The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #391
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

There's this *one* job I really, really want. I'm laboring over the letter of interest now (compulsory). Ironically, I'm kinda stuck on the bullet point about what a great communicator I am.

#richwithirony

I'm determined to get it completed before dinner... or before bedtime.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:45 PM   #392
monster
I hear them call the tide

sorry I'm probably too late, but...

1) never really, really want a job
2) (convert to industry speak) As a whateveryourjobtitlewas I was responsible for coordinating end-user needs and ground level software creation. I also blog my home improvement projects which have a following of (whatever cellar membership is)

...not necessarily intended to be a verbatim answer, but maybe a writer's block plunger?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 AM   #393
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Letter complete..

Will submit tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:36 AM   #394
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yo Bro, you got a job,
I want that fucker,
lets dance. Capisce?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:41 AM   #395
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yo Bro, you got a job,
I want that fucker,
lets dance. Capisce?
Exactly.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:10 AM   #396
Griff
still says videotape

Good work.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #397
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I have submitted my application after a couple minor edits to the required letter of interest and having Twil proofread it again. There were about twenty-five questions in the web-application, all completed. I wasn't able to answer all of them with the best answer--I don't have all the certifications they asked about. This is an area where I can improve, though I am certain I can do the work. Some people find the certification/diploma etc a placeholder for competence. Fair enough, if you're not competent, the work won't get done of course. But being certified isn't a doesn't get the work done either. aaaaanyway, I don't want to whine about the sour grapes.

This particular job is with the state and the application process is ... involved. Fortunately, the state has numerous openings and the bulk of the involved application process is (almost) automatically duplicated for the next job I apply for. Naturally, the job specific details change, and I'm answering *those* questions now.

This effect, the "mass production" of applications can be applied to some extent for all the job posting platforms. And compared to the early years of this decade, there are many more platforms. This has led to an unexpected side effect, a much larger administrative burden of keeping track of all the places I look for and apply for a job.

I have an actual list of internet sites for job leads, each one requires an account and tracking all those sets of credentials is non-trivial (well, it could be made trivial, email address + same password = bad idea). Again, not crying about how sour those grapes probably are... waaaaaahh.... Just noting that there's work to do to keep track of all this work and the pay is... deferred indefinitely.

Speaking of which, still no $$$ from my unemployment insurance claims. Apparently they're still being researched/investigated/lost behind that really heavy filing cabinet. This will transform from weird to inconvenient to hey we got a problem here to brother can you spare a dime. Right now, it's on the border between weird and inconvenient, but that slopes downhill... I don't want to have to recover any more altitude than I have to.

I am relieved to have completed that application. And my efforts and those of my collaborators have produced a cover letter that can be reused--will be reused. Anyhow, victory lap is over, time to submit another application. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #398
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Does your state have a null period for unemployment compensation? In some, you don't get compensated for the first couple weeks of unemployment. Some also withhold compensation for a period equivalent to the number of days of PTO/vacation pay that you received upon separation.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #399
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

quick update

I have had my UI claim approved. Been paid. Yes, there's a waiting week at the outset. I .... "did" my waiting week and then did it again when I restarted my claim, what a stupid option on the website. don't care at this point.

I've completed yet another week's worth of applications, it's ... it's tiring. Each posting seems to come with it's own site/login/application/webapp/requirements, not to mention their own questions. Some of which are required, some not. For the record, I have gone to High School. I did graduate. I don't know or care what my GPA was in high school. Thank goodness that particular one was not "required". And references. I had one app be considered incomplete and not submittable until at least two of my references answered the system-generated email to complete the questionnaire about me. That was stressful since I found the posting only five hours before the deadline. Yes, I did wake people up asking for them to RUN TO YOUR COMPUTER AND OPEN YOUR EMAIL AND CLICK ON THE LINK AND COMPLETE THE QUESTIONNAIRE. mighta burned a bridge there.....

And I have an interview scheduled for next week. The person who called me did schedule it and send me an email with the details and also included five more documents for me to complete by Monday and requested three references. I'll deal with that one in the morning.

My list of sites that I have login credentials for is growing, .... maybe twenty or so now. Some are direct hire specific, like one of the local school districts. Some are "just" job sites, like Monster.com or LinkedIn.com, mentioned elsewhere. I'm a fan, since they can help me for modest input on my part. And even better let me have the chance to submit an application with some saved credentials/materials. Unlike say, the local school district. They're really only going to have one job I want. No economies of scale for my form filling inputs.

and the lady who called me for an phone interview did follow up with me via email asking wtf, wanna try again. I replied within a couple hours yes, definitely, let's do it... .then MORE CRICKETS. I think maybe * I * am on her spam list. I can hear from her... she may not be getting my messages. Oh well.

Alrighty... good night, see you all tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #400
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

In person interview in one hour

Leaving now
Old 02-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #401
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 02-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #402
monster
I hear them call the tide

Hope it went well