The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-01-2017, 06:06 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 1st, 2017: Enfarinats Festival

Quote:
Residents of the Spanish town of Ibi staged a mock military coup on Monday 28 December, pelting each other with flour and eggs, and letting off firecrackers and fire extinguishers. The battle was part of a festival held every year as part of celebrations of the Day of the Innocents in the village in the Valencia region.

Quote:
In the 200-year old tradition, a group of married men called ‘Els Enfarinats’ (the Floured Ones) stage a revolution against the authorities, taking control of the village for the day, pronouncing a host of ridiculous laws and fining citizens who infringe them. Another group called ‘La Oposicio’ (the Opposition) tries to restore order. Any money raised through fines is donated to charitable causes. More than 1,500 eggs and hundreds of kilograms of flour are thrown in the annual battle.
link
Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

My immediate thought is what unnecessary cruelty must be inflicted on all the chickens needed to lay all those eggs. I doubt they are all cage-free, free range etc etc etc... For the love of FSM, can someone please invent cheap fake cruelty-free vegan eggs that can be used for entertainment purposes?
Old 01-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Snakeadelic
Banned

Old, entrenched cultural customs are hard to change. This is the same country (though I'm not sure if it's the same part of the country) that riles up animal activists with a festival during which horses are ridden through bonfires. "O noes, da poor terrified ponies!" the activists go off every year...without checking the photos! The horses go through the fire in a single stride, not long enough for manes, tails, or clothing to catch fire. And in 90% of the pics I've ever seen by just googling "horse ridden through fire" or something similar, the horses' ears are up, not pinned back, and they don't have fear-sweat flying off or wicked nasty bridles or anything like that. It is truly sad to know in our hearts that they probably have battery farming for eggs just like we do, but in a world rife with the endangerment and extinction of "more charismatic" animals, this might be a tough one to get people going on.

Personally I am NOT a fan of any festival in any country including my own that deliberately wastes food in massive amounts when we as a world are running out of clean water and arable land! That one in India where they throw colored powder all over the place for a day, now that looks like fun to me.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
Snakeadelic
Banned

Also, I do kinda wonder how many of these dudes come down with food poisoning...eggs can spoil just so, so fast!
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
... For the love of FSM, can someone please invent cheap fake cruelty-free vegan eggs that can be used for entertainment purposes?
Rubber chickens and paint ball eggs.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote