The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #61
Madman
has left the building.

Wife and I rented Inglorious Basterds with Brad Pitt. Hilarious film. I especially liked the scene where they're at the theatre posing as an Italian film crew. Each is introduced to this German Gestapo guy and Brad Pitts character (who has a thick hillbilly drawl) states his fake Italian name with the same thick hillbilly drawl. It was great.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #62
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Wife and I rented Inglorious Basterds with Brad Pitt. Hilarious film. I especially liked the scene where they're at the theatre posing as an Italian film crew. Each is introduced to this German Gestapo guy and Brad Pitts character (who has a thick hillbilly drawl) states his fake Italian name with the same thick hillbilly drawl. It was great.
Cool, so what was it like hanging with Brad Pitt? Was he a regular guy or all stuck up? I'm surprised he wanted to watch it again after having starred in it and all. Did he try to put the moves on Mrs. Madman? I heard he can be like that.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #63
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
You didn't figure that out while you were watching Reservoir Dogs? Like in the first 15 minutes?
I know. What does it say about me that I liked pulp fiction?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #64
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I watched Let the Right One In over Christmas. I can't find that I've posted a review, so excuse me if I have. I'm going to say the same thing anyway I expect!

I saw very few films in 2009, so it doesn't seem much to make it my Film of the Year. But it is probably the best film I've seen in the last five years at least.

It's a Swedish film and it's set in the winter - the cold and the heavy snow add another dimension to the story, making everything isolated and yet more intense. It's nominally a horror film - certainly a vampire film, and there is blood - but more a story of the ties between people.

It's a wonderful take on the over-filmed genre and a great antidote to the teen-aimed handsome vampires which are being touted around at present. I know it was originally a book, and I have to try to get hold of it - I'm sure it goes into the back stories in more depth and would be a cracking read.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #65
Juniper
I know, right?

I watched "Outsourced" Sun. night on Netflix. Kind of a cute story about a guy who has to travel to India to train his successor as call-center manager. Worth streaming online, when you can't sleep, I guess.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #66
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Sundae: you seen Hamlet yet?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #67
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

Capnhowdy and I watched Paranormal Activity last night and honestly I have seen better evidence of the paranormal in the drain of my bathtub!!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #68
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

This movie has been compared a lot to Blair Witch. I guess that makes sense as Blair Witch just wasn't that scary.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #69
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I hated Blair Witch Project.
I couldn't hear what they were saying, I couldn't see what they were seeing.
The characters were whiny and irritating.
Walking out of the cinema, I heard at least three different interpretations about what was in the handkerchief for example. That's not scary, that's, "What IS it? What IS it?" Breaks the suspension of disbelief.

I was able to believe in PA. It was well lit, I could hear everything. And of course it was set in one of the scariest places in the world (to me) - someone's home. Home is where you should feel safest. Home is where you run to and lock the doors and the vampires can't come in and if you've got good enough security neither can the zombies or werewolves or bailiffs.

I am so used to horror films that make me jump. That's fun. But for a slow building atmosphere of unease and tension, I'd go with PA every time.

I'm not trying to change the mind of those who didn't enjoy it - I know perfectly well that you either like something or you don't. But to those who haven't yet given it a try, do. Just approach it as a film that many people have been spooked by. And don't expect Freddy Kreuger to be jumping out from the cupboard at any point.

Dana - no I haven't yet. Was intending to get round to it though. I'm pretty sure we Sky-plused it.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #70
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I saw The Reckoning last night. We rented it from Blockbuster (yes, we still do that) on a whim. She thought it looked good but as I am cynical, I doubted it. Now I liked it enough to look for it to add to my collection. Kind of like a medieval CSI. Worth a look, if you see it on a shelf.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #71
Qice
A b**** of the highest caliber

rented "Nine" with the qicelets last night... what a waste of an evening. bleh
Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #72
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I saw Daybreakers. I loved the premise, and the movie was OK, but nothing special. Sometimes cliches are alright (they're cliche for a reason), but this had a few too many action movie cliches for me.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #73
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I saw Daybreakers. I loved the premise, and the movie was OK, but nothing special. Sometimes cliches are alright (they're cliche for a reason), but this had a few too many action movie cliches for me.
I agree, except I thought it was worse than OK.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #74
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I saw "Up in the Air" today. Good movie.

But before it was a preview for "Death at a Funeral". Starring Chris Rock.

What the? Remaking a three year old film? With Peter Dinklage repeating his role? Weird.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #75
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Cool, so what was it like hanging with Brad Pitt? Was he a regular guy or all stuck up? I'm surprised he wanted to watch it again after having starred in it and all. Did he try to put the moves on Mrs. Madman? I heard he can be like that.
I asked him if Angelina will ever do a nude scene or pose for Hustler. All he could say was "yes, yes, yes, yes, yes."

I think he was still in character... damn actors.

I had a hell of a time keeping my wife off him. Women...
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote