The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #2266
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Cool, I'll check out options! I have a bit of personal time I need to use, so I could probably snake an hour and a half lunch. We can tawk!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #2267
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Loius L'Amour's "The Warrior's Path"

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #2268
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Hey Grav. I got a bunch of my old Louis L'Amour books out of my parents basement over Christmas.
They've been down there for years. I'm gonna start rereading some.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #2269
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Dana, I've put Jeff Noon's Vurt onto my TBR pile, I'll let you know what I think.

I'm continuing to read Doctor Who novelizations, have made it up to Pertwee, just finished Cave of Monsterswhich was based on the first Silurians episode, now reading Ambassadors of Death.

I borrowed Kathryn Stockett's The Help from crazynurse's daughter, liked it more than I expected to, but I still wasn't entirely pleased with it. It is charming and poignant, without being overtly sappy, and really focuses on the strengths and foibles of the women, both black and white, involved. The white women tended to be two dimensional caricatures, all hair styles and silver patterns, but I guess less of their story was being told.

I'm currently reading Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum - Mark Stevens.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #2270
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #2271
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Just finished The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. A really interesting take on a futuristic war, with a focus on how near-light speed travel screws up the soldiers' subjective timelines, so they go fight on the front for a couple of years but the laws of relativity mean they return to Earth 50--or 500--years in the future, depending on how much accelerating and decelerating they did. I highly recommend it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #2272
glatt

Yeah. That's a good one.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #2273
wolf
lobber of scimitars

1-1-12 meant that I can get another lending library book amazon, so I'm on to the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy, Catching Fire

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #2274
TonyE
Simulated Simulacrum

Dunkirk by Sean Longden. The true story of the 41,000 British soldiers who were left behind after the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940.
TonyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #2275
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Yeah. That's a good one.
ditto
Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #2276
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Dana, I've put Jeff Noon's Vurt onto my TBR pile, I'll let you know what I think.

I'm continuing to read Doctor Who novelizations, have made it up to Pertwee, just finished Cave of Monsterswhich was based on the first Silurians episode, now reading Ambassadors of Death.

I borrowed Kathryn Stockett's The Help from crazynurse's daughter, liked it more than I expected to, but I still wasn't entirely pleased with it. It is charming and poignant, without being overtly sappy, and really focuses on the strengths and foibles of the women, both black and white, involved. The white women tended to be two dimensional caricatures, all hair styles and silver patterns, but I guess less of their story was being told.

I'm currently reading Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum - Mark Stevens.

Oh, yes, let me know what you think of Noon.

Broadmoor Revealed is an excellent book. Really well-written. I have a side interest in criminality and social resistance in the 18th and 19th centuries.

At the moment I am still working my way through some Pratchett audios. Basically, I started out with the intention of just listening to those stories with Sam Vimes as the central character. Then I decided I'd also include any of the stories that have Vimes or the Ankh Morpork City Watch in them at all.

Started out with Men at Arms, as I'd not so long since listened to the radioplays of the first Vimes book (Guards, Guards). Then changed my mind, went back and listened to Guards Guards after all :p

Am now just approaching the end of The Truth , which is a brilliant look at the growth/role of the press. Great characters, excellent story, and just enough of a Vimes appearance to make me happy I particularly like the central character in this story: William deWorde.

Next up: Nightwatch. Probably my favourite of the Vimes stories. This one has Vimes as its central character and plays with time travel (under the watchful gaze of some temporal monks).
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #2277
infinite monkey

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson. They hadn't even put it on the new arrivals shelf yet but it showed available on the computer.

The librarian said they had just catalogued it and got it from the back for me.

Brianna, is there a real life Jackson? Because he is so...just so.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #2278
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson. They hadn't even put it on the new arrivals shelf yet but it showed available on the computer.

The librarian said they had just catalogued it and got it from the back for me.

Brianna, is there a real life Jackson? Because he is so...just so.
YAY! I'm so glad you got it and hope you love it - but read all her others - they are just wonderful.

I don't know about a real-life Jackson but isn't he just so?!

Fell in love with Kate and Jackson at the same time.

I read BLAME by Michelle Huneven which was stunning and "Let's Take the Long Way Home" by Gail Caldwell - a memoir about her friendship with columnist Caroline Knapp who died in 2002 at age 42 of lung cancer. it's a book that I can only describe as clear light and breathtaking views.

get both. You'll love them.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #2279
infinite monkey

Thanks for the suggestions. They will go on my list.

I did read the first three jackson books. Her writing always pulls me right in.

I just read Maine by J Courtney Sullivan. I really liked it.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #2280
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I just googled Maine and it looks like my kind of read.

I'll try at the library tomorrow.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books