The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #31
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

When we can point and judge, and roll our eyes in chagrin, we must be diverting attention from our own fucked up choices, and our own misguidance, and say to ourselves "no mishap from shenanigans have ever landed on my doorstep." This must be the most glorious of assertions, whether it is true or not.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #32
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I think she gets away with her shit because she's so cute.

Cuteness has killed a LOT of addicts.
I take great comfort from this. What a relief!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #33
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
When we can point and judge, and roll our eyes in chagrin, we must be diverting attention from our own fucked up choices, and our own misguidance, and say to ourselves "no mishap from shenanigans have ever landed on my doorstep." This must be the most glorious of assertions, whether it is true or not.
You bet I judge her. I know where she's coming from because I pulled the same crap myself, and I paid one hell of a high price for it. Have you ever considered that many young people look up to her as a role model? What a tragedy. Alcohol and drugs kill people - lots of people. Addiction is one of the most serious diseases out there. Never mind what I did to myself. I could have gotten into my car drunk and killed innocent people. It is only by the grace of God that this did not happen.

Many "mishaps from my shenanigans" landed on my doorstep. Thank God that they were not worse than they were.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #34
glatt

So when you get a jail sentence, you don't necessarily always end up serving the entire sentence. You can get time sliced off for good behavior, or if the place is crowded, you might get released early.

Think the officials who decide these things will let her out early, now that everyone knows about what her fingernails said in court? I wouldn't be surprised if she served the full 90 days.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #35
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
and the damage to cells will come back to bite you later in life.
Not necessarily. Brain cells are very retrainable and there are a huge quantity underused in the average person. But you have to want it and give them a work out. You don't get muscle tone without movement, you don't get brain function without thought. Exercise is key.

(look at any stroke rehab study)
Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #36
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Hmmm. Is it just my beer-loving perception, or is it mostly the reformed addicts who point and condemn this Lohan woman? Just like reformed smokers are the nastiest, rudest anti-smoking people? And the divorcees are the most anti-marriage? (uh-oh is marriage an addiction too?)

I have no time for Lohan myself, but i have little time for any celebrity. Or criminal. Yup, she's an addict. yup she tried to weasel out of punishment/rehab. yup she hoped her celebrity would help her do that.... if you took the average addict in the street and offered them celeb status, do you think they would clean up their act, or use it to try and get out of the legal consequenses of their actions?

Methinks all y'all former addicts are just jealous you didn't have celebrity to add to your arsenal of excuses for your addiction before you got cured. But you'd have used it the same way she tried to if you'd have had it.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #37
nil_orally
Larger than average member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Orly? .... And where do you stand on mental illness? Burning at the stake?
Nah, as an engineer and previously a carpenter, I think this is not a very good use of perfectly good timber.

My wife has bipolar disorder and suffers deep, deep bouts of depression. She had this condition when I met her, so I made the commitments to her in full knowledge. So to answer the question, I stand in support of anyone I can who suffers.

Why do I have such a hard attitude against drug-f*cked people like Ms Lohan? Let me see, in no particular order of impact to me:
1. A dfa (drug-f*cked ars*hole) crossed the 4 lane highway median strip and ran into my mate's car killing his wife and two kids. The dfa got off with 100 hours of community service.
2. A dfa ran into the back of my bike when stopped at a red light. No screeching tyres - no attempt to stop. Punched it out from between my legs. I ended up in the back of the tray of the ute (pickup) for about 150m, until I was thrown out as she hurled around a roundabout trying to disappear before anyone got her number. Claimed in the police interview she didn't see me because of the blizzard. It was a 35C day in December (summer in Oz). The dfa got a 3 month suspended sentence. She did not have insurance (or rego), and my insurance mob claimed market value was $3500 less than what I had paid when I rode it out of the showroom an hour and a half earlier.
3. A dfa (probably not the same one) has broken into my house or car to steal things 8 times now.
4. A dfa ruined a friend's singing career when he slashed across the face and throat because she was taking too long to hand over her phone and purse when being mugged. She was shaking with fear at the time. She still talks strangely, and refuses to look people in the eye in case she sees them looking at her facial scar. 23 stitches. The dfa had a sob story, so got a suspended sentence. Marteen is still serving hers.

Calling a drug addiction a disease implies the person has a medical condition that requires our empathy. Bullshit. These people need a funnel inserted into an orifice and one of their victims to pour aqua regia in, preferably warmed to 20C above ambient. I would not suggest the mouth, as then one wouldn't hear the screams.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #38
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil_orally View Post
Nope - it's a choice. A disease is an illness, like leukaemia, influenza or mumps. Most people do not chose to get a disease.
By that criterion:
Everyone who got skin cancer from sun bathing. They did it to themselves. Fuck them they don't need chemotherapy because they choose to go in the sun.

Depression because you choose to stay in bed you choose to not go outside you choose to eat a bullet. They don't need therapy or anti-depressants because they choose to let themselves be taken over my sadness

How about schizophrenia they choose to hear the voices, they choose to listen to them so why do they need medication.

All pain suffering and illness can be show as a sequence of choices that doesn't mean someone doesn't need help.

Furthermore, she can be both a bitch and an alcoholic they are not mutually exclusive

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #39
SPUCK
Professor

---Webstirs Dicktionary---

Main Entry: los·er
Pronunciation: \ˈlü-zər\
Function: noun

1 : a person or thing that loses especially consistently
2 : a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed; also : something doomed to fail or disappoint
3: Lindsay Lohan
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #40
Shawnee123

I can't wait to make fun of all your kids and revel in their misgivings. Please to list all your friends, family, and associates who are dealing with demons, so that I may point out how horrible they are as humans. Those on the road to recovery need not apply, unless they slip, then the mighty hammer of guilt shall be brought down upon their heads. That'll keep 'em straight.

edit: the girl received fair punishment, that hopefully will get her on the road to recovery. Why are so many so bitter at HER, just another addict in a sea? Because she's a celebrity. Seems silly, disease knows no social status. I suspect an underlying whine "but if I had all SHE has I'd be grateful and oh so responsible." You don't know. You haven't walked a mile in her 4000 shoes. Jealousy.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 07-09-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #41
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

monster - I have sympathy for LiLo. She's cute and rich and talented - a deadly trifecta for an addict if ever there was one.

I have been forced to watch her slow train wreck of a life and I get no happiness from it. I know I'm an addict - I know I am weak and I know my brain has been warped and habituated due to my own choices (that soon enough weren't 'choices' but 'compulsions')

Lindsay is crying, begging for help IMHO. Even the tips of her fingers are a cry for help. I hope someone is strong enough to give her the help she needs. she NEEDS jail/rehab. She probably needs a bodyguard to protect her from herself.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #42
Griff
still says videotape

The girl needs to change her mind, but I can't see where she'd get the determination from. Jail time might be a chance to breath but she needs to do some serious work by herself on herself. She strikes me as too cynical to embrace whatever system "The Man" foists on her. Has there ever been a child actor who didn't have a crack-up?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by toranokaze View Post
All pain suffering and illness can be show as a sequence of choices that doesn't mean someone doesn't need help.
Yes help, not sympathy.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #44
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Oh the poor thing - she's an addict.
Take it easy on her.
Its not her fault.
She can't help herself.
Its a disease.
Give her a hug.

STOP ENABLING THE FUCKING BAD BEHAVIOR
before something really terrible happens that affects not only hers, but dozens of other peoples lives as well.... FOREVER.
This can and does end up as a life sentence for completely innocent people.

ETA: for some it is already too late. Perhaps its not for her.
Look at Drew Barrymore for example.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #45
Shawnee123

Hypocrite. Of all people.