The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Buddug

To the darling slaves of psycho-babble .

Hello

I have decided to write a general message , as many of my answers dovetail into this one .

It would be unreasonable of me to expect you to read everything written by Shakespeare . It is totally reasonable of me to ask you to read Don Quijote de La Mancha however ( 1605 for the first part , 1615 for the second part ). The English translation is easily available , and for the true ignoramii , do not forget that the author is Cervantes . This book will help you to explore the idea of madness and sanity . There is no better book on the subject . And you are not told what to think . You are free to think .

Read great literature instead of immersing yourself in the self-indulgent psycho-babble peddled by quacks .

And never forget that there will never be any answers , ever .
Old 07-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Thankfully, Don Quixote uses punctuation properly (in both languages.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Buddug, are you some sort of preacher from the Church of Holier Than Thou Intellectualism or something?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Buddug

No . Just someone who wants our common humanity to belong to people and literature , and not to soulless jargon .
Old 07-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A troll by any name would stink as foul;
In this case clear he doth protest too much.

10 years ago we invented the limerick flame. Now it's -- the Iambic Pentameter Flame! Witness its horrible penetrating burn:

His mother's bed is open to the lot,
and to the lot her parts most wretched lie,
the sight of which would leave them gasping puke
but ne'er-the-less the parts in which they'd try
to poke their horrid manroots deep inside.

And nine months hence the boy would poke his head
from deep within those very parts himself;
and past the puke his shoulder doth appear
its filth already calling out its name.
"Buddug", it whimpered; thus it shall be known.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddug
No . Just someone who wants our common humanity to belong to people and literature , and not to soulless jargon .
Judgemental much, are we?

I assume you've a list of soulful jargon handy? Or will you just be posting hoity toity titles which your notion of Illumination decrees are requisite for the unwashed masses?

By the way...who you callin' people, there, bud?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Troll, idiot, whatever. Just stop putting a space before your periods, please.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
rkzenrage

What is wrong with reading Shakespeare... I have read it all, performed a great deal of it. Most of it is very shitty relationship advice.
FYI.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Elspode

Oh, come on...what about Romeo and Juliet? That wasn't so...oh, wait a minute.

Okay, Lady MacBeth. She was good egg. Oh, no...wait a sec.

I think Will might have been a bit of bipolar case.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
Buddug

Sorry about this digression , but LabRat told me to stop leaving a 'space before my periods'. I thought it was some sort of misogynistic remark to do with menstruation , but I think he is talking about what I call full stops .

Never thought about that before . Curious . It must be because I learnt to write before learning how to use a keyboard . When you write , you leave a little gap between the last letter of the sentence and the full stop . Well , that is how I was taught .

Without a space , it seems too breathy and close , rather like an American talking to you . Americans always talk too close to their interlocutor . They invade your space . I know that they do not mean to be rude and invasive , it is just their way .

Please go back to the discussion , and thank you LabRat for the orthographic epiphany
Old 07-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Elspode

Were you paying attention, Buddug, you'd know that LabRat is a female. That's okay, the educated aren't required to be observant.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
Buddug

Sincere apologies to LabRat , and thank you for pointing her sex out to me , Elspode .
Old 07-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
Ibby
erika

ifwealltypedlikewewroteallmypostswouldlookkindalikethis,causeiwritereallysloppilyandwithoutspacesorcapitalization,forthemostpart.grammar hasrulesandeverythingevenifyoudontalwayswriteexactlyaccordingtothoserules.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 AM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The word is psychobabble. You should see a doctor about having your hypen removed.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #15
AlternateGray
red-shirt guy

Buddig, I think what you mean is that there are no answers, except those that you provide for us.

Ah, look, a haughty european expert on the many ways that I, as an American, am fucked up. My personal space is roughly six feet, and you're a freakin' cliche.

There is no better book on the subject of madness and sanity? Are you insane? If I ever went to see a psychiatrist for anti-social/anger issues (which I don't have), and he told me that a fictional (I don't give a rat's ass how many metaphors are in it, it's fiction) book written in the 1600's was his sole teacher and reference, I'm afraid I'd have to beat him with it just for wasting my time.

Works of art are not meant to be understood or appreciated by all, regardless of intellect or status. I completely fail to understand how your enjoyment and knowledge of a particular piece of art makes anyone else, who doesn't appreciate it (and therefore can't be bothered to remember a name that is essentially meaningless to them), a "true" ignoramus. Rather, it makes me again question the validity of your implied claim of superiority.

If you're attempting to spread some culture, great; but turn off the personality, it's detracting from your efforts, and distracting at best.

Last edited by AlternateGray; 07-11-2006 at 09:14 AM.
AlternateGray is offline   Reply With Quote