The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-27-2004, 12:29 AM   #31
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

I've just got a new computer and have been playing quite a few games actually. I really like the Medal of Honor series. I'm just about done with Breakthrough and will likely get the Pacific Assault as well.

While these games are fun, I really miss the games from Sierra a lot. Kings Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, et al. I liked the controls and the fact that although you may know what to do, you have to figure out the exact phrase to type in to get em to do it. I remember being stumped on Police Quest for a week or better trying to arrest a drunk driver. Now it's all point and click and try to find the hidden treasures.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:36 AM   #32
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There was a certain joy to trying to figure out EXACTLY how to properly order the condom from the chinese guy at the convience store ...

I have a copy of the Zork games. I should play them again. I agree on the looking for the sweet spot type games ... not as much fun.

I recently had a lot of fun with the game "Sanitarium" ... got it for under $5, but had a lot of fun playing with it. Some of the puzzles got tedious, but other than that it was spooky and atmospheric. I'm also a sucker for a game set in a nuthouse ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:19 AM   #33
jaguar
whig

The moneky island and Indiana Jones series rocked hard.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:59 AM   #34
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Here is a band of programmers making remakes of classic Sierra games. KQ1 and 2 are done, and they are working on QFG2. Very good.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 02:11 AM   #35
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Compare UT2003 and 2004 to me please!

I was disappointed with 2003 because it felt too cartoonish. I'm not shooting a weapon, I'm shooting a pretend version of one that could never ever really exist. It also felt too twitchy-oriented and fast-pace oriented.
I never really had a whole lot of experience with 2k3. My friend just started getting me into UT when 2k4 came out, so we just ended up switching over to that.

In regards to the weaponry, pistol's been replaced by an assault rifle, but all the other weapons are the same. The deathmatches are super "You're quick or you're dead", but there are a ton of other different match styles, not all that follow along to that.

The big grief I have with 2k4 over 2k3 is that when a bot gets a wave gun and uses alt fire, that beam always stays with you. With another player, you can juke a few times and break the lock, but a bot's lock is like iron. It's sick.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #36
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

We have a PS2, all the Nintendos and an XBox here (I just wired the broadband into the living room for XBox Live yesterday), but the kids do almost all of the console gaming. I like "realtime" stuff...racing, soccer, football, golf, flight sims, FPS. I *suck* at strategy games...suck beyond belief.

All that said, I probably don't spend two hours per week gaming.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:31 PM   #37
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

First Person Shooters

I've been playing interactive first person shooters. My basic requirement is that they be free to play over the Internet. All of the games below are free to play over Internet. America's Army is completely free, although the 600+ MB download is only something you can do with broadband.

America's Army is the official game brought to us by the US Army. Very realistic, with a nice training component. They just did a major release change. I now qualified as a medic by taking short classes and exams in first aid, including how to treat shock and blood loss.

A nice component of the game is that you have to earn your way to be able to use certain skills.

Day of Defeat is a mod (modification) built on the Half-Life engine. It turns a science fiction game into a WWII reenactment. The skirmishes are German vs British or German vs American. Some games are capture the flag and some require demolition. The simplest ones are with both sides in simlar positions. The toughest ones are with the Germans in an entrenched position. Since fortifications are a force multiplier, this means that if the teams are even the Germans can have an effective 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 advantage. If it weren't for multiple lives, reenacting the Normandy invasion with even teams would quickly lead to an alternate reality in which the Germans win.

In my opinion the Germans have better equipment than the Americans who have better equipment than the British. Since I don't ever play the Germans, my solution to this is to take dropped weapons before they disappear.

Counterstrike is another Half-Life mod. I haven't been playing much of it lately. This is a terrorist vs counter-terrorist game. The weapons are realistic. The locations, from small villages to modern office buildings are also realistic. One note to this game is that there was an airport-airplane hostage rescue scenario that I have not seen post-9/11.

Starseige Tribes 1 is my personal favorite. This game is a futuristic infantry squad game that was designed to only be played online. I bought Tribes II when the original stopped working, since I thought the company had purposely dropped support for Tribes 1. I am happy to report that as of last night it is back again and I am playing it again for the first time in almost 2 years. The graphics on Tribes 1 are more cartoonish than Tribes II, but the gameplay and user support are much better developed.

The original Tribes 1 had 3 armor types and maybe two dozen items between weapons and supplies which could be used. User modifications, there are a dozen different mods, stretched it to about ten kinds of specialized armor and as many as 50 items, including tacital nuclear weapons. The armor was balanced so that heavier armor sacrificed speed and agility. In addition to the jet pack on all armor which can only fly in 10-20 seond bursts, there were three basic aircraft 'jeeps' which were expanded in the mod games and in Tribes II.

My favorite part of the game is that in addition to the capture the flag aspect, there are items which can be broken to destroy the intelligence or supply capability of teams. This would require players to suit up as an engineer and repair radar or solar panels. Unfortunately, this made them a targer for snipers. After this happended to me in a few games, I made it a point to carry a scoped rife, which the mod allowed me to do. If he didn't get me on the first shot, or after I came back, I would sneak around and wait until the sniper stuck his head up from behind a nearby ridge for another shot.

Of course the usual course of action for dealing with 'sappers' was to have a whole group of heavily armored individuals pop out and lay down mortars across the ridge top or by remotely controlling turrets.

If you don't mind graphics that look a little more like anime than modern computer-shaded animation, the gameplay on Tribes 1 is better and the specialization in the mods lets you suit up almost any way you like. Tribes 1 is now under $10 and the patch is available to bring it up to date.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 04-03-2004 at 12:34 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #38
jaguar
whig

DoD (Day of Defeat) rocks hard and promotes much better squad-play than CS ever did or will. CS doesn't enforce enough realism to make people work as teams, the nature of DoD lends itself to it excellently making IMHO for a better experience, particularly for clans.

If oneone is interested there is an emeulator for many Sierra classics (Indiana jones, Day of the tentacle etc) called SCUMMV (google is your friend), if anyone needs ROMS PM me and we'll see what we can do.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:53 PM   #39
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
DoD (Day of Defeat) rocks hard and promotes much better squad-play than CS ever did or will. CS doesn't enforce enough realism to make people work as teams, the nature of DoD lends itself to it excellently making IMHO for a better experience, particularly for clans.
I still like Tribes better in that you can defeat the enemy by destroying his capability to supply himself and gather intelligence. Plus, the jetpacks are kool!

In that case, you would probably like America's Army. What is nice is that there is a point system where the players carry their rating around from game to game.

Of course, the results are sent to the Army, so if you score really well you'll be the first person they draft in the next six years.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 04-03-2004 at 12:56 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #40
jaguar
whig

If your army recruits me I'm in some deep shit
So are they.

Tribes is legendary. LAN games were particularly good for the server admin's ability to modify pretty much everything in the game in realtime, someone's carrying the flag, they get fragged and SHIT the flag starts bouncing around! Of course this could be hazerdous for the admin who could end up being assulted with cold pizza.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:55 PM   #41
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

One of the great points of my high school career was when we set up the dedicated server on the campus LAN for Tribes games and just virtually ceased coding. (It was a Visual Basic class, it's not like we didn't have the time to spare.)

Tribes is the perennial classic, I just play UT because Tribes hasn't really made its way into my dorm yet. We'll roll with StarCraft and AoE II over here on the strategy side of things, don't know where anyone else stands.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #42
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

drool.. drool

hardcore addict over here... PC, PS2, Ps1, supernintendo (gotta love them lemmings)and a really really old atari 2600... and still junking out on pinball whenever i get the chance... I play pretty much everything except sports games (but if I could find a copy of pitball for the Sega Genesis.. oh man oh man I wouldn't leave home for a week)

currently playing

American Mc'gees Alice
GTA3
Primal
Lemmings
Inetlligent Qube (payed 40$ for the damn thing on ebay!)
Dragons Lair for XP (childhood addiction)
Neverwinter Nights
Final Fantasy X (saving up for the new new one)
*sigh* if there were only two of me one could stay home and play while the other one worked..

on a side note in GTA3 on the chatterbox radio mode.. the whole thing about pogo the monkey and when the mother is talking about her sons dog getting run over and he's beggin her to hit the 'reset' button.. I think that may be a problem that actually occures, the dis-association of video games and reality in the children growing up today. no, I don't have any studies handy that would prove this, but an ex g/f of mines' son had displayed some thinking alng these lines and it took me a while to reason it out to him the difference... but then again he didn't get alot of outside human reaction.. I dunno just a thought
Old 04-14-2004, 04:14 PM   #43
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've got American McGee's Alice on the stack. Last time I played it, it was a bit choppy. My new system has a bit more muscle.

I'm currently playing Arcanum. The "Fallout" interface on a fantasy game is interesting.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:32 PM   #44
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'm thinking about a Gameboy Advance SP to replace the Gameboy Advance my daughter lost. (And before anybody asks, no, she's not touching this one.) Though I'm digging around for a good price just on principle... seems like they never go on sale. (I am surprised the Gameboy Advance prices haven't gone down any more than they have, with the introduction of the cooler SP model.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #45
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

My PS2 has been dormant lately (I've had Kingdom Hearts, Wizardry: TOTFL and Monster Rancher 4 on hold for months now), but the next few weeks should wear it out:

April 20: Siren. Jack into the heads of eerie white-eyed Japanese zombies that grin and cry while they rend you limb from limb. My wife will be all over this one.

April 27: Red Dead Revolver. Rockstar Games meets Once Upon A Time In The West.

May 4: La Pucelle: Tactics, the prequel to Disgaea. Do I have to say another word?

May 6: Samurai Warriors. The Dynasty Warriors engine transported to feudal Japan. Do I have to say another word?

I should surface some time in July, I think.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote