes I was severely annoyed when the security dude with the bullhorn said still photos would be allowed but the line was already moving) I got a shot of a meadowlark on a fencepost in about 110 degrees Fahrenheit. I've shot bald eagles from my own balcony with the same camera at -15 F.

I'm religious about using my lanyard because my hands like to randomly just say "NOPE" and snap open, but that doesn't mean it's never fallen off anything (It has. A lot.) I broke a bone in my hand when the lanyard swung the camera back around on me once as I was slipping on ice, that was fun. I have a legend-worthy capacity for ridiculous injury. Didn't break the camera, just my hand.

I don't use processing software because I suck so badly at tech & software...just so badly. I use IrfanView to resize & gamma correct if needed and (seriously) Paint to crop. That's why I put my images here--I figured to be high-quality, the images would need to be much sharper and cleaner than they come off the camera, plus editing software might be difficult as my computer has a teeny brain because I keep all my images on an external that holds a terabyte. My image count, midway through a heavy archive edit to remove duplicate scenes (same bird, same buildings, only need so many poses) and focus fails and the like, is just over 143,000 as of today (more yay for manageable OCD!) but I still don't know how to use Photoshop or work with a RAW file.

On a (slightly) serious note, I have many, many photos of different types of minerals, everything from exotics at shows to rare jaspers "in the wild" and ranging in size from things that will fit on the nail of my ring-size-2-1/2-pinkie to entire mountainsides. Anyone needs pictures of stones is welcome to contact me to find out if my work will suffice. I don't take money. Photography is not a business to me--it's the creative outlet I took up when that snapping-open trick and the fact that both of my pinkies and ring fingers are largely numb for no evident reason combined to make sculpting tiny animals in polymer clays impossible after 19 years at it. I'm okay with barter and great with "pay it forward", but I do not want money.

The stone I hope shows is either slate or shale, tan with huge dendritic markings that are likely iron oxide or manganese oxide. The posted version is 25% of the full-sized image, resampled but not cropped. It's from about 40 miles west of Missoula, right upside I-90 near a town called Alberton where there are spectacular outcrops of this stuff in tan, greens, purples, and even a whole mountainside of reddish-pink.

Time for me to quit clogging up your servers and attempt to be a responsible adult about my day, which is set to include an hour of horseback physical therapy and then just enough time to shower off the horsehair before I go ask my doc why he stopped renewing my pain meds out of freaking nowhere...
Attached Images