The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Buster, if money wasn't the deciding factor, wouldn't a TIG, or at least a MIG, be a lot more useful than either an arc or gas setup?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
busterb
NSABFD

Well gas is good for cutting, brazing, and silver soldering, but on thin steel it distorts from the heat. IMHO, perhaps a like of skill? MIG around the house and not used much, wire gets rusty, jams cable, and you need gas unless you use fluxcore wire. Plus the cheaper ones I've tried suck. I hate MIG!! When fab shops first got them, Some assholes thought you never needed a break. 40 lbs. of wire is a long time between breaks.
TIG I'm not good at, because I'm nervous, shaky. I can build SS beltbuckles, rings and such. But would never call myself a TIG welder.
Tig you can weld more alloys, better with, but you might need to change the gas, rods. TIG DC won't weld aluminum, TMK.
Around here the companys get a better price on bottle refills than me. Some folks come around for work, I just tell them, sorrry no gas. SOBs to cheap to pay. Sorry for TMI
BTW AC welding current will bite your butt, big time. DC you just taste and turn your fingernails blue.

Last edited by busterb; 02-07-2009 at 06:56 PM.
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #18
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I was looking at the Lincolns and wondered if they were any good. We had Millermatics in school and I liked them a lot. They are out of my price range. Actually everything is out of my price range right now, but you know.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
busterb
NSABFD

Chris. Regaurdless of what welding process you choose, you still need a few things for weld joint prep. For small home jobs a portaband saw is great for cutting angle iron and such. A grinder, buffer. As much construction as goes on around Houston, might find some buys at pawn shops?
Anything my portaband will cut I use. Cheaper the gas. BTW dealer will pickup and drop off your tanks for a small fee. NOT. They drop off next door to me, at dentist office and then charged me $6 buck saftey handling fee, by ICC regs. For a flappin 100 feet?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Buster, do you have any background with acetylene generators? Are they useful for gas welding? I don't know the first thing about them so any information you have would be useful. thanks g
Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #21
busterb
NSABFD

Griff. I worked at shop that had one, back in 63. Only thing I remember, is having to clean it out once. And they use carbide, just like old miners lights. Sorry.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks b, I'll just keep poking around.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #23
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

bb, other than taking a formal course to learn welding, can I learn some basic welding from a book or some kind of a short course online?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Try youtube, they've got everything else.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I like wolf's post best.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #26
busterb
NSABFD

If you have good hand-eye coordination and patience should be no problem.
Maye a book w/photos to show good from bad.
I haven't looked at any of these at Instructables Might be some help there. HTH bb