The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
it
Banned

quitting smoking: virtual support group

ok, so quitting smoking has being an uphill war where i've being loosing a lot of battles. there was awhile where i did really well - over a month clean - and two weeks before that with one smoke between - but that was when i was still doing it for my ex-wife... and then when i realized she's probably never going to come to her senses (or at least listen like an adult so she can be brought to them), that she's not worth any more suffering on my part then i already have to take, well, that included withdrawal symptoms. but now, i need to be able to do this if i want good money to send my stepson's university account, be alive when he's 18, and honestly i am starting to fantasize about how different my physical being might feel if i did quit smoking long enough for my lungs to actually start clearing up.

so i had this idea: what about a virtual support group? is there anyone else here who wants to quit smoking with me?
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

As you've discovered, the only person you can give up smoking for is yourself. I can't join you on your journey because I've done it and, yes, I fell a few times along the way too.
The best advice I can give is that once you stop smoking you are a non-smoker. By which I mean don't wait to give yourself that title until after you've been clean for a period of time, adopt it straight away.
Also, I think distractions are good. Your plan of exercising every time you wanted a smoke was a good one, but not always practical. Have a couple of strategies (including that one) to adopt (crosswords, nibbling on carrots?).
Good luck.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I gave up smoking too. But I will be happy to help you any way I can.

For me, it was my doctor telling me that smoking and estrogen do not mix and at my regular dosage, I had a one in two chance of stroking out before I was finished. While I believe that she was exaggerating the odds, at the same time, I realized that I am beginning a new life and I get a fresh start and I decided that Pamela would be a non-smoker. Plus it would save a LOT of money.

If you are living with a smoker while you are trying to quit, it will be more difficult at first, but as your lungs clear out (yes, they WILL), you will find yourself being sickened by the smell. And that will help you stay on the wagon.
Do not get discouraged if you fall off. Keep trying! The cravings are all mental after the first week. Be strong!

Talk it out if you need to. We're here for you! At least, *I* am!

Love

Pam
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

How is it coming along, Traceur?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Madman
has left the building.

I smoked for 33 years. Been smoke free for almost four years now. Best thing I ever did for myself.

The key is: you have to want to quit. If you don't make that decision then you will not quit. If you do manage to quit, you will probably only quit for a short while.

Here's some tips:

1. Make the decision to quit and list some reasons why you want to quit.

2. Find something that will replace the smoking habit. Chew gum, use the patch, take that pill, use the lozenges. Whatever it takes to make it over that hump.

3. Change your habits for awhile.

I used to drink coffee, watch the tube every morning and smoke. I spent about three weeks standing at the kitchen sink drinking my coffee staring at the clock until it was time to leave. A smoke after a meal - get up and walk or do something else. You need to change your habits just for a little while.

4. Remind yourself of the benefits of you quitting. Health, feeling better, the money you saved, etc... (if you're a pack a day smoker and you pay $6.00 a pack - you will save just over $2k in a year).

For me, it was my health. I feel a helluva lot better now than I used to. I hike in the woods, I ride bike, I go to the gym, I swim... and there are other benefits to quitting.

5. Weight gain.

If it happens, it happens. The idea is to quit smoking. I gained 25 pounds. I have since lost that weight and more. I'm at a healthy weight now for my age and height.

6. Don't stop trying. If you blow it - try again. Keep trying until you do quit. I think I quit a couple dozen times over 33 years.

7. When that day comes you sheduled to quit - toss your old cigarettes. You can give them to someone if you want - it doesn't really matter, just get rid of them. I used to try to time it - run completely out the night before I quit. Duh... that was, to say the least, dumb.

The most important part is to make that decision to quit. If you REALLY want to - you'll quit.

I'll help support you.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Excellent advice here.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Feeling a bit stressed. I am going out for a smoke.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Quitting smoking is easy guys. I should know; I've done it hundreds of times.

Nah but seriously I did "quit" in the sense that I forgot to continue. Because I'm a champion.
Does that count as willpower alone?
Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Madman
has left the building.

Numbskulls... Smoking and what it can do to a persons health is serious shit. You can crack a joke, but try to have a little respect for the person who's trying to quit. If you don't smoke then support the person who's really trying to quit. Nicotine is a drug that is highly addictive and the withdrawl from it is really tough. The good thing is that once you're over it - you're done. It's a mental game after that.

If you smoke and you're poking fun at the person trying to quit then stop being a dipshit and support the person trying to quit. Just because you're not quitting doesn't mean the other person thinks your stupid joke is funny.

Put your stupid joke in another thread - there's plenty here for you to choose from.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
JBKlyde
Banned

I am trying to quit.. I bought an electronic cigar but it broke after about a month.. cheep arse shiznt... when I get some money I am going to try the gum...
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Today is 'World No Tobacco Day'.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote