The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Your politics is your psychology

People's politics are totally informed from their psychology.

I know mine was. As an only child without a father, and with a kinda hippie mom -- I wound up fiercely independent, a contrarian, hating the authority of my parent, and demanding to forge my own road in every way possible.

This is a libertarian. But what if dad had survived his lung cancer and mom had popped out a baby sister? My psychology would be much different. Maybe I'd be more nurturing. Or maybe my sibling would be much younger, and I would wind up partly raising her, and thus wind up more authoritarian. This would probably make my politics different.

But how I personally wound up, does not necessarily make for the right formula for an entire nation. Actually, it seems unfair that my fucked-up childhood makes me want other people to be governed differently.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, my politics is determined by what I know to be objectively true.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

This is most disconcerting, I mean finding out like this that some of the posters in the Politics thread were probably abused as children. UT has robbed me of my bliss.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well, I'm going to say that my politics is at least partly ruled by my wallet.

As an example, Dazza is in what's considered to be a high income group, but he's the only income earner in our house, so he taxed to the shithouse, and we get no benefits, and even the extra things like private health rebates and baby bonuses barely apply to us, even though our income as a family is less than a family with two average incomes and who receive a lot more benefits.

I'm becoming very unhappy with our labour government at the moment. They keep making these sneaky changes and they're not even making the papers, let alone other news media.

For example, the lease on our vehicle, should we choose to renew it in a couple more years, will go up by over 50% which makes it barely worth having.

When you talk about wealth redistribution, you probably need to have a look at Australia for a great example of it.

So yeah, anyway, I wont be voting my usual way next time I get a chance to use my voice.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
People's politics are totally informed from their psychology.
damn right it is: tedtalk: the real difference between liberals and conservatives.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The childhood sets the stage, but I think the life experience effect is ongoing. My politics changed considerably after I came into contact with groups of people I never expected to be a part of.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

That was great, Trac, thanks.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post
Excellent presentation.

I figure my libertarianism is partly push back against the church I grew up in, but I'm interested in others' ideas and attempt to adjust my thinking when good arguments are made. At my core, I'm really afraid of group psychology. People in groups scare the hell out of me because I fear they are signing their moral decision making over to others.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
My politics changed considerably after I came into contact with groups of people I never expected to be a part of.
long white gowns and pointy hoods? got to me too.
word of advice: don't tell them if your jewish.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post
long white gowns and pointy hoods? got to me too.
word of advice: don't tell them if your jewish.
YOU'RE

or a (grammar) nazi
Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

trace, we have other threads on Haidt here and here, and I forgot about them but they are interesting to go back to. I guess they make this thread a little redundant!

Clod, do you feel, as I do, that having changed politics makes you a little more humble about politics? Sometimes when I see people banging on, insisting they're right and that it's urgent, I feel like Yoda: "So certain are you..."
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
But how I personally wound up, does not necessarily make for the right formula for an entire nation. Actually, it seems unfair that my fucked-up childhood makes me want other people to be governed differently.
Based on the above, it seems to me that the logical extension is that every other person (including yourself) is no more qualified to dictate how others should be governed. A fair solution to mitigate the effects of this would be to have less government intervention--of any kind--in peoples' lives. By this method, your potentially wrong ideas are not imposed upon others, and their potentially wrong ideas are not imposed upon you. This is the basis of what people mean when you hear them say "small government." Also known as "liberty."
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

So certain are you.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Clod, do you feel, as I do, that having changed politics makes you a little more humble about politics? Sometimes when I see people banging on, insisting they're right and that it's urgent, I feel like Yoda: "So certain are you..."
Yeah, although more the "urgent" part than the "right" part. People who stubbornly but quietly believe they're right don't make me raise one eyebrow nearly as much as people who are like, "OMG society is falling apart because of X!!" I'm not sure if I'm really humble about it though, I just don't have the energy to listen to people ranting.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Some politically active people are motivated by an issue that does really affect them.

Some, by the need for some kind of mission or crusade to give their life meaning and purpose.

Others, by desire for power and egotrips.

The first might (but might not) have a good case, but the latter two may well choose any cause regardless of its merit. We are well advised to be distrustful of all of them, but we can't afford to ignore them all.