The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's true. Even the Boston bark is a hearty big-dog BOOF.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Now I feel it would be callous and unfeeling of me to make my pun on grisly and gristly and suggesting longer, moist cooking.

Bostons are my favorite dog, who can't smile when a Boston is around?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Attached Images

Old 03-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #19
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Pure curiousity because here in the UK responsible owners don't let their dogs out into the street (as opposed to a garden or yard I mean).
Mmm...depends where y'go SG. I used to live near an estate in Salford that had packs of dogs roaming around. People just let their dog out in the morning and then it'd come back when it got hungry.

Even now, if I go around the ward I represent, there are often dogs just roaming about. Also, not everyone has a yard/garden, sometimes even a responsible owner will let their dog out for a whizz and just stand in the doorway watching him. Another factor to consider is the houdini dog *smiles*. I have a neighbour whose dog is incredibly good at escaping. She's put barricades up, she's tied him with string to the washing line....he just seems to have a magical ability to get free.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I don't doubt there are people that let their dogs roam the streets, but I wouldn't class it as responsible... I doubt any of the Salford inhabitants considered their dogs to be their only true friend either.

I've known some Houdini dogs of course Far more Houdini rabbits and two Houdini tortoises.....

I have no issue with people without gardens/ yards who keep an eye on their dogs. I wasn't trying to criticise the girl, it was just that something really didn't add up for me. On the one hand the dog is the most precious thing in her life, on the other hand it is left in a situation where it can just wander off.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
Pie
Gone and done

We always let our dog wander around in our fenced-in back yard while we were at school, if the weather was good. If some malefactor wanted to dog-nap her, it was always a possibility. Doesn't strike me as irresponsible on the part of the pet owner.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #22
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
We always let our dog wander around in our fenced-in back yard while we were at school, if the weather was good. If some malefactor wanted to dog-nap her, it was always a possibility. Doesn't strike me as irresponsible on the part of the pet owner.
Fenced in gardens & yards - I'm all for it. Our dog was often left out in the summer with the shed open for water, shade/ shelter.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #23
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You post the article but don't say anything about it.

So how does this story fit in with your idea that prosecuting hate crimes is bad? Where's the actual crime here, besides a couple petty crimes like littering and disposing of a dog's body improperly?
How would you show that this is a hate crime? "He hated dogs... the disabled?".
Lot of crimes here, including grandma' letting the dog out off leash.
I'll stop posting whole articles, some forums prefer it.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 03-20-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #24
glatt

You posted the article for a reason, right? You apparently think the guy who did this was depraved in some way. Right? (I do too.)

But the seriousness of his actions are all in his intent. The intent was to fuck with the victim's mind. To scare her. All we know for sure is that he disposed of a dog improperly. And yet I think he is worse than a litter bug. I think he's almost on the level of Jeffrey Dahlmer. And it all lies in his intent. In his motives. Not in his actions.

Do you disagree?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #25
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Maybe the dog attacked someone and this is just getting back?
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #26
rkzenrage

Man accused of beheading dog made video
http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1075213.html
Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #27
glatt

So from the article, "Gomez, 24, was charged in Ramsey County District Court with one count of killing a companion animal and one count of animal cruelty done to threaten or terrorize another person."

He's being charged with intent to terrorize. Isn't that charge similar to your beef with hate crimes? Do you think he committed a crime against a human here, or just against a dog?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #28
rkzenrage

Nope, I have no problem with laws against terrorizing, stalking or harming individuals.
I do not agree with laws that show preferential treatment for groups of people.
The two concepts have nothing to do with each other.
He committed several crimes against both.
Grandma' let the dog out off-leash which lead to this, she too is culpable.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #29
robsterman1
A worldly dude

Crimes against animals is just as bad as crimes against humans. That dog was like a rock for that young woman...and killing that dog was like hurting that lonely young lady. Definitely a depraved act.