The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

FREE MUSIC

Quote:
For many years now, the Musicophilia blog has been a source of tightly themed mixes showcasing the best of various genres, most notably postpunk, that are mind-bogglingly awesome. The mix for which the proprietor, named Ian Manire, is best known is almost certainly his gargantuan tribute to 1981, in which the music of that year was eventually broken up into nine distinct sub-mixes, those being “Feet,” “Convertible,” “Brain,” “Heart,” “Cassette,” “Computer,” “Fire,” “Amplifier,” and “Ice.”

The ‘1981’ mixes started out as a physical object, “a 10-disc, 9-mix physical box set that I shipped to whoever wanted it (for the cost of shipping), put together and refined from 2004-2005 as a way of exploring a several-years-gestating obsession with post punk, which, it seemed to me, had reached its maximum depth, breadth and fecundity in the eponymous year.” Eager listeners also received an amazing addendum, a “massive spill-over mp3-CD” known simply as “Briefcase.” The original nine mixes featured 231 tracks and lasted 12 hours—“Briefcase” alone contained a whopping 251 tracks and 13 hours. That material has never been made available for download.
https://musicophilia.wordpress.com/

1981 post punk collection 9 main = 703MB zip file

1981 post punk briefcase = 856MB zip file

You can always trash what you don't like and make your own mix.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Geez, nobody ever asks me to resurrect MY 80s post punk mixtape project.

~ I have the cassettes - I still have all the fucking cassettes ~

and 1981 was an exciting year, but the best year for post punk is 1986. I believe I can prove that mathematically but I'd rather just post this.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Never hurts to have extra 25 hours of music, you know, incase your erection lasts more than four hours.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

http://voodoofunk.blogspot.com/
Quote:
From 2005 to 2008 I lived in Conakry, the capital city of Guinea, from where I extensively traveled all over the coastal region of West Africa, always on the lookout for records but collecting much more along the way.

Here, on the first page of this blog, I posted some of the more recent mixes but the meat and potatoes you will find in the archived list to the right which contains somewhere around 60 reports that I wrote during my 3 years in Africa. Except the first two posts which are about two visits to Ghana and Nigeria made while living in NYC. Anway, all the links ending with "-MP3-" will lead you to posts with streaming mp3 mixes which were all created with the records found on these travels and within just days or weeks of finding them. All posts are in reverse chronological order. If you want to start from the beginning, please begin at the bottom of the list with the story of Mr. Mafa and his record store.
You can get lost for hours, days, in these streaming mixes of ass-shaking, undiscovered African funk.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
You can get lost for hours, days, in these streaming mixes of ass-shaking, undiscovered African funk.
My lunchtime walk yesterday took me past the Ujamaa School in NW D.C.
Talk about ass-shaking funk. The doors and windows were all closed, but the drum sounds coming out of that place were wild. I really wondered what they were doing inside.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The story goes that Lux Interior of the Cramps was an inveterate maker of cassette mixes for his friends. (CD mixes, much less online playlists, were not a thing in Lux’s heyday.)
One of those tapes surfaced and a picture was posted. Someone else gathered the songs listed and you can download the whole thing free in two ZIP files.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Wait, it's almost like you've found something after punk but before grunge. I don't recall... to be fair, I was probably binge drinking at the time.

Time to get lost in the African funk.