The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastortoy View Post
Is anyone buying for tomorrow's drawing?
I'm in. Single quick-pick.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Sundae has it.

You shouldn't buy lotto tickets thinking it's a good investment. As Wolf points out, it isn't.

You can reasonably buy lotto tickets because they give you the right to have nice and ever-so-slightly plausible daydreams about becoming suddenly rich and all the things you could then do.

Like hitting the tip mug so hard it shatters.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
pastortoy
---

In Chicago, Peter Muiznieks bought a ticket at a liquor store. He knows his chance of winning is a long shot, and that the money the country is spending on tickets could go elsewhere. He still couldn't help himself, and laughed as the apparent contradiction of his opinion and his actions.

"Lottery and games of chance are a stupidity tax and the more we all buy into this, the less rational we are as a society," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/americans-bet-...203515291.html

Tonight's jackpot is estimated at $640 million (annuity) or $462 million (lump sum).
pastortoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
pastortoy
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
are there any patterns with the lottery numbers for other states?
I've never seen any patterns that I can pick up on.

I like to choose my own numbers, though. I don't trust the easy picks ("lucky dips"/"quick-picks") from the machine.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Played $10 - 10 games - 60 numbers. got 4 numbers, total, 2 in one game, no megaball. That wins me $0.00. Oh well.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
Griff
still says videotape

When I lived in a very poor upstate NY town, I got my gas at a Red Apple convenience store and I'd invariable get caught in a line of lottery tickets and cigarettes folks... it was depressing to watch.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I'm in. Single quick-pick.
Dammit.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
pastortoy
---

Willie Richards, who works for the U.S. Marshals Service at a federal courthouse in Atlanta, figured if there ever was a time to confront astronomical odds, it was when $640 million was at stake. He bought five tickets.

"When it gets as big as it is now, you'd be nuts not to play," he said. "You have to take a chance on Lady Luck."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kan-il...120924228.html

All lottery jackpot amounts have life changing impacts. Why do so many throw in on super jackpots only and not bother otherwise?

Last edited by pastortoy; 03-31-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
pastortoy
---

Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Played $10 - 10 games - 60 numbers. got 4 numbers, total, 2 in one game, no megaball. That wins me $0.00. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Dammit.
The office pool won a few minor prizes that will likely get reinvested in a future drawing.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Play for next week. No one else will be.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
pastortoy
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I play the Euromillions Lottery on the closest draw after payday. Sometimes twice a month, depending on finaces. Never more.

I always play "lucky dip" (numbers randomly selected).
I don't expect I'll ever win, but £2-4 a month buys a lot of dreams. And it's cheaper and healthier than a pint of beer.
Wow, they give playing advice on the Euromillions site.

http://www.euro-millions.com/informa...mbers-2295.asp

I also see they do not tax the winnings. I wish they did that in the US.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

You are all aware of the gambler's fallacies, right?

I'm surprised the mathemagicians didn't jump all over this thread. The lottery is, indeed, a fun dream. And people do win. I saw old bar patrons win the mega mill a few years ago. One of the city departments. An office pool.

But no instance of a number being drawn has any effect on any other number being drawn, except it lowers the pool of numbers. There are no 'patterns.' It's just pure dumb luck (for lack of a better word.)

I buy a few, here and there. And I dream about that log home. But I don't think there's a system to random number drawing games. Because there isn't.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

aka what Zen said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
You are all aware of the gambler's fallacies, right?

I'm surprised the mathemagicians didn't jump all over this thread. The lottery is, indeed, a fun dream. And people do win. I saw old bar patrons win the mega mill a few years ago. One of the city departments. An office pool.

But no instance of a number being drawn has any effect on any other number being drawn, except it lowers the pool of numbers. There are no 'patterns.' It's just pure dumb luck (for lack of a better word.)

I buy a few, here and there. And I dream about that log home. But I don't think there's a system to random number drawing games. Because there isn't.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #29
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

I got some numbers randomly selected by the "lucky dip" and now I just use those. I only ever buy a ticket when there's a super huge jackpot.
I have played the main lottery three times in my life and the Euromillions twice. Never won anything.
It's random chance, don't delude yourselves, people.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Uh-ohhhh, trouble brewin.

Quote:
FIFTEEN Maryland McDonald's employees remain in financial limbo today as a co-worker who claimed to hold a $105 million Mega Millions lottery ticket stays in hiding amid suspicions she is either being greedy or perpetrating a cruel hoax.

Three winning tickets were bought for Friday's record-breaking $656 million Mega Millions drawing.

While no one has come forward to claim the prize, Mirlande Wilson's boast to a newspaper that she selected the ticket has caused ill-will at a McDonald's where she works.

Ms Wilson bought tickets for a pool of co-workers, but told the New York Post that the winning ticket she claimed to have purchased was bought separately.

Lottery officials in Maryland, however, downplayed Ms Wilson's claim to the golden ticket without proof.