The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 06-04-2003, 06:57 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Get Your Hot Drinks Here

Looks like we need a place to discuss our hot drinks. Most of us start the day with a hot cup of something and some end the day the same way. What are we drinking coffees teas mates?

I'm still drinking yerba mate each morning. It has the advange of being a mild stimulant without caffeine which I am apparently hyper-sensitive to.

At the moment, my favored teas are from Jacksons of Piccadilly, although I avoid the peculiar madness of putting dairy products in perfectly good tea.

So what are we drinking?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:12 AM   #2
dave

Water, Gatorade, Fresca. All cold.

Something is wrong with me.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I'm a green tea with honey kid myself.

Although lately, I've been adding in a cup of Good Earth blend tea to get a bit of caffeine.

Dags

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:57 AM   #4
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

I'm not much of a hot beverage drinker, either. I drink water on my work mornings, and milk on the days that I'm off (for no reason other thn convenience).

Beer or water usually goes with dinner. Neither of them are close to room temperature.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Coffee for me.

All hours of the day (and night).

I don't usually have the shaky/anxious/awake problem with caffiene, but this HAS happened.

I tried being a coffee snob for a little while (only ever having coffee made from freshly ground beans and ice cold filtered water) but I've gotten over that, mainly through laziness, and will just damn drink anything I can get my hands on.

I occasionally will go for the speciality flavored coffees ... swiss chocolate, chocolate raspberry, cinnamon, snickerdoodle, creme brulee (i tend to like either chocolate flavor or spicy flavor specialty brews), with an occasional foray into things like butter rum (what I would love to find again are the packets of booze-flavored coffees I got for yule several years ago ... Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort flavors.

When I'm feeling especially decadent a packet of instant cocoa mix goes into the cup before the coffee.

I own a cappucino maker and have actually used it
More than once.

We used to have one at work, but it appears to have gotten lost in the remodelling. I'll have to ask the boss what happened to it. Cold rainy nights (like we're having now) are perfect for cappucino.

A friend from Ecuador told me how they make coffee. It's actually pretty good, and the only legal use of instant coffee in my life. They heat milk and add cocoa and instant coffee to it.)

I do sometimes drink tea, but it's too much of a hassle at work (where I can finish a pot through an 8 hour shift). Favorite tea is Jasmine, with Stash Chai Spice (kind of like Indian Masala Tea) second runner up. Fruity teas make up the rest of the tea-box in the kitchen.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 02:04 PM   #6
Odd_Bloke
Resident Denizen

Tea in the morning and evening (who cares about the brand, milk and 1 1/2 sugars) and milk the rest of the time. I get through about 3-4 pints of the stuff everyday, winter or summer.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

This Northerner's Top 5:
1. Coffee, dark, daily
2. Hot chocolate- made with milk, but the watery ice rink version has its nostagic charm, in season
3. Warmed cognac, after really cold, or even cool summer nights on the north shore of Superior. So fine.
4 Spicey chai, semi weekly, semi seasonal treat
5. Non caffine sleepy tea, to raise late night core temperature.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:04 PM   #8
Joth
Jotter of Notes

Always tea, since I hate coffee.
I don't drink it that often though, cos I usually can't be bothered to make it myself, so I just wait till someone else offers
Old 06-04-2003, 03:20 PM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

sitting at work, i look up at my shelf and see the following teas:

stash earl gray black tea
stash licorice spice (smells wonderful, and works wonders on a sore throat)
tazo zen green tea blend
tazo sweet cinnamon spice
stash fusion green/white tea blend (my favourite)
twinings jasmine green tea
stash chai green tea
stash moroccan mint green tea

i keep plenty of teas at work, mainly to prevent the temptation to drink coffee. for some reason, coffee makes me very sick to my stomach.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

I will share with the viewers of this thread that I have a beloved thermos collection. Ever since I heard Steve Martin sweetly sing"...I'm picking out a thermos for you, no ordinary thermos will do..." I specialize in early alluminum bodies, and vintage plaids.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 04:28 PM   #11
Odd_Bloke
Resident Denizen

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
i keep plenty of teas at work, mainly to prevent the temptation to drink coffee. for some reason, coffee makes me very sick to my stomach.
Me too, unfortunately. Not the best thing to have problems with for me, being an occasional insomniac (and being almost permanently fall-asleep-at-my-desk tired). Once drank 2 litres of the stuff in one morning. I was high all morning and then went to the loo for about 10 minutes.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #12
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I decaffeinated myself about 2 months ago--had to.

I generally don't drink anything hot in the morning anymore--lots of water. However, I do pick up the occasional decaf from Cosi or Starbucks. On weekends, we use either instant or Gevalia decaf.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 01:13 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
I will share with the viewers of this thread that I have a beloved thermos collection. Ever since I heard Steve Martin sweetly sing"...I'm picking out a thermos for you, no ordinary thermos will do..." I specialize in early alluminum bodies, and vintage plaids.
I have long been without a thermos, but have often wanted a decent one ... but most of the thermoses (thermii?) that I've found hold about 16 ounces max .... I need one of them badboys that will hold an entire pot of coffee. (I firmly believe that coffee should be sold by the keg.)

Travel mugs I've got plenty of, on the other hand ... not a collection, just a damn bunch. Every time you turn around, somebody's handing you a free travel mug. amazon.com, drug companies (I have numerous antidepressant and antipsychotic mugs in a variety of styles and colors), minimarts (many of which don't fit well in cupholders), conferences, etc. I even have a couple souvenier ones, from museums and stuff. I do like the steel ones, but you can't renuke you coffee in those, so I don't take them to work much.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 04:26 AM   #14
iDadalex
Aggregate Aggravator

I mainly just drink coffee at work since I work night shift it gives me a little kick.

Do like tea though, just dont drink the hot stuff as much as I would like though....maybe I should bring some tea to work for once.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:25 AM   #15
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I occasionally will go for the speciality flavored coffees ... swiss chocolate, chocolate raspberry, cinnamon, snickerdoodle, creme brulee (i tend to like either chocolate flavor or spicy flavor specialty brews), with an occasional foray into things like butter rum (what I would love to find again are the packets of booze-flavored coffees I got for yule several years ago ... Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort flavors.
Mmm..flavored coffee. Every so often, I'll treat myself to a chocolate or french vanilla cappuccino. Just the other day I tried a "double fudge" cappa from a coffeeshop that's about 10 minutes from the house (Syc, we have a date at the Cheesecake Cafe...*grins*). Not as good as Starbucks, but it was pretty good.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote