The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Key al Qaeda militant killed in U.S. airstrike

I'm kinda thinking this had something to do with that "treasure trove" of intel we got from Osama's compound.

Quote:
(AP)

DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan — A top al Qaeda commander and possible replacement for Osama bin Laden was killed in an American drone-fired missile strike close to the Afghan border, a fax from the militant group he heads and a Pakistani intelligence official said Saturday.

Ilyas Kashmiri's apparent death is another blow to al Qaeda just over a month after bin Laden was killed by American commandos in a northwest Pakistani army town. Described by U.S. officials as al Qaeda's military operations chief in Pakistan, the 47-year-old Pakistani was one of five most-wanted militant leaders in the country, accused of a string of bloody attacks in South Asia, including the 2008 Mumbai massacre, as well as aiding plots in the West.

His death was not confirmed publicly by the United States or Pakistani officials. Verifying who has been killed in the drone strikes is difficult. Initial reports have turned out to be wrong in the past, including one in September 2009 that said Kashmiri had been killed. Sometimes they are never formally denied or confirmed by authorities here or in the United States.

But a fax from the militant group he was heading - Harakat-ul-Jihad al-Islami's feared "313 Brigade" -; confirmed Kashmiri was "martyred" in the strike at 11:15 p.m. Friday in South Waziristan tribal region. It was sent to journalists in Peshawar.

"God willing, America, which is the 'pharaoh' of this, will soon see a revenge attack, and our real target is America," it said. The statement was handwritten written on a white page bearing name of the group, which has not previously communicated with the media.

The Pakistani official also said Kashmiri was among nine militants killed in the strike. He spoke on condition of anonymity in line with his agency's policy. On Friday night, officials said several missiles hit a compound. The official Saturday said the men were meeting in an apple orchard near the house when the missiles hit.

Kashmiri's name was on a list of militants that the United States and Pakistan recently agreed to jointly target, officials have said. The successful strike could help repair ties between the two countries that were badly damaged by the unilateral American raid, especially if Islamabad helped provide intelligence leading up to the attack.
link

I gotta say Obama is making Bush look like an amateur.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I keep reading militant as mutant in this thread title.
Quote:
I'm kinda thinking this had something to do with that "treasure trove" of intel we got from Osama's compound.
Agreed. Expect more.

I just wish Osama was still alive to see the total lack of a tsunami of terrorism following his demise.
Nope. Just you mate, sleeping with the fishies.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I gotta say Obama is making Bush look like an amateur.
Neither Obama or Bush had anything to do with it. It was the troops and people in Intel who are making it happen. All those two clowns have done is give them permission.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

It is interesting that Obama set out a clear policy towards Pakistan when he was campaigning in 07 and said:
Quote:
“I understand that (Pakistan) President Musharraf has his own challenges. But let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. It was a terrible mistake to fail to act when we had a chance to take out an al-Qaida leadership meeting in 2005. If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won’t act, we will.”
For which his challengers jumped all over his ass:
Quote:
“Sen. John McCain of Arizona, close to clinching the GOP nomination, called Sen. Barack Obama ‘naive’ today and…blasted him for advocating a bombing of Al Qaeda hide-outs in Pakistan,” the Los Angeles Times reports.

Sarah Palin’s pointed criticism of Barack Obama’s foreign policy agenda Tuesday morning included a swipe at Obama’s stated commitment to strike at terrorists inside Pakistan’s borders if they are in the sights of the American military.

“Senator Obama has also advocated sending our U.S. military into Pakistan without the approval of the Pakistani government,” Palin said. “Invading the sovereign territory of a troubled partner in the war against terrorism.”

http://firedoglake.com/2011/05/02/in...s-in-pakistan/
It is also interesting to note that Bush did not authorize strikes into Pakistan w/o prior Pakistani approval until 08, given that he had diverted so many of the resources to Iraq, where there was no terrorist threat to the US.

Presidents deserve credit for broad policy decisions that work and deserve the blame when those policies fail.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Presidents deserve credit for broad policy decisions that work and deserve the blame when those policies fail.
Agreed. The direction and the resources directed toward them. Not the actions themselves. Thats where the men/women who performed get the credit. (Which is what Merc is referring to)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Agreed. The direction and the resources directed toward them. Not the actions themselves. Thats where the men/women who performed get the credit. (Which is what Merc is referring to)
Everyone, including Obama, gave the appropriate credit to the forces that were involved and the intel.

Those "clowns" as he called the presidents, had a little great role than just giving permission. There would have been no action w/o the appropriate policy in place and resources committed to support that policy.

I recall Carter being blamed for the failed hostage rescue mission in Iran and Clinton being blamed for the failed mission in Somalia, even though they didnt participate in the mission.

Why do I think Mercenary would have found a way to blame Obama if this mission had failed?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Why do I think Mercenary would have found a way to blame Obama if the mission had failed?
You may be right, but this is kinda pointless.
We know Merc's politicals and adjust to taste. Baiting helps no-one.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
You may be right, but this is kinda pointless.
We know Merc's politicals and adjust to taste. Baiting helps no-one.
I find him tasteless, but thats just me.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

All I can say is your better side is more easily appealed to than Merc's.
I don't dislike him - Merc, I don't dislike you - but he can get petty and he can get personal.

A bear is a bear is a bear, even if you dress it up and call it Susan. So pierce its ears.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

I get what you're saying, but I dont think it was baiting any more than:

You'll do jack shit, except piss & moan, spew hate... or ....merc can turn any thread into an anti-Obama swipe.

Just calling it like I see it, as have others.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Hey - I don't get involved in those things.
I also try not to dredge up the past.
I just happened to be in this thread and tried to nip it in the bud.

YMMV
Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I just happened to be in this thread and tried to nip it in the bud.
I havent had a good bud in years.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
classicman

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but I dont think it was baiting any more than:

You'll do jack shit, except piss & moan, spew hate. or
merc can turn any thread into an anti-Obama swipe.

Just calling it like I see it, as have others.
Translation = Its ok cuz Bruce did it too. So what? What are you 12? Dude. Stop. Really. Its not becoming.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

I made the point I wanted to make as several others have. I dont intend to beat it to death.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
classicman

Quote:
I dont intend to beat it to death.
You already have. THAT is the point.