The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #211
glatt

how about Cheerios? I thought all kids ate them. They're very healthy too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #212
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

Nope. Not even Cheerios. He used to eat them, but has decided he does not like them.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #213
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

my kid's problem is that if it ain't in the form of deep fried chicken nugget or sugar, it's inedible. which is crap. and I have no problem with the fact I make her eat a square meal and refuse to be manipulated.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #214
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Exactly my problem, smurf. If it's a bowl of ice cream or mac and cheese, or a plate of pancakes with syrup it gets gobbled up in seconds. If it is black bean soup or a burrito it is sat over, pouted about and one bite chewed on for half an hour.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #215
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I also make my daughter at least try some of everything on her plate. If it's something new, and she doesn't like it, she can spit it out into her napkin. Usually, if she balks at what's for dinner, the one bite thing leads to more, sometimes until what was formerly gross, is gone.

I have never made her eat her food. She gets no treats the rest of the night, and goes to bed hungry if need be. She also is extra hungry the next morning, so I always make sure there are bananas, oranges, yorgurt etc. for her to eat the next morning before daycare. She gets breakfast and lunch and snacks at daycare, which I have no control over what/how much she eats.

She is 4.5 years old, 50 lbs and 90th %ile for height.

Some of the same aged kids in her daycare are positively skeletal in comparison.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #216
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfalicious View Post
my kid's problem is that if it ain't in the form of deep fried chicken nugget or sugar, it's inedible. which is crap. and I have no problem with the fact I make her eat a square meal and refuse to be manipulated.
I hope you're not offended by what I said - it's your kid, not mine.... I just don't play that game. I'm the mom, if I don't want my kids eating it, I don't buy or serve it.

Quote:
She is 4.5 years old, 50 lbs and 90th %ile for height.
My just-turned 7 year old weighs 52lbs and is often mistaken for an 8 or 9 year old.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #217
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I hope you're not offended by what I said - it's your kid, not mine.... I just don't play that game. I'm the mom, if I don't want my kids eating it, I don't buy or serve it.
I feel the same way. It's rare that we do anything processed.

Unfortunately, our kids are in a different household several months out of the year.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #218
jinx
Come on, cat.

Ah, yeah... thats gotta complicate things. Mine don't even go to school, so I have a pretty good handle on what they eat, lol...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #219
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Wow and everyone thinks T is huge.

He was 4 in March, is 48lbs and 97%ile for height.

Ad is 2.5 and 35lbs, but off the chart for height.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #220
smurfalicious

Quote:
I hope you're not offended by what I said
not at all.

I should have been more clear... I don't force-feed her when she's not hungry, or stuff she doesn't genuinely like - like mushrooms and tomatoes. If occasionally she's not hungry or doesn't like something, that's fine, I'm a little picky myself. I'm thinking of how she'll eat meatloaf for Grandma, but not for me. It's the same meatloaf. That's what I have a problem with. Plus, I don't see what she eats all day long at school - and since she comes home every day telling me about the candy and soda and ice cream they had, I'm not confident she's getting much real nutrition throughout the day, so I do push for a healthy dinner.

But when she says "I'm not hungry" and scowls at the steak and baked potato, and I say "well, we have chicken nuggets and french fries" and she perks up and suddenly is starving, yeah, she's totally full of shit. "No nuggets for you!"

Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #221
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
I'm thinking of how she'll eat meatloaf for Grandma, but not for me. It's the same meatloaf.
Pfft. My kids change their minds about what they like from month to month, and you can usually count on one of them liking something and the other not--except which one is which changes over time!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #222
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Ah, yeah... thats gotta complicate things. Mine don't even go to school, so I have a pretty good handle on what they eat, lol...
Do you home school them?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #223
smurfalicious

The Girl: Can I go with my friend Sara to SeaWorld? Her mom got a hotel room with a cajuzzi (jacuzzi).

Me: (lol) No, remember - we're going somewhere special this weekend?

The Girl: Oh yeah - we're going to the astronaut senator (Kennedy Space Center).

Old 08-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #224
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

My D11 is tiny and always has been. She was born a month premature. She hovers around 10-15th percentile for her age. However, she's healthy and intelligent and developing right on schedule. I don't worry about comparing her to other kids in the 50th or 95th percentile. I feed my family balanced meals which they can choose to eat or not. If not, they go hungry. Commercially made snacks (cookies, chips, ice cream, hotdogs, etc) are limited to one type, per person, per week. Fruit and raw veggies are plentiful and have no limit.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #225
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
The Girl: Can I go with my friend Sara to SeaWorld? Her mom got a hotel room with a cajuzzi (jacuzzi).

Me: (lol) No, remember - we're going somewhere special this weekend?

The Girl: Oh yeah - we're going to the astronaut senator (Kennedy Space Center).
God...that's so cute!
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor