The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Snot like this is all that gross.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
Cloud

poor men, afraid of a little menstrual blood. "only women bleed" - uh, or is that "breed"?

the cups are good for sleeping on heavy days. You have to change them in the shower or tub, though, otherwise, they are a mess.

And have you heard of the sponges? there are special menstrual sponges, which you then wash and reuse. Save the planet against the evils of wastepaper and chlorine. All that.

http://www.gladrags.com/c-21-sea-sponge-tampons.aspx

oh, and for the record? SO GLAD THAT'S ALL OVER FOR ME! yay menopausal-hood!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Like the saying goes, "Never trust anything that bleeds for 7 days and lives!"

Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'd rather not die from toxic shock syndrome, thanks velly much: the reason so many things were taken off market.

Sorry, I'm a woman, but all that crap is just GROSS. Yeah it's a fact of life, that doesn't mean I need to swim around in it.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You can take birth control pills without a break and stop having periods entirely. I think there are a few options along that line nowadays.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
monster
I hear them call the tide

sure, let's completely fuck with the hormones and risk blood clots and cancer and all.....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #22
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Sorry, I'm a woman
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #23
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
sure, let's completely fuck with the hormones and risk blood clots and cancer and all.....
As far as I understand, its no riskier taking the pills without a period than it is with. In fact, my last gyno did that. I'm on seasonale, so only 4 periods a year, and they're short/light at that. If you get an IUD like Mirena, it can also stop your periods altogether. Are you against all birth control methods that use a type of hormone, or just when used to stop periods? There is no increase in risk to take a continuous pill vs a standard pill. There are benefits too of taking the pill. Although your risk cervical cancer increases, taking the pill reduces the risk of cancers of the ovary and uterus. Also decreases the risk of developing RA, as my sister found out after the fact, and developing fibroid muscle tumors, which was the cause of my mom's hysterectomy.There are decades of studies on these types of methods, and there is no evidence that shows that monthly bleeding is necessary.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #24
monster
I hear them call the tide

Yes, I'm not a big fan of mucking with hormones at all. I was mostly being facetious, though. You could also fix monthly periods with a hysterectomy. Doesn't mean you should. It's part of nature, leave it alone unless it makes your life unliveable, in which case do what you need, but please, for the love of fsm, don't share it with me

---

I think men should be able to go into a store and buy tampons with out feeling stupid. I do not believe anyone should discuss the ins and outs of anyone's menstruation at the dinner table. It's great that we no longer make women ring bells and yell "unclean", but I'm happy for the acceptability of the issue not to go too far in the other direction.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #25
glatt

Everyone poops, but if you talk about it at our dinner table, we make you take you plate into the kitchen and eat in there. So far it's only happened to my son, but I think it's a good rule.

I've bought tampons for my wife when picking up other things at the store and she needed them. Didn't feel dumb about it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #26
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's not like anyone's thinking 'oh my why does that man need tampons?' most think 'what a cool husband/boyfriend.'

Men are liberated too.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
You can take birth control pills without a break and stop having periods entirely. I think there are a few options along that line nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
My cow orker got off the pill immediately after the stroke diagnosis.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #28
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty
If you get an IUD like Mirena, it can also stop your periods altogether.
Yeah, Mirena stopped my periods... but only after I bled for the first 6 weeks straight.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #29
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm on Implanon and haven't had a period for six years. Lovely.
All medical people I have spoken to say it's actually good for my body not to create and destroy the lining of my womb needlessly every month.

Have a hysterectomy?
Erm, no thanks.
I've known enough of women who have (none as elective surgery).
Three months off work it a lot more unpleasant than 10 minutes every three years to have a small incision in my arm and a new implant added. It doesn't even require a Doctor, simply a trained Nurse.

I'll take my chances on long term effects in the way I do by being overweight. It's a gamble, but an informed one.

Products I never knew existed? Until recently, edible glue and edible marker pens. Now I use them every week.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #30
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I was thinking...wtf? Edible marker pens? Who wants to eat marker pens? Then I reconsidered and realised: kiddywinks.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote