The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Packaging

This machine will take 1000 different sized items and make not boxes but cardboard packages to ship them, in an hour. That include puting the item inside and labeling.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 06-09-2019 at 11:43 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Trippy!
I am gone for the count when a re-run of "How Things are Made" comes on TV.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The flanges around the package should provide some bump protection.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

No more of those giant Amazon boxes of padding to hold one little object. This is good. Way back in the 80's we had an automated parts picker, that human scanning is superfluous.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

As companies like Walmart move towards competition with the existing Amazon, Amazon already has plans to eliminate maybe 3000 jobs by automating the boxing.

BTW, eliminating jobs that way (innovating) always means more jobs in the economy.

An example of how Amazon innovations are / will be keeping it ahead of the competition.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
BTW, eliminating jobs that way (innovating) always means more jobs in the economy.
Prove it.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Prove it.
Let's assume your belief. We can make more jobs by removing computers from all COs and reinstalling human operators. That makes more jobs - according to myth generated by soundbyte reasoning. What really happens? Massive job losses elsewhere and stifled innovations - future jobs not created.

Yes, like all money games, those boxing machines cause short term job losses - ie one to four years later. And then result in massive job increases everywhere else four and more years later. Economics always worked that way.

What made America great and so productive? The constant replacement of humans by machines. That reality has never changed. But not understood by many who want to see all results immediately - ie one year later.

Anytime a machine replaces a human, then more jobs are created. It makes no sense when one thinks in terms of open loop systems. It makes complete sense when one is viewing in realities - closed loop systems. Most do not know how to view in terms that apply to reality - ie weather, world conflicts, economics, electricity, and even general relativity. Even explains why soundbytes (ie advertising) so easily manipulate the naive.

Whenever machines replace humans, more jobs are always created in the economy. But only when one views the bigger picture - a closed loop system.

The scary part - that someone in America would not know that well proven and obvious fact.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Let’s assume I’m pro-automation. Let’s make me an automation utopian rather than dystopian. Get me from today to 2100 without blood in the streets from displaced blue collar workers. I don’t think retraining ever gets the job done. Could we instead have the machines pay us?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Get me from today to 2100 without blood in the streets from displaced blue collar workers.
You have assumed smarter means harder. How did a 14 year old kid learn how to program a computer in the early 1960s. People are much smarter than some would assume. More automation often means the blue collar worker needs less abilities.

We should ban all vending machines so that more people remain standing about in restaurants?

Ask a McDonald employee to make change without that cash register. Notice how automation even makes jobs possible for employees with less abilities.

But we know this is well proven in history. When automation replaces humans, then the economy always creates more jobs. It is only confusing to people who think in terms of Trump style soundbytes. Or who do not understand the difference between closed loop and open loop systems (ie economics).

That same open loop rhetoric also says tax cuts increase jobs. Reality. The resulting closed loop system results in job losses many years later. Closed loop systems also involve an ignored factor called time.

Soundbyte logic (using open loop reasoning) only sees a job lost today because of a box making machine installed today. And does not see the so many resulting new jobs so many years later.

Again, how to create less jobs. Replace those telco switching computers with operators. A resulting recession means less jobs. That has never changed.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

For tw life must be exasperating having to live among only lesser souls.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

He writes as if someone here suggested not embracing the new tech.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
For tw life must be exasperating
Sorry that I used too many big words. I will try to do better.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
tw

Troglodyte - a person who fears automation because it somehow destroys jobs. The myth, for some strange reason, lives on.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Now he's re-writing international politics, economic policy, and the dictionary.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

I’m concerned that he may be advising the Biden campaign.