The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #2851
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I don't know if news and research are the same in that regard, though. I think the creative mind understands that "news" is temporary--sure, X is President today and law Y was enacted today, but those may change with another election cycle so who really cares, in the end--and it is the ability to see everything as temporary that allows them to envision things that have never been envisioned before.

An instinct for researching, on the other hand, I think is more like a side effect of already not being off-the-charts creative. You could maybe train your brain to be a little more creative by forcing it to come up with every step of the fort-building on its own, but I don't think research could kill a prodigally creative mind the way news exposure can. I think news takes up brain cells in an ultimately meaningless cycle, while research is at least still focused on the original goal.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #2852
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
If I make a fort in the backyard, it will meet fairly normal construction standards. And be boring and uncreative.
Knowing what little I know about the Glattmeister, I have serious doubts as to the "boring and uncreative" part.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #2853
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Runaway pony caught after walking into Cheshire Police station

Surprisingly they didn't Taser it.

I do like a happy ending.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #2854
glatt

The cheaper the engagement ring, the more successful the marriage.

Oh, and the average wedding today costs $30k. For one day.

People are nuts.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #2855
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ha! My engagement ring was a family hand-me-down heirloom, so it was free, but I feel like maybe there's someone out there who got paid to wear their ring, like some kind of marketing gimmick, so their marriage is probably still winning.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #2856
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
That is nucking futs.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #2857
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
The cheaper the engagement ring, the more successful the marriage.

People are nuts.
I guess if I had set the limit at $500 I might still be happily married. What are $900 1995 dollars worth today?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #2858
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

so, about $1500 today.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #2859
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That's a handy site.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #2860
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio woman was hospitalized in critical condition after she was burned while performing a fire-breathing act at a Halloween-themed running event. ...

... Scanner traffic indicated she was burned on her face, neck and top half of her body and transported to Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University.

Ashley Keach of Columbus identified herself on Facebook as the fire-breather. She said her injuries were minor and she would be "just fine."
[bold mine]

I wonder what she considers a serious mishap, something like being accidently drawn and quartered?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #2861
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I always thought it unfortunate that the severity of a burn is described in 'degrees'.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #2862
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

At least there are only three degrees when it comes to burns, imagine if they went up to 11?
Old 10-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #2863
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

They're gonna fix. They're not gonna fix it.

They're gonna fix it.

Quote:
Officials at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, say it will cost $3.2 million to fill in the sinkhole that opened beneath the museum's Skydome area in February. Work on the repairs will start November 10 and will take approximately nine months to complete.

Eight Chevrolet Corvette models on display at the museum fell into the sinkhole in February, and were painstakingly removed by a construction team. General Motors plans to restore three of the damaged cars, while others will be left on display as they emerged from the sinkhole. Although the National Corvette Museum initially planned to leave the gaping sinkhole untouched -- it's proven so popular that tourist visits to the museum increased significantly this year -- doing so would have been more expensive than simply filling and repairing the hole.

Work will begin November 10 and is scheduled to be completed by July 2015. Construction crews will remove boulders from the hole, before filling it with 4000 tons of stone, installing support beams and trusses, rebuilding entrance doors and other infrastructure improvements, and finally installing a new floor. The museum will have a webcam feed on its website showing the progress of the reconstruction effort, and plans to create some sort of sinkhole permanent exhibit about the event next year.

"We appreciate all of the support, feedback, ideas and prayers throughout this very interesting time in our history," National Corvette Museum executive director Wendell Strode said in a statement. “Sunday, November 9 will be the very last day to see the sinkhole up close and in person – so if you’ve been wanting to check it out for yourself you have just over three weeks to do so.”

Source: National Corvette Museum
Some photos you've seen before in the article over at MotorTrend.

Now, iirc, when the hole was filled with just dirt (and a few boulders), it was too much, and it caved in. What's gonna happen when you toss 8,000,000 pounds of stone in there?

Also, why remove the boulders?

Old 10-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #2864
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Doesn't matter as long as they build the floor over it like a bridge deck.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #2865
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Heh, if they'd did that to start with, we wouldn't be having this conversation.