The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #241
jinx
Come on, cat.

This site is just awesome... the information... the recipes...

Food Timeline
Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #242
Pie
Gone and done

Cool! Great find, jinx.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #243
busterb
NSABFD

Jinx, just damn you! Do you have any idea what time it is? Tnxs. Have a big bird day.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #244
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

A Winner! Comfort food from a Simi Valley cop

He won a contest with this one, and a prize of twenty five thousand bucks too.

Cheese Lovers' Five Cheese Mac & Cheese

From Foodnetwork.com

And for anybody not wanting to use the link:

Quote:
Ingredients

* Kosher salt
* 1 (16-ounce) package macaroni (cellentani or other curly noodle)
* 1/4 pound bacon, diced
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to butter baking dish
* 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 2 1/2 cups whole milk
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1 sprig fresh thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups grated fontina
* 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
* 3/4 cup grated Gruyere
* 3/4 cup grated white Cheddar (Australian)
* 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
* 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
* 1/4 cup bread crumbs

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.

In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, saute the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until soft. Add the 5 tablespoons butter to the onion mixture and melt the butter stirring with a wooden spoon.

Using a whisk, add the flour, and stir constantly until well mixed with the fat making a roux. Whisk in the mustard. Gradually add the milk and cream whisking constantly.

Add the thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Let come to a simmer and stir frequently for 15 minutes.

Strain the hot milk mixture into a metal bowl and discard the solids. Working quickly, mix in 1 cup fontina, blue cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere, 1/2 cup white Cheddar, 1/2 cup Parmesan, the reserved bacon, and parsley. Continue to stir until all cheese is melted.

Add the cooked noodles to the cheese mixture to coat. Add the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish. Mix the remaining cheese and bread crumbs together and sprinkle on top of the noodles. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Remove from oven when done and rest for 5 minutes.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #245
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have some ground beef+pork+lamb here and will be needing your meatloaf recipes for tomorrow night.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #246
Urbane Guerrilla

Nothin' good looking on the 'Net, or will that be the backup plan?

I like a meatloaf and haven't made any in simply decades.

I went looking for Heloise's Meatloaf. So far I've found this:

Quote:
Dear Heloise: I have one more add-in for meatloaf. It's sugar-coated flakes of breakfast cereal. It might sound strange, but the sugar takes the edge off the ketchup that I also use. Family and friends request my meatloaf all the time. Try it — it's fabulous. This was my mom's secret ingredient. — Kathy P. Keyes, Hot Springs, Va.

Sounds interesting. I've heard of just flaked corn cereal as an ingredient, but not the one with the sugar. Here's another meatloaf hint, from Carol Haufler of San Antonio. She says: "My aunt had a cafe during the Second World War, when meat was rationed. She stretched the ground meat for hamburgers or meatloaf by adding white cornmeal. I add yellow cornmeal to my meatloaf today." — Heloise
And this:

Quote:
Meatloaf

January 12, 2009 by angie Schilling
Filed under Healthy Recipes

I have to be in the mood to make meatloaf, but when I am in the mood it turns out fabulous. Here is a great recipe that I use and it turns out great all the time.
Take one pound of lean ground beef and mix it with one egg, two squirts of ketschup, and about 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Mix it well and season with salt and pepper. Add as many onions as you please, then press into a greased glass loaf pan.
Combine 3/4 cup ketschup with two tablespoons of brown sugar. Spread this on top of the meatloaf and then bake for one hour at 375 degrees. Let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting it.
I find this meatloaf is wonderful served with mashed potatoes and homemade rolls. It really hits the spot after having a long day at work and your whole family will enjoy it.
And I guess it will take fairly serious Googling to find the Heloise meatloaf actually on the 'net, instead of some incidentals gleaned from Heloise columns.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 01-15-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 AM   #247
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Cheese Lovers' Five Cheese Mac & Cheese
The only problem with making that dish is that once my kids get a taste of it I will never get away with making mac and cheese from a box ever again.

I have learned to not make fancy stuff unless there is no analogous plain jane version to compare it to thus saving me from ridicule and scorn when subsequently preparing said vanilla version.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #248
Urbane Guerrilla

Teach them how, and tell 'em if they want it, they cook it, and no kvetching. One or more of those kids is likely to turn into a good cook once they get good with Five Cheese Mac & Cheese. And why should this not work more than once? But don't spring it as a surprise: tell them ahead of time that this is what you're going to be doing with the grand recipes that kick the plain-jane ones around like a football.

But this optimistic campaign plan might best be implemented a few years down the line -- keep it on file for Great Feasts, Meals Of Occasion, and other capital-letter festivities.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #249
Urbane Guerrilla

Re: Five Cheese Mac & Cheese

Had it at TGIFriday's last week -- the winning recipes in the contest were added to the Friday's menu. It is very rich and fairly oily. Decidedly a restaurantish kind of recipe. A small portion will do all but the hungriest.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #250
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Define 'small'
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #251
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Re: Five Cheese Mac & Cheese

Had it at TGIFriday's last week -- the winning recipes in the contest were added to the Friday's menu. It is very rich and fairly oily. Decidedly a restaurantish kind of recipe. A small portion will do all but the hungriest.
The contest being the Food Network Challenge or something like that? Was bleu one of the cheeses?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #252
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I can't think of five cheeses I want want to waste in Mac n Cheese!
I'd rather have them with crusty bread.

Oh wait, yes I can think of cheese I'm happy to waste, but it's all the bland grim stuff which is barely worth the name anyway - and won't really get any better when served on my least favourite pasta anyway.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #253
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Once each quarter, I go to a meeting that features a pot luck.

Most of the time I'm in too much of a hurry to actually make something. This month I planned ahead and had everything on hand to make some Thai Peanut Noodles.

I decided what I wanted to make and then went hunting for a recipe.

It was awesome. Everybody at the meeting said so, and I have a lengthy list of people who asked for the recipe.

For convenience, I served it cold, but it's awesome when it's hot.

Also, you can throw whatever else you want into it to make it more of a meal ... stir fry veggies for sure, and perhaps chicken or tofu.

SPICY THAI PEANUT NOODLE RECIPE

Ingredients:
  • 6 Tbsp of Crunchy Peanut Butter (Note: I used Jif)
  • 4 Tbsp of Water
  • 3 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
  • 3 Tbsp of Sesame Oil
  • 3 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
  • 4 Tbsp of Honey
  • 1 Tbsp of Sugar (optional)
  • 1 ˝ Tbsp of Minced Ginger Root (Note: I cheated. I used 1 tsp of Powdered Ginger)
  • 1 ˝ Tbsp of Minced Garlic Cloves (Note: I cheated here too. I used 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder)
  • 1 Tbsp of Crushed Red Peppers (Note: I used a bit less than one Tablespoon. As noted below, the recipe originally called for 1-1/2 Tablespoon. With the amount of crushed peppers that I used it was pleasantly hot, with even the hot-wimps liking it without too much complaining.)
  • 1 16oz Package of Spaghetti or Linguine

In a large saucepan, bring 8-10 cups of water to a boil and cook the pasta as directed on the box (usually 8-10 minutes).

While the spaghetti is cooking, place another saucepan on low heat and mix together the peanut butter and water. Once the peanut butter warms up it will mix nicely with the water and you should end up with a soupy peanut butter mixture in the saucepan.

One by one, add the vegetable oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and honey thoroughly stirring the sauce after each ingredient is added. If the sauce begins to bubble, turn the heat down a little bit. By now you should have a few minutes left before the pasta is done.

Peel the garlic and ginger root and chop them up with a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you can finely chop the garlic and ginger with a knife (it is tedious work, but these ingredients are essential). Once the garlic and ginger root are chopped up, stir them into the saucepan along with the optional 1 Tbsp of sugar.

Drain the pasta, and then place it back in the large saucepan until you are done preparing the sauce.

Add the crushed red pepper to the sauce. The original recipe called for 1 ˝ Tbsp but you may find this too spicy. I would start with a little less than 1 Tbsp of crushed red peppers and gradually increase to your taste. Simmer the sauce for two minutes to allow all of the ingredients to blend together. Keep in mind that more “spicy heat” from the crushed red peppers will be released as it simmers in the saucepan. If you feel that the peanut sauce needs a little more “kick” add more crushed red peppers after the initial 2 minute simmer.

Once the delicious peanut sauce has simmered and you have adjusted the “spiciness” to your taste, simply mix the sauce in with the cooked pasta and serve!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #254
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Maidrites/Manwiches

2T +/- minced garlic
1/2 c. +/- onion (fresh is best, but flakes can be used if you cook them with the meat when it browns)
1 lb hamburger (or whatever meat or meat substitute you want)
1 can Campbells chicken gumbo soup
Heinz ketchup
French's yellow mustard
Seasonings of choice. I like Trader Joes 21 seasoning salute or Garlic Garlic and garlic or onion salt.
medium salsa/picante sauce (wtf is the difference, anyway??)

In large skillet brown hamburger. Pour cooked meat into spaghetti strainer sitting in 2 plastic shopping bags in garbage can*.

Use the residual fat in the pan to saute the onions and garlic while the hamburger is draining. When the onions are soft, add the hamburger back to the pan, then add the can of gumbo soup. Stir well.

From this point on, I don't really measure anything, I go by taste. My best guesstimates are:

Add ~1/4 c. yellow mustard, ~3/4 c. ketchup. (the last time i made this though, I cut back more on the ketchup and added more salsa/picante for a little more kick)
1 T. 21 seasoning salute.
1/2 T. onion/garlic salt
1 c. salsa/picante

Sorry, every time I make it, it's a little different depending on my mood and whatever seasonings I have in the cupboard.

At this point, you can throw it in a crock pot on low for however long you want, or let it simmer uncovered in the pan for 20 minutes then eat it right away. By letting it simmer with the lid off, it concentrates the flavors a bit, and isn't quite so 'runny'.

This keeps well in the fridge, I've never tried to freeze it. Leftovers are good on triscuits as well if you've run out of buns.

*Pouring grease down your sink will eventually clog your pipes and be very disgusting/expensive to clear. Even if you run the hot water. I learned this the hard way

Last edited by LabRat; 03-13-2009 at 01:09 PM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #255
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Define 'small'
Oval dish, no longer than five inches on the major axis. About an inch deep too. A little dab will definitely do ya. (is there a burp smilie?)

Jinx, yeah, that's it. Certainly the sprinkle of bleu cheese really makes the dish... or Gorgonzola or Stilton. Lends it a piquancy. If you have to fudge on the cheeses, don't lose the bleu.

Tags
recipes