The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"The big black lesbian is out of her mind with lust."

In 1991, this phrase got Howard Stern fined million$ and threatened with de-licensing.

By the FCC

Same FCC that, up to a few days ago, everyone desperately wanted to protect us, from something they did not understand.

The FCC has been on my own personal enemies list for almost 4 decades.

Watch what you wish for, friends.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is this a net neutrality post? I'm (genuinely) confused.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The government says there's nothing to worry about and it's just a lot of fear mongering. Would the government lie to you?

sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

After all, this new tax bill will give them more tan enough money to satiate them so they won't have to do bad things.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

It looks like FDR delayed a shooting war with the working class rather than preventing a shooting war with the working class. The GOP's affection for weaponry might be poorly conceived.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Time to stock up on Madeira?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Is this a net neutrality post? I'm (genuinely) confused.
Yeah, but it's not for or against net neutrality, it's just against the FCC. But I have been reminded of the FCC by the millions of demands I've seen for us to ask them to save us wrt net neutrality. The FCC is just five appointed assholes, they aren't in the saving business. Laws need to be made by lawmakers if people want them to stick.

And I believe the FCC has zero jurisdiction over any wired connection in the United States of America, but I may be in the minority on that. (It used to be that the FCC couldn't stop people from saying FUCK on cable TV, because those connections were wired. If that is the case, how can they tell anyone how to move packets across wired network connections?)
Old 12-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
and it's just a lot of fear mongering
The opposition is us, and we are freakin' morons.

Anyone think smaller websites will be blocked or limited? I don't! I am taking your wagers that nothing will change. Any limitation is on future innovations, not what we have going in 2017.

But half of future innovations will REQUIRE lack of net neutrality, as they probably require a Quality of Service approach that needs network packets to be treated with favoritism.

Come back to this post in Dec 2027 to see if that statement makes more sense.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
(It used to be that the FCC couldn't stop people from saying FUCK on cable TV, because those connections were wired.
You bought and paid for that medium. FCC said "fuck" on those wires was no different than "fuck" in Playboy. Then extremists got in and banned it. Complaints against the FCC are misdirected. Complaints should be at the political agenda that keeps subverting the FCC. FCC is again dominated by people who want to enrich companies who already charge excessively for communication. Companies who want to spend less on their networks while charging more customers more money.

FCC always had jurisdiction over how 'public' wired systems work. Always. Which is completely different from what occurs on private connections. Their restrictions are on public connections. You can say "fuck" all you want on a private phone connection between two private parties. Even the wackos who got into the FCC admit that cannot be restricted.

Net neutrality is the next obstruction that Comcast, et al needs charge more people for things that work better under net neutrality. They don't want to innovate - just increase profits.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote