The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #2641
BardoXV
B.O.F.

Right now I'm reading "Buddhism: it's essence and development" by Edward Conze.

Before that I read "The Tibetan book of the Dead" by W. Y. Evans-Wentz.

Both were and are slow reads, as I read a few pages when I go to bed. When I can no longer focus on the page, I put it down and go to sleep.
BardoXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #2642
glatt

I do that with car repair manuals. That shit puts you right to sleep.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #2643
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I sometimes used AM talk radio. I'd find a program discussing a topic I could not have cared less about, and listen to it just loud enough to hear, but, not catch every word.

It worked.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #2644
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Just finished listening to "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime." The voiceacting was very good; he got the main character's cadence just right.

I found it especially amusing that while the book is generally highly-acclaimed, there is a solid core of 1-star reviews on Amazon, and the majority of those run along the lines of, "I have autism myself and this character is not exactly like me therefore it is false and the author is a fraud." Which is, of course, to be expected.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 AM   #2645
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Going through a Bernard Cornwell phase for a bit -- enough to note the Sharpe novels hew to a pattern. Like how poor Richard gets ever so many opportunities to be a lover; at least once per book, regardless of anything. If only he had the money, he might have been a gigolo -- Sgt Harper's assessment of him notwithstanding.

Don't seem to remember the TV series being quite so stuffed with stray petticoats. Though in that era, women did seem to be ninety percent linen -- and pin-curls.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #2646
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I'm listening to the audiobook of The Passage by Justin Cronin. What a wonderful book! And beautifully read too.

I'm so pleased to be into something again. Had a spell of not being able to get into anything. tried a dozen books on kindle and several on audio that just didn't click with me. Probably because I'd previously had a run of superb books that spoiled me for a while. Y'know when a book or a series gets right under your skin and you just want that same hit, but nothing quite compares?
Tree jumpers!

Last edited by lumberjim; 04-22-2014 at 06:57 PM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #2647
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Don't seem to remember the TV series being quite so stuffed with stray petticoats. Though in that era, women did seem to be ninety percent linen -- and pin-curls.
Perhaps not quantity, but quality. Elizabeth Hurley shows up without the linen.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #2648
busterb
NSABFD

Just read The Deepest Secret by Carla Buckley Started Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottoline.
Both are about a hit and run. WTF! does someone pitch an idea out to all writers, then they all jump on it?? But but they'er all new york times best sellers. Right?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #2649
monster
I hear them call the tide

slumming it with takedown twenty by janet Evanovich. Old, Done, Series way way way past it's prime, may serve to help me get to sleep every night for the rest of the year at this boring rate!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #2650
busterb
NSABFD

Lisa Scottoline. I owe you an apology. Got better later sorry.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #2651
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Drlackofaffect lent me Knight by Gene Wolfe. I've never read anything by him, but he hangs words together in some really awesome ways.

Quote:
She laughed, and the wind and the sea were in it; she was the spray, and the waves that broke outside her cave. When I talked to her, I was talking to them.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:50 AM   #2652
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A Dirty Job is brilliant. Any book that hangs together the words "Artificial boob spooge" is worth a look, or in my case, a listen.There is something terribly, terribly wrong with Christopher Moore. And I am good with that.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #2653
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The Rule of Nobody by Philip K. Howard.

A story about the paralyzing effects of overly detailed laws and regulations. He makes a case for governing by principle, and not by rules. He suggests that individual human judgement, even by government officials is better than mindless compliance with inflexible rules.

I like it so far.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #2654
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Hobbit, again.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #2655
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Drlackofaffect lent me Knight by Gene Wolfe. I've never read anything by him, but he hangs words together in some really awesome ways.
Remember the section of Reader's Digest called 'Torwards More Picturesque Speech' (or something like that)? I've often thought of starting a thread in the same vein.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books