Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #46
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
i was being ironic?
Soz, Jim.
The English race don't get irony. Apparently.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #47
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Dilly dang ding dong, they doesn't?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #48
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It is illegal for a Member of the Houses of Parliament to refer to another Member as a Daffydowndilly.

Tis true, gadzooks.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #49
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Given that Jewish religion passes down a family line, I think it's not unreasonable to class Jews as a race.

Could be wrong there and won't argue if someone contradicts me factually.
That would suggest that race can be defined by social tradition and opted out of. If a family has been Baptist or Buddhist or atheist since before records were kept, it doesn't make them a race. And people can't opt out of what their ancestors gave them... change/hide/alter, yes, but it'll show up in their kids.

I'd be more accepting of Jews as their own race if the argument was based in how the followers of Judaism bred, for lack of a better term. For a very long time, Jews primarily married and bore children with other Jews, excluding people of other physiological types, and they were all concentrated in a relatively small area. They didn't really migrate much of anywhere unless they were exiled from somewhere and then they kept to each other, rather than mix too much with the locals of wherever they ended up. Lots of years of combining the same lines will concentrate features and create a look that 'breeds true', like in show animals. Given that, I can see how the Jewish 'race' can be considered a true race. In their case, it wouldn't be because they're from a certain place, it'd be because they excluded outside influence in their lines.

The biggest exceptions of those would be the those of the sects that gave rise to Christianity and then ultimately set out to make everyone else Christians too. That freed them from taking only Jewish spouses. They could go up to anyone, convince/make them convert if they weren't Christian already and they'd be in a bona fide Christian union, if necessary.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #50
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Irony does not explain Muslims. Betting on a Muslim to show is clearly risky. Since Muslim women only show their nose. Betting on one to show only by a nose was never a good bet.

A better race card probably selects a race with a bigger nose. What race has bigger noses? Stereotyping is important.

Last edited by tw; 05-10-2012 at 12:30 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #51
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Maybe Lateen-nose?