The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 06-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #331
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

That place, that lake, looks so peaceful...I just want to go there and relax for like a thousand days.

Sheesh I need a vacation.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #332
chrisinhouston
Professor

Well this is a combination of a few days of work in my garage workshop. I had this older style Ryobi plunge router that I seldom use because I have a nice new Hitachi model and I also had an old metal framed table sitting around so I decided to make a router table that could come in handy should I ever get around to redoing my kitchen and making my own cabinets and doors.

Image 1. The table which I had to cut down in size since it was bigger than the 24 x 32 inch top. I also added some supports for some shelves which will help firm it up.

Image 2. The table with shelves and top in trial positions. I then took it outside and painted it with fresh black spray paint. The top will be 1 sheet of 3/4" birch plywood laminated to 1 3/4" sheet of laminate covered particle board. The laminate makes it easy to slide the stock across it.

Image 3. The insert which is 3/8 aluminum plate and is about 9 x 11 inches. I traced it to a scrap of birch ply and cut that out and then sanded it until the insert plate slid in smoothly. This is my pattern for routing the laminate top.

Image 4. I used construction adhesive spread with a notched trowel and then used just about every clamp in my shop to squeeze them together and left overnight.
Attached Images

Last edited by chrisinhouston; 07-18-2012 at 01:39 PM.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #333
chrisinhouston
Professor

Ok so the next morning I removed all of the clamps. The insert plate came with some pre-drilled holes for non plunge type routers like Porter Cable which are more common but like I said, I had this nice one not being used and it is a more powerful one then my Hitachi. I removed the small cover plate from the bottom of my router and discovered I had room to drill out the holes and tap new ones to allow for a bigger machine screw. I then matched the adapted router base up with the insert plate and drilled holes on my drill press. I went with a nice countersunk machine bold that is tightened with a allen wrench.

1. and 2. Attaching the router base to the insert
3. I added a locking nut so the machine screw can't accidentally vibrate loose.
4. Here is a closeup of the pattern cutting bit on my Hitachi router. I used my sabre saw to cut the area that would not be needed and would leave a lip to be cut with a rabbet. I then clamped my plywood pattern and used the pattern bit to cut the rabbet. The ball bearing above the cutting tips runs along the pattern. It took 2 passes to get the correct depth.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #334
chrisinhouston
Professor

I purposefully left the lower piece of plywood on the table top slightly larger, about 1/8" and used a longer pattern bit to trim it to get a perfectly smooth edge. Then I attached some 1/2 pine to give a nice solid edge and hide the ugly view of the particle board and plywood. I used glue and my brad nailer to attach it and then used a small rounding bit on my trim router to round off the edge and the corners.

1. Edges attached and smoothed out.
2. Insert plate installed with router attached and bit just protruding.
3. View from underneath showing the router hanging upside down.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #335
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
The IT tech in me said: "Why on earth would someone need to build a whole table for one router?"

Then I saw the last photo and, after 10 seconds on Google, said: "Oh."

Nice handiwork.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #336
glatt

look very solid. That will be handy. Now for the fence!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #337
chrisinhouston
Professor

Thanks, and yes it does have specific use beyond what most hobbyists need such as making the cuts for cabinet doors to be assembled.

I still have to get it wired up with a central safety type switch, add some wheels and construct a fence and a slot for a miter gauge to move along. I'll also probably add some type of vacuum hookup since routers make a lot of fine saw dust.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #338
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Very nice work, Chris.

A friend sent me some drawings for one he built (about a year ago)
I am yet to build mine. Now seeing what you've done, I may incorporate some of what you've done into the plans.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #339
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nice, they are very handy.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #340
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

today i went and flew bobby's new plane. A Vans RV-6A. it's an experimental kit plane available that you put together (just over half) yourself then once completed it goes through the rigamaroo of getting certified by the FAA. it's an extensive process.

this plane was already built and bobby bought it off of a dude that didn't fly it very much. i believe it has under 800 total hours on it. it is a dream to fly and fairly easy. after watching him land a few times i took the last landing back at our new home airport north of houston, and aside from the final approach speed being just a little faster than i'm accustomed to, it was real easy to land.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #341
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #342
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

only one of the 3 vids i took of rolling the aircraft came out....here it is....

Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #343
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

and nice work Chris!! that will come in very handy indeed!!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #344
chrisinhouston
Professor

Well the router table is officially completed. I added a safety type power switch that can be turned off with my knee and the router is attached to an outlet that can also have the shop vac attached to so both are turned on and off simultaneously. I also added a wheel package so the table can be moved and the wheels retracted.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #345
chrisinhouston
Professor

I built a fairly heavy duty fence that clamps to the table and did not require slots that can fill up with debris. The front of the fence has a fixed upper section made of particle board coated with laminate and the lower section is adjustable and can be opened or closed around the router bit to control dust buildup and keep the fence from being damaged by the cutting edge of the bit. The fence also has a T-track for attaching a feather board to keep the stock in place. And I added a combination T-Track and miter slot. The miter gauge shown is off of my table saw. I may eventually build a coping sled which is a much more secure way to move some stock through the cutting bit. Also need to add a vacuum port behind the fence and under the table to collect dust. Maybe next week!
Attached Images