The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

4 way stops.
If you come to a 4 way intersection and stop. And I'm approaching from your left or right but still 100 feet from the intersection. GO, goddamn it! Don't wait for me to get to the intersection and stop then make we wait for you to get the hell out of the intersection before I can go.
Afraid I don't see the stop sign? Even if I don't, I'll see your damn car. Even if you are afraid I'm going too fast to stop, I can slow enough to not hit you, so just GO!

When in the course of human events, you're traveling along at say 30 or 40, and the car in front of you makes a right or left turn. You will have to slow to probably 15 or even 5 to avoid hitting them.....no problem. BUT, once they have made their turn, there is not one reason on God's green earth for you to proceed at 15 for the next quarter mile before you resume speed. The faster you stop becoming an obstruction, the shorter the "memory" will last in the traffic pattern.

And another thing, you are supposed to be doing the same speed as traffic when you get to the bottom of the ramp so merging is a very simple thing.
If you only have 70 hp stay the hell off the road.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 09-03-2005 at 09:16 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

When they stop building them with decreasing radius turns and 25 feet of running room, I'll try that.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If your car can't take that bend at 30mph, you need a better car. From 30 to 50 isn't that much of a leap if you have more than 70hp and don't have 6 tons of crap in the trunk.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #19
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
  • Turns into traffic in the middle of a block. If it's rush hour and you're trying to turn left onto a 5 lane highway out of a gas station, Wawa, etc. with no traffic light to help you, there's two things you need to know. First, it's probably a stupid idea. Second, if somebody in the lane closest to you is nice (but dumb) enough to stop and let you out, that doesn't mean the people in the other four fucking lanes know you're coming and are stopping for you.
You get bonus points for doing this while yakking on a mobile phone while paying no obvious attention to what the other cars are doing.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #20
FallenFairy
nope

Did no one mention TURN SIGNALS?? Yes, I checked to be sure before bringing this up - every car made in America has turn signals as a basic option in a car.... I want one of those programmable message screens to remind people to simply...

"Indicate your f***ing intentions!"

I live in Virginia, work in DC... and drive Interstate 95 morning and evening, 56 miles in each direction...some one say a prayer!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #21
maffick
Maffick

great post. The shit traffic in Philly is one of the main reasons I moved to central PA. I was commuting 20 miles from Roxborough to East Swedesford road on the shurkill everyday, frequently that 20 mile drive would take me 2 hours! I was an extremely aggresive driver (only way to survive) and I would arirve at work pissed of due to road rage almost daily. I took a big salary cut, and moved out of the city with my wife, and about 8 years later, I am now pretty much road rage free. I do drive back into Philly to see the in-laws, and I basically piss everyone else on the road off now, beacuse I leave a safe distance between my car, and the car in front of me, and of course that dirves a typical Philly driver insane. That being said, Boston is even worse....
maffick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Turns into traffic in the middle of a block.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFairy
Did no one mention TURN SIGNALS?? Yes, I checked to be sure before bringing this up - every car made in America has turn signals as a basic option in a car.... I want one of those programmable message screens to remind people to simply...

"Indicate your f***ing intentions!"
Whatta ya nuts? Tip my hand? Give 'em time to develop a counter attack?
Not this kid. :p

And yeah, Boston beats 'em all.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #24
glatt

Great pictures. His wheelbase is just a little too long. How much you want to bet he saw a small hatchback do the illegal move with success and he tried to copy it?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #25
Becca
Questionist

Ahh traffic...........at least you don't live in BFE!
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #26
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca
Ahh traffic...........at least you don't live in BFE!
Ok. I'll bite. BFE?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #27
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

bum fucking Egypt.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #28
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

How about when you're driving along in the left lane, doing about sixty, and the guy in the right lane pulls in front of you - doing 50!

Or the two cars in front of you who are doing the same exact speed right beside each other - even though there's nobody in front of them!

If you hate philly traffic, try South Jersey. I go around two traffic circles on the way home. Talk about a pissing contest - if you stop, you're stuck for a llllooonnnggg time.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #29
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
If you're taking Rt. 1 southbound, it used to be that the rightmost lane disappeared with a "merge left" sign for about 50 feet and then the lane to exit onto the Blue Route reopened. Needless to say, almost anybody with half a brain would just drive on the shoulder rather than do that merge. They've now changed it so the lane just stays open all the way to the exit.
Wasn't that the stupidest setup? I'd just like to take the opportuniy to thank Swarthmore College for limiting the Blue Route to just two lanes below Westchester Pike
Old 02-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #30
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I get behind farm trucks/tractors on my commute. Curvy 2 lane roads at 45 mph. I know they have to travel slowly. Point taken.

But why the fock don't they wait till the regular majority are at work and then move their equipment? It would be a helluva lot safer for everyone. And it's not like the damn field is gonna change that much in two hours. Whew. I feel better now. Thanks.