The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

October 8, 2008: Big Bang

No, not the original Big Bang, this one was in Appomattox County, Virginia, last month.
Buster sent me these pictures of the devastation, from a natural gas pipeline exploding early Sunday morning... 5 people were hurt, but thankfully no one died.

There are three parallel lines, the A line built in 1949, the B line in 1955, and the C line in the early 1960s, running from the Gulf of Mexico to New York. The three lines carry 1.6 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day, at 800 psi. By comparison, the gas lines that distribute natural gas in the city, I believe operate at about 3 psi.

The pipeline owner, Williams, says the A line was inspected for problems in 2000. The C line was inspected early this year and repaired. The B line, the one that failed, had just been inspected, but Williams’ officials had not been able to analyze the results when the blast happened.

Has anyone seen Jumpin' Jack Flash in Virginia?

Link
Link
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Holy. Crow. Impressive, what happens when one of those high-pressure lines blows. SO glad no one was killed; wonder what happened with B line that caused it to fail, if it had just been repaired?
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It has just been inspected, not repaired.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
janet
Lead Subordinate

At least that pit it left would be great for BBQing whatever animal whose pic gets posted Friday.

After 3 explosions in the Northwest a few years ago, Williams pipeline here was cut back to a few PSI on an older line. That motivated them to rebuild it.

Two lines run right through our development, about 500 feet from my house. But it'll never happen to me, right? Right?
janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

what could possiblie go wrong?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
SPUCK
Professor

I leetle corrosion.. Add some dirt settling. Get a crack. Bingo! Crispy critters.

The favorite is sod rippers on big Cats. Kills'em everytime.

Pretty amazing when a D9 is thrown 100ft and lands upside down.

One took off in the Midwest a few years back. The ground was so hot they had to wait days to prevent their truck tires from melting.

Oh and xoxoxoBruce; Distribution in towns is about 90psi. Once thru your house regulator it is used in your house at less than a psi.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

We have uncounted miles of pipe going in the ground around here. Sooner or later...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

All those big pipes down there creep me out. What if I make too much noise and they come and attack and then... no wait, that was Tremors.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

OK, let's be honest here. Who lit a fart near the pipeline?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I like Sheldon.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I like Sheldon.
Me too!

Sheldon: You have about as much chance of going out with Penny as the Hubble Telescope has of finding that at the center of each black hole there's a little man with a flashlight trying to find the circuit breaker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sheldon: Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leonard: I just know that moving all day can be stressful and I just thought that good neighbors and some Indian food might be just what you need... plus, curry is a natural laxative and I don't need to tell you that a clean colon is one less thing to worry about.

Sheldon: Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence.

Leonard: [discussing Sheldon's work] At least I didn't have to invent 26 dimensions to get the math to work.
Sheldon: I didn't invent them. They're there.
Leonard: Yeah? In what universe?
Sheldon: In all of them, that's the point!

Leonard: Why did you just flash freeze a banana?
Leslie: I'm having it with my cereal and I couldn't find a knife.

Howard Wolowitz: [interpreting Raj's whisper] Oh, Raj was just comparing Sheldon to a hygiene product used by women who are not feeling fresh on a summer's eve.
Penny: And the bag it came in.

Leonard: [after getting kissed by Penny in his Hobbit costume] Yeah, you saw that. That's how we roll in the shire!
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Heehee, I'm a sitcom ho anyway, but there are some hilarious lines in that show, and some good ensemble acting. I think the girl who plays Penny is perfect!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
badcat
Non-Newbie Sort

The Williams pipeline company blew up my neighborhood in 1986*. Interesting to see that their business hasn't changed much at all (thankfully no one got killed this time!).

I've heard of assholes with gas being a fire hazard, but this is a little ridiculous...

*Seriously: Mounds View pipeline explosion
badcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Welcome, badcat. Were there any repercussions (I assume there were plenty of concussions) from the explosions - did the company make promises or ?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
badcat
Non-Newbie Sort

Details are a little hazy (I was 11 at the time), but I was able to find more info once I discovered the internet...

At about 3am, some Williams pipeline techs notice a significant pressure drop in one of their lines. They say something brilliant, along the lines of "Huh, that's weird. We'll check into it after a coffee break" and do [i]nothing.[i]
A woman delivering papers ignites the fire after driving over the gas spill with a dragging muffler.
Big giant explosion, lots of people wake up to see a huge fireball, and after crapping their pajamas, run out their doors to run away. The Spano family's house was next to the flames - the dad took the oldest daughter out the back door, but the mom panicked and took the youngest daughter out the front door, directly into the flames. They died a few days later.
The city of Mounds View tried to take Williams to court, saying they couldn't turn the gas lines back on until they were inspected and proven to be safe. Williams Pipeline gathers lawyers and sues the city of Mounds View to turn the lines back on without inspection or addressing safety concerns.

For some reason, I tend to be a bit pessimistic about Williams Pipeline company and their ability to run their business without blowing up on a regular basis.
badcat is offline   Reply With Quote