The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #31
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think it makes sense to leave these people in their original state. I mean, we want to leave unlogged forests and shit, right? Why not leave a culture that sprang from that hopefully virginal arboreta?

There's a theory that goes something along the lines of "How will we know how shit is supposed to work if we fuck with it before we've learned everything about it?" I think leaving these people relatively unsullied falls under that heading.

Besides, they've now got some bitchin' new tales to tell around the fire about how Og chased off the flying monster with his mighty bow and magickal incantations. I mean, its not like they've got scriptwriters standing by to go on strike like we do...
Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #32
tombstone
Disorderly Orderly

Point one: Seems to me all discussions about what is "best" for them are moot, if coming into contact with us is going to kill off 50% of them due to lack of immunity to our diseases.
Point two: Seems to me that showing their pictures and pinpointing their locations--"Here they are! Let them alone!"--is tantamount to screaming "Don't think of feathers!" Doomed, either way.
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #33
Imigo Jones
Tornado Ali

Location: Used to be woods in town on prairie; now Emerald City
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
The archers and the guy in the gorilla suit are trying to scare the chopper away from the tribe's big ball of aluminum foil.
Maybe the opposite, spudcon.
1. Tribespeople hear "giant silver wasp" approaching and spring into action according to time-proven plan.
2. Hot "savage chick" parades out into a clearing, attracting attention of chopper pilot.
3. Chick removes blouse and brassiere, drawing chopper in.
4. Archers pop out and bring chopper down.
5. Sheet metal and other chopper parts added to big ball.
Imigo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone View Post
snip~ Point two: Seems to me that showing their pictures and pinpointing their locations--"Here they are! Let them alone!"--is tantamount to screaming "Don't think of feathers!" Doomed, either way.
The pictures are necessary to prove to the government they are in fact there, so the government will make laws to protect their turf from loggers and farmers. Also, they are not revealing exactly where this tribe is.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #35
tombstone
Disorderly Orderly

I wish I could concur. Unfortunately, the Brazilian government took the pictures, and allowed as to how this tribe is on the boarder with Peru and threated with Peru's logging. I can't feel optimistic for them.
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #36
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Tombstone has a good point Bruce. Also, given that the governments of both countries have little to no control in the logging areas of the rainforest at present (hence the call for other countries to refuse the import of hardwoods) it seems likely the tribe will be assimilated into generator dependency within the next ten years. How else will they keep their Cocoa-Cola cold?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #37
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imigo Jones View Post
Maybe the opposite, spudcon.
1. Tribespeople hear "giant silver wasp" approaching and spring into action according to time-proven plan.
2. Hot "savage chick" parades out into a clearing, attracting attention of chopper pilot.
3. Chick removes blouse and brassiere, drawing chopper in.
4. Archers pop out and bring chopper down.
5. Sheet metal and other chopper parts added to big ball.
I think you may have stumbled onto the truth, Imigo. Meanwhile, the rest of the civilized world is protecting them, when it's the poachers and land grabbers who need protection!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #38
Easy
Rapscallion

Clearly the best course of action is to make them into a reality TV show.

Drop a Coke bottle containing a camera into their village and see if they go all "Gods must be crazy".
Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Tombstone has a good point Bruce. Also, given that the governments of both countries have little to no control in the logging areas of the rainforest at present (hence the call for other countries to refuse the import of hardwoods) it seems likely the tribe will be assimilated into generator dependency within the next ten years. How else will they keep their Cocoa-Cola cold?
It's their only chance. If the governments of Peru and Brazil do nothing, these people are definitely fucked, in the next ten years. The only way they might do something, is making the governments, and the World, aware of these tribes.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #40
Oafed
So many stupid people... So few comets

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The only way they might do something, is making the governments, and the World, aware of these tribes.
Hence the need to get some rangers or seals to go hide a bunch of cameras and turn them into a international reality show!
Oafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #41
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

What's their infant mortality rate? How many of them die of starvation when local food is scarce and traded food is unavailable? How many die of diseases long since cured by modern medicine?

Every one of those deaths are people sacrificed to the idea of cultural purity. What's the preventable death count that we're willing to force on them by refusing contact?

These people aren't a science experiment in post-colonialism white European guilt. The are people, and have a right to shared benefits of human advancement.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #42
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
What's their infant mortality rate? How many of them die of starvation when local food is scarce and traded food is unavailable? How many die of diseases long since cured by modern medicine?

Every one of those deaths are people sacrificed to the idea of cultural purity. What's the preventable death count that we're willing to force on them by refusing contact?

These people aren't a science experiment in post-colonialism white European guilt. The are people, and have a right to shared benefits of human advancement.
If you go in there, you'll probably be their food.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #43
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Why should we be obligated to contact them? It's their turn to call.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #44
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon
If you go in there, you'll probably be their food.
Wait, I thought we were avoiding them for their own good. Now you tell me it's actually for our own good?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #45
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I say leave them the hell alone. We don't know shit about what's "best" for them. So many people on here sound like we'd be doing them a big damn favor by bestowing ourselves on them.