The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #6241
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I see what you're saying, but all she wants is a copy of one article, which should be easier than access to the library.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #6242
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The article, if it exists, is on a very specific topic with extremely searchable terms. Wouldn't take any digging to find it. I admit I was hoping for a "you look it up and email the digital version to me, I send you piles of cookies in the mail" kind of arrangement. I am looking into my public library, but we have had trouble in the past because we live in this weird unincorporated section of town that doesn't pay the right taxes for library use.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #6243
monster
I hear them call the tide

I'll ask the Jeebster and beyond
Old 11-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #6244
monster
I hear them call the tide

She says no, sorry :/ will keep asking around. is it a nutritional article?
I know the chief nutrition person at the U of M childrens hospital
Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #6245
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Nah, it was a current events thing about a legal battle between Germany and an American company. I've exhausted American sources, and German references are hard to find because they're all in German and pre-internet to boot. But I have it on relatively good authority that it made the front page of the Independent, sometime during the case.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #6246
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Since I was a kid, I have struggled with feelings of being "left out" and "forgotten about." I put these in quotes, because, to be honest, I'm not sure how much of it is rooted in reality. It certainly happened as a kid, but as an adult, it's hard for me to judge how much it happens. I suspect that, because it happened as a kid, I'm hyper-sensitive to it now...so any appearance of it happening unnerves me. I attempt to be subtle in how I address it as well...though sometimes, I'm as subtle as a bull in a china shop.

I dunno...I tend to "feel" things far more than many people. The littlest things (both happy and sad) tend to bring heightened responses to me upon recollection.

I just took a Myers-Briggs test...I've heard they're considered garbage now, but I don't care. I tend to be INFP or INFJ. Today's result: on the borderline of all 4 fields...fucking kidding me?!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #6247
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Driving home this morning from the weekly grocery shop, I could see blue flashing lights on a vehicle about a quarter of a mile behind me and travelling in the same direction.
I was approaching a roundabout and worked out that the best place to move over would be the other side of the roundabout and before two lanes merged into one.
The plan worked well and several vehicles behind and one in front did likewise.
The emergency vehicle came into sight and had a clear path until... UNTIL...an Audi pulled out from the line behind me straight into the path of what turned out to be an ambulance first response car!
The Audi driver floored it and shot off down the road at about 60mph in a 30 limit.
Two possibilities occur to me. Was he so unobservant that he was completely unaware of the blue lights so just pulled out when he saw the opportunity to get past the slowing vehicles in front, or did he deliberately take advantage of the situation on a sod everybody else basis?
In rather blunt terms was he stupid or just a complete arse?

It didn't end there. A couple of minutes later, approaching another roundabout, a full size ambulance (flashing blues), travelling in the same direction as the first vehicle, came into view and everyone moved into the left lane to let it past.
Guess what happened next? Exactly. Another vehicle moved out of the slowing line of traffic to position itself for a right turn and obstructed the ambulance!
Eventually light dawned and the errant driver pulled over.

I'm fortunate in not having to drive much these days, which is just as well as it means I don't encounter the stupid and/or aggressive too often.
I do not profess to Papal infallibility, I'm only human and I make mistakes as well but some of the things you see on the road are enough to make your hair curl.

Rant mode disengaged.

Last edited by Carruthers; 12-07-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Missing comma.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #6248
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume brainfarts.

"Oooh, look everyone's moved over just for meee. That's nice, innit?"

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #6249
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Well, give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume brainfarts.

"Oooh, look everyone's moved over just for meee. That's nice, innit?"

Very charitable, sir!
Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #6250
glatt

Most people are not deliberately malicious. At least not most of the time. It's more like lack of thinking.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #6251
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Not to mention a lack of attention to what's going on all around. Like, you know, what's in your rear view mirror.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #6252
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Which is why it's a fucking miracle more people don't die in fiery auto crashes every day.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:35 AM   #6253
Pi
desperate finder

Already on monday:
Since I changed jobs in June to look after wife and kid, I also went to get some sports classes : yoga and indoor spinning
I started in September, and with a 1h-jogging session every 1-2 weeks I dropped 3kg and feel much better.
Yoga is great, 1,5h on Monday evening. Lots of stretching, dynamic exercices and just a little bit meditation and not too much of esoterics. The Yogi was a end 50'ish man, rather strict (a little bit like a good instructor from the army). This went well until monday.
I got a flyer at the reception telling me that the yogi was not coming anymore and that there would be a replacement. Decision coming from the management. The receptionist couldn't tell more. This is quite upsetting as none of the regulars have been asked if we were satisfied or not.
The replacement was kind of ok, but too much talking and music and chanting (which I will not certainly not do)... I wouldn't say that yoga is just a form of gymnastics for me but I'm more into the effort for body and mind than the spiritual thing.
The replacement told us that she had been asked on Friday to take over the classes, so i'm "mildly" irritated that the management was not able to inform us earlier than monday evening about their decision.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:06 AM   #6254
Pi
desperate finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Already on monday:
Since I changed jobs in June to look after wife and kid, I also went to get some sports classes : yoga and indoor spinning
I started in September, and with a 1h-jogging session every 1-2 weeks I dropped 3kg and feel much better.
Yoga is great, 1,5h on Monday evening. Lots of stretching, dynamic exercices and just a little bit meditation and not too much of esoterics. The Yogi was a end 50'ish man, rather strict (a little bit like a good instructor from the army). This went well until monday.
I got a flyer at the reception telling me that the yogi was not coming anymore and that there would be a replacement. Decision coming from the management. The receptionist couldn't tell more. This is quite upsetting as none of the regulars have been asked if we were satisfied or not.
The replacement was kind of ok, but too much talking and music and chanting (which I will not certainly not do)... I wouldn't say that yoga is just a form of gymnastics for me but I'm more into the effort for body and mind than the spiritual thing.
The replacement told us that she had been asked on Friday to take over the classes, so i'm "mildly" irritated that the management was not able to inform us earlier than monday evening about their decision.
Didn't get better yesterday. Now I know about the full moon and the impact on my stomach and we chanted (well they did) for peace and love...
I guess I have to find something else to do on Monday evenings
Old 12-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #6255
Griff
still says videotape

disappoint.

Tags
mild cheddar