The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

This flag represents my heritage!

You can't stop me from flying my flag, it is my heritage! My great great great great great great great great grandfather (yes that's my 8X grandfather), Captain William Shaw fought at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 and was rewarded after the battle with forfeited lands in County Killkenny!

So from now on I am going to fly my flag!
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Here's mine:

Name:  flag.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  36.4 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

What are you going to do with your flag?!

NSFW - swear words.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

My flag:

Name:  flag.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  2.3 KB
Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 AM   #5
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Ok, Riff Raff.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
glatt

is that the Joe vs. the Volcano lightning bolt?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Nope, Crimson Ghost is on target. Riff Raff, Magenta, *and* Frank N. Furter are all from the planet Transsexual, in the distant galaxy of Transylvania. This is their flag, too.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:39 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
You can't stop me from flying my flag, it is my heritage! My great great great great great great great great grandfather (yes that's my 8X grandfather), Captain William Shaw fought at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 and was rewarded after the battle with forfeited lands in County Killkenny!

So from now on I am going to fly my flag!
Dutch, French, and English, fuck the Irish again.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

I'm not a big flag guy. Our tiny little ape brains are too easily turned off in the presence of powerful symbols.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:38 AM   #10
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I'm not a big flag guy. Our tiny little ape brains are too easily turned off in the presence of powerful symbols.
They have pills for that.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

The miracles of modern medicine.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #13
chrisinhouston
Professor

I saw this one this morning. Someone needs to just bring out a welding torch and cut down the pole.

When I moved to Georgia in 1967 I can remember that when they showed 16mm films in class (no videotape then) every movie from the Georgia dept of education started out with a band playing Dixie and the rebel flag waving in the wind. We also didn't get Memorial Day off from school but got Confederate Memorial Day. I graduated high school in 1974 and we had a bit over 700 kids in our class and only one was black. I never knew his name as he was just called Bosco.

I also remember when Martin Luther King was shot, I think I was in 7th grade. Governor Lestor Maddox didn't attend the funeral of Dr. King and we had a discussion about it in class. I remember one kid who still lived on a small farm not far from school saying "a white man don't go to a nigger's funeral."
Old 06-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #14
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

[true story, no shit, couldn't make this stuff up]

Name:  nous défions.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  14.7 KB

A flag of this design flew in front of my unit headquarters (HQ) right under the American flag for a short period of time. The best translation, interpretation really, I found online is:

Quote:
... As a French speaking Canadian I am able to ''translate'' the signification of ''nous defions''. This is hard to explain, but this is a mix of ''we dare", "we threaten", "we defy". This is not just daring, but also defy and challenging everything. "Nous defions" sounds like an arrogant challenge to everybody and everything. ...
The flag was flown by the Special Forces unit given the US counterterrorism mission in the late '70s until another organization dedicated to that purpose, Delta Force, could be formed up and become operational. The flag was being flown by a unit commanded by a Colonel. It drew the ire of the Commanding General (CG) of the 1st Special Operations Command which was the next higher HQ. The CG was hard pressed to tell his subordinate Commander to remove it on a whim. The priority on the Colonel's mission gave him considerable influence with the CG's superiors. Where there's a will; however, there's a way...

So the CG found an Army regulation that says subordinate units may not fly their flags higher than their next higher HQ's. The spirit of the regulation was intended to mean that subordinate units would not fly their flags on taller flagpoles than their next higher HQ as a matter of protocol. The CG used the letter of the regulation to force the Colonel to take down his flags including the American flag; because, the subordinate unit's HQ was uphill [on higher elevation terrain] than the CG's HQ. The difference in elevation was enough that the Colonel would have to had dug a ditch to fly his flags, which would be another violation of regulation.

After Delta Force became operational, the Special Forces counterterrorism element became the model for their Special Operations and Tactics (SOT) course [kinda like civilian SWAT] and the logo is still popular on patches and t-shirts. Hope you enjoyed the story. I was there to see it during the week or two that Nous Défions actually flew in garrison (in addition to the remote training site). Between the thread title and my turning 60 in a couple days, I was reminiscing. [/true story ...]
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
chrisinhouston
Professor

I have a friend who has a beach house down in Galveston and always hoists the nautical Delta flag when cocktail hour starts.

I am maneuvering with difficulty
Attached Images