The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Finished my Lostathon!

Well - I watched all six seasons, including the epilogue, all the mobisodes and a fair few deleted scenes - across the last month, or thereabouts.*

People warned me. They said, don't do it, Dani. Don't put yourself through it - you'll hate yourself for it.

My brother was particularly scathing. He was one of the people who was really into it and then grew to hate it, though he stuck it out til the end.

But - I really liked it. I am a little bereft that the Lost adventure is over. I liked the ending - I thought it was beautiful.

* and a myriad of fan vids, cast interviews, podcasts, etc.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
We've been waiting for you, Jack.
My one sentence series summary:

I'm dead, you're dead, we're all dead here.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:44 AM   #3
DanaC

They weren't dead on the island though.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Everybody was dead the entire time. They all died in the plane crash.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
DanaC

No they didn't.

Everything we saw happen on the island, across the 30 years covered, and in the flash forwards was real in the story and happened. The plane crashed, they survived - some of them got away from the island and later came back - The only part that didn't happen was the flash sideways - that was the afterlife / purgatory whatever you want to call it.

As each character died (from Boon dying in season 1, to Jack dying in the closing moments) they went to that shared reality regardless of how much time had passed between each of them dying - Hurley is there at the end with them all for example - but we never saw him die, because he was the one left in charge of the Island with Ben - the epilogue makes clear that they both continued on for years after the others had died.

This isn't just my interpretation by the way - this was also the response of the writers to people who say the ending showed they'd all died in the crash - they hadn't. That's not what the ending was.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-04-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
DanaC

So, I just finished my rewatch with Mum. She'd only watched the first two episodes when it originally aired.

She was reluctant at first - but I knew if I could get her to watch the first episode it would grab her attention this time around :p Yup. She was mental oriental for Lost. She'd come round four or five evenings a week for a Lostathon - we'd watch two or three (or four) episodes back to back - and even then she'd be like 'what time is it - is it too late to watch another?'

We just watched the finale tonight (with the lead in one hour special that reminds the audience of all the threads and has the cast and creators reflecting on the journey). She loved it - cried buckets - left slightly shell shocked and said the ending was 'perfect'.

I also really enjoyed the rewatch. Going back to the start and seeing it again. knowing where it was going, you spot all sorts of stuff. I was worried that maybe it would fall on a second viewing (finale especially) - but if anything it made me like it more.

An epic story, with timeless themes and a very human centre. From a structural point of view it was one of the most engaging narrative arcs I've ever seen. It was intelligent and literate and assumed its audience was prepared to make the leap. They took such creative risks and pushed the boundaries of what could be done on tv (not every risk paid off, but they'd built in enough flexibility for the show to respond organically and quickly tie things back to where they should be - and the big risks pretty much all paid off) the show deserves a place in the pantheon of TV greats.

Last edited by DanaC; 07-13-2015 at 07:48 PM.