The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-02-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
Cam
dripping with ignorance

New Linux User

I installed Linux on my maching this weekend. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for a long time windows user.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:34 AM   #2
dave

Ja. Install Windows over Linux. It's not worth it.

Second option - buy a Macintosh and love Mac OS X.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:44 PM   #3
juju
no one of consequence

Don't listen to him, Cam. He's <b>insane</b>!

Back away slowly from the insane man... there now, careful, or before you know it he'll turn you into one of those scary mac users!

Well, anyway, what do you use your computer for?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:08 PM   #4
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I use my computer for pretty general stuff. A little gaming, word processing, mp3's and once in a while a dvd or two. I kept XP on my computer, just partitioned my hard drive so I still can do anything I want that windows supports. Mainly just installed Linux to play with.

I also discovered that my sound card isn't supported by Linux. And can't figure out how to configure my printer. Hopefully I can get the printer thing figured out by tomorrow. Then agian I have two tests tomorrow so I'll be studying all night.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:16 PM   #5
juju
no one of consequence

You should pick up a cheap soundcard that <i>is</i> supported by linux. I bet you could get one for like $10-15.

I don't do much word processing, but I hear that Abiword, Kword, and OpenOffice are all good. I use Abiword, 'cause it's fast, it reads Word documents, and it's good enough for me. for mp3's, I use xmms. I've never had a DVD-ROM, so I don't know how to set that up. linuxvideo.org looks like it's the place to go for that, but it appears to be down right now. Looking through the DVD-Howto, it looks kinda complicated for a newbie.

Gaming is obviously much better on Windows. I have a home LAN myself, and I use my Linux machine to play against my wife on her Windows 2000 machine. We usually play Quake 3, BZFlag, or Armagetron. Of course, if you're adventerous you might could get any number of Windows games working through wine or winex.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 09:37 AM   #6
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I actually have decided to hunt down a decent sound card. Now my next challenge is getting my printer working through linux. If anyone has any good hard to find sites that might help me out I'd appreciate your input.
I was hoping to do this tonight, but my roommate just upgraded his computer and is having some terrible graphic slowdown. Hopefully I can figure it out tonight and still have time to figure out my printer.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:04 AM   #7
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:24 PM   #8
Torrere
a real smartass

WOW perth! I've been looking for that comic ever since it was described in Neal Stephenson's In the Beginningwas the Command Line .

Myself, I have both win2k and Linux on this machine, but I fear reaching into Linux without the availability of all the IRC groups that I can pester for questions. My PCI win/lin modem worked under the 2.2 kernel, but infuriatingly refuses to work under 2.4. Argh.

Software-wise, I doubt it'd be hard to switch, since most if not all of what I use on my computer is either multiplatform (Mozilla, AbiWord), has a Linux equivalent (gimp, xmms) or provenly WINE-able.

Oh, and good luck, Cam.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:53 PM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

uh... that wasnt me. blowmees to blame.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 10:01 AM   #10
Torrere
a real smartass

*me scratches his head.

right.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 02:56 PM   #11
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
*me scratches his head.

right.
Whose head?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 02:55 AM   #12
kezdeth
Colorado Linux Geek

Exclamation Printing.

Did you ever figure that out? Or do you still need help? I have used Linux for over three years, and have had to solve many issues with printers, soundcards, etc. Let me know if you need help at all!
Old 10-31-2002, 02:46 PM   #13
Cam
dripping with ignorance

So I got rid of Linux this last weekend, I decided I didn't have enough time to play with it during the school year, and my computer had been running a little sluggishly, so I repartitioned my hard drive and reinstalled windows. Hopefully over christmas or this summer I'll buy a second hard drive and run Linux off of that.