The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #4111
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You tormented crossword puzzle freaks and suffering students of English Comp, who need an object for your derision, center for your dartboard, chose Shakespeare/Bacon. Although there are five times as many English words today, he(they) started the great expansion of words for words sake.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #4112
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Nice. Made me think of this:

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #4113
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

well done.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #4114
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

This is not me.
But apparently looks like like me. Seen by a friend on an online advert.

Hmmmm. I wonder why she looked twice and considered it might be me?
I obviously give out that mature dating website vibe.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #4115
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Now comes a California law suit involving 2 nuns, an archbishop, a pop-singer, and a land-developer ...
which it will be decided by a judge whose last name is O’Brien.

Who do you think is going to win this ?
Or... when it comes to a battles with nuns, where has
Archbishop Jose Gomez been for the past couple of years ?

2 Nuns, a Developer and Katy Perry Walk Into a Real Estate Deal
NY Times - MICHAEL CIEPLY - JULY 2, 2015
Quote:
LOS ANGELES — God moves in mysterious ways — particularly when it comes to Los Angeles real estate.

And few transactions have proved more mystifying of late than conflicting attempts
by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles and a group of nuns under its supervision
to sell an eight-acre hillside estate here.

The property might go to the pop singer Katy Perry.
Or it could fall to the restaurateur and developer Dana Hollister,
depending on whether the sacred matchup or a more profane alignment
of lawyers and would-be buyers prevails.<snip>

Some on both sides have been shocked by the highly public nature of the fight,
which has spilled into court and onto television screens.

It pits the local archbishop, José Gomez, against a pair of nuns,
Sister Rita Callanan, 77, and Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, 86
—both appeared on NBC’s “Today” show this week —
who are among five remaining members of a Los Angeles order,
the Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

“I would have thought everyone would sit down and it would be settled in five minutes,”
said J. Michael Hennigan, a lawyer for the archdiocese.

Instead, Mr. Hennigan and his various opponents are getting ready
for a hearing on July 30in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
Judge Robert O’Brien has been asked to issue an injunction blocking
the nuns’ proposed sale of the villa, where their motherhouse and novitiate
had been based since 1970, to Ms. Hollister, which would clear the way for a sale, instead, to Ms. Perry.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #4116
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Okay, really whoring it up here...
But if anyone is already a member of Trip Advisor, could you give me some positive feedback? Sundaegirl72

It doesn't get me money, it won't change my reviews (feel free to read them, they're almost certainly the same as I've written on here) and won't really do me any good.
But they've introduced some kind of points system. Presumably to counter bad publicity about pretend reviewers by encouraging real people.
So what I'm suggesting goes against the letter of the law, but not the aim.

Y'all know me. I've been to every place I've reviewed.
And I've left the most honest review I can.
I may have skipped a few places out because a bad review lingers like a bad smell and it's not fair if somewhere was just having an off-day. If I make a complaint it will always be at the time, not from behind a keyboard.

Oh actually, that's a lie.
I complain here, or to my Mum. But I don't sound off on a website for rating places.
Phew, pulled myself back from the brink!

I also try to follow Infinite Monkey's rule of making an effort to thank staff personally.
Please and thank you are ingrained here, to taxi drivers, bar staff, people in pet shops etc. But time is what I have to give, so I do try to emulate her and go out of my way to find Teh Management and tell them how impressed I am. And yes, I'm one of the sad sacks who fills out the feedback questionnaires printed on till receipts. Because I remember when that was important to me.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #4117
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Now comes a California law suit involving 2 nuns, an archbishop, a pop-singer, and a land-developer ...
which it will be decided by a judge whose last name is O’Brien.
Very simple, who legally owns the property? They are the only one who can sell it.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #4118
glatt

Often, Google maps doesn't work fast enough or is too complicated to use while driving, but on the way home from NEPA yesterday, it worked BEAUTIFULLY.

Route 81 is under construction in the vicinity of Pine Grove and Ravine. It's closed in one direction and traffic shares one side of the highway (a single lane in each direction for about 25 miles or so.) On the way up on Friday, there was an accident along this stretch and we got stuck at a standstill between jersey barriers for about 45 minutes while the wreck was cleared.

So we already knew traffic was heavy and this was a bottle neck on the way back home. As we approached 209 from the north, traffic slowed down to a crawl. I pulled up Google maps and saw traffic was mostly black with bits of red here and there for about 20 miles on 81. We had a hundred yards or so until the exit onto 209. (I highlighted the section of 81 on the map below where there was traffic.)

I asked my wife to enter in our home address into Google, and let it direct us home. It told us to take that 209 exit and get onto 325 South.
Name:  detour.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  96.9 KB

Let me tell you. 325 south is absolutely spectacular. It is straight as an arrow and the road surface is smoother than 81 and there is zero traffic on it. For 25 miles I barely had to move the steering wheel at all. And I was going faster on 325 than I had been going on 81 before the traffic jam. It's a beautiful road. Goes right through state hunting land next to a reservoir. Scenic and fast and ZERO traffic. Yeah baby.

Name:  325.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  148.9 KB

Last edited by glatt; 07-06-2015 at 02:49 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #4119
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good find, probably built to sneak the mistresses of the Harrisburg politicians, or Fort Indiantown Gap Generals, in and out.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #4120
glatt

There was one spot where I saw two backpackers crossing the road way in front of me, and I slowed down enough to see the Appalachian trail sign as I zoomed past.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #4121
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On the Carlisle Pike/Capitol Beltway zig from 581 to 15, that was my area since age 16 and you missed Katkeeper's house by 500 feet.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 AM   #4122
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

A bit weirded out.

I was sort of friends with a kind-hearted, very decent man. He never made a move on me (which was good as it was never going to go in that direction) and offered to help me out in many ways. I turned almost all of them down, because despite bemoaning my isolation and loneliness, I have learned to be solitary.

Things were creeping up though. He was more tactile than I liked. Nothing rude, but I get a bit twitchy about physical contact I don't initiate. Ask Limes, Dani or Carruthers and they'll probably refute that - because I know them and like them. Mr Limey too - I'd never hold back from a hug with him. But this person would touch my shoulders, my leg, my hair (!) No.

Anyway, it's all a sad story because he has a very possessive daughter, only ten years younger than me. I have no issues with her - she lost her Mum (and this man lost his wife) to illness. But it meant she got quite stroppy about me "being in his life" in a way she didn't with his male friends.

I decided I couldn't deal with this. I had to sit him down and be open and honest and explain that while I was happy for us to bump into eachother, to have a laugh and a smile, I couldn't make plans to meet up, accept his offers of help, let him bring round food etc. I've accepted very little from him finanacially - as I say, the odd cup of tea, a takeaway (because he gets it free from where he works), an offer to go to the hospital with me - I refused - and he has a copy of my keys so I can't lock myself out any more.

But it seems I wasn't careful enough.
He cried.
He actually cried.
I felt like I was his wife telling him I'd shagged his best friend, and he was saying, "I don't care, I still love you anyway!" I had no idea it would be drama-central.
I got three calls, two text messages and three voicemail messages (which I have not listened to and won't). He wanted me to speak to his daughter to clear the air?! Errrrr, no.

Bloody hell.
People, emotions. I'ma gonna stick with my rats.
Sod this.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:22 PM   #4123
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Maybe ya could take the girls out and shake 'em at him a lil bit?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #4124
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry it went down like that Sundae.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #4125
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

You are not responsible for other people's emotions, Sundae. You did your best to let him down carefully and gently. Please try not to feel bad that he is upset. His emotions are his, you're not responsible for them.

Sent by thought transference

Tags
dum, oh the whorror