The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #586
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh yum. Is that smoked sausage? One of my favrites!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #587
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Somewhere in this thread, I don't doubt, we have had the discussion about whether dinner means midday or evening meal...I probably participated. But I seriously can't be arsed going back to find out ;P

For my dinner, by which I mean my midday meal, except that I ate it late, at tea-time...

*takes a breath*

ok...dinner was creamed garlic mushrooms over a jacket potato, with just a little grated cheese (extra-extra-read all about it-cheddar).

It was most tasty. I just wish i didn't have to shove the couch into the centre of the room before cooking. It's the only way to stop the little Carrotfiend from stealing bits of food and kitchen utensils. That and it's not really hygenic to be chopping on a chopping board whilst a bearded collie tries to lick up the bits.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #588
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Oh yum. Is that smoked sausage? One of my favrites!
Kielbasa actually
Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #589
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yesterday when the SIL was here, I took some chicken thighs and used my flavor injector (a big syringe) to inject orange juice with garlic and poultry seasoning in it.
Because it was raining I had to bake them instead of grilling them. But I got rave reviews.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #590
wolf
lobber of scimitars

More Onigiri.

This time I did use an onigiri shaper ... two, actually. One traditional, one star. I have some others but didn't feel like washing all of them.

The process actually goes faster when you mush them together with your hands, but it's less painful to use the molds. And they're tidier. And I was able to put more filling into them.

Still using the chicken and spices as a filling. I went to the Asian market today, and after not finding any ume paste, I asked the owner. He explained that you don't see the paste because the stuff costs $15 for a very small jar. He did show me a big jar of preserved plums, but even at $5 I thought that was more of an investment that I was willing to make for something I'm not sure that I'll like.
Attached Images

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #591
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Half a leftover roast chicken from last night.
I'm making chicken curry.
Going to serve it on naan bread, which will be different for the 'rents, as they are used to having bread as a side rather than as a plate!

Am making Tikka Massala as although Dad likes curry his palate is very much attuned to the shop-bought varieties - apparently mine have too many herbs and spices (?!) so I'm following quite a bland recipe.

The naans are also shop bought, but from M&S. The best naans I've ever had outside real Indian cookery. I'll be doing some kind of rice too, but not too much.

I'll take a pic.
Fingers crossed it will be acceptable to all parties.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #592
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Wolf:
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #593
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
More Onigiri.

This time I did use an onigiri shaper ... two, actually. One traditional, one star. I have some others but didn't feel like washing all of them.

The process actually goes faster when you mush them together with your hands, but it's less painful to use the molds. And they're tidier. And I was able to put more filling into them.

Still using the chicken and spices as a filling. I went to the Asian market today, and after not finding any ume paste, I asked the owner. He explained that you don't see the paste because the stuff costs $15 for a very small jar. He did show me a big jar of preserved plums, but even at $5 I thought that was more of an investment that I was willing to make for something I'm not sure that I'll like.
I bet I could find your "ume" downtown in the International District. There are numerous asian grocery stores, the all time king of which is Uwajimaya. ... interested?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #594
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Didn't take a pic. Oops.
Went down well.

Except...

Well it wasn't very spicy at all.
Fine - I was catering for my parents.
I forgot that the combination of drugs I'm on have given me... a slightly fluid response to food.
I was in agony last night. I honestly thought I would have to go to the Doctors today. I was as raw as a potato rubbed with salt.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #595
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I bet I could find your "ume" downtown in the International District. There are numerous asian grocery stores, the all time king of which is Uwajimaya. ... interested?
There is a big Asian grocer here over in North Wales, I'm hoping to be able to check it out at some point, but haven't been able to make the time with the new job and all the other stuff that is going on. I think that I might try to find a place that makes bento with the ume onigiri to try some before I invest in the stuff, since it's so darn expensive. I have no idea if I'll like it or not.

If I ever make it out to your neck of the woods, I'd certainly give the International District in your town a try.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #596
DanaC

Sundae, is that erythrimicin (sp?) you'e taking?
It's a bit of a sod on the old digestion. I take it when my eczema infects and it always knocks me sick to my stomach. One way to alleviate that is to drink actimel or yakult daily whilst you're on it.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #597
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That's the bugger.
Damn, I hoped it was the steroids.
I have another 2 weeks of this then!

Today has been much better though.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #598
DanaC

I can seriously recommend the actimel. A friend of mine who also gets queasy with the erethrimycin swears by them. Thought it was bollox m'self, but when I asked my doc, she agreed that it has been known to help, so I tried it. Certainly took the edge off.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #599
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Can you take something like Inner Health Plus? You don't take it at the same time as the pills. About half way in between doses. It helps keep your digestive tract working properly. Any high strength pro-biotic would do, but IHP is the one I take when I'm on anti-biotics.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #600
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Tonight I'm cooking Chinese style pork belly and some kind of veges. Not sure what yet. I have some prawns, so might do a garlic prawn and greens stir fry with some rice. We'll see how vomitous I am by cooking dinner time.