The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dec 23rd, 2017: Cairngorm Reindeer

Now everyone believes Santa make his annual rounds with 8 reindeer plus Rudolf on foggy nights.
C’mon, reindeer aren’t that strong, and having a reindeer blowout at speed is grim, very grim.
The truth is Santa has spares stashed a numerous locations, one being in Scotland’s Cairngorms National Park
In 1952 Santa persuaded the government to let his front man, Mikel Utsi and his wife Ethel Lindgren, bring reindeer from Sweden
and run a spare reindeer farm using 10,000 acres of the National Park for free grazing.
Then Alan and Elizabeth Smith took over in the 80’s, added public tours, a gift shop, mail order, and sponsorships of a reindeer
for £39 ($53) a year. All with free food from the park, sweet deal.

Quote:
There is a daily guided trip that allows visitors to stroke and feed the animals. Reindeer are poorly suited to captivity. Without space to roam in their natural environment and climate, they rarely stay healthy.
They repeat that mantra to keep the sweetheart deal with the park from being criticized.

Quote:
These tame and friendly reindeer are not just for Christmas, visitors can see them all year round. While the big adult males are trained to pull a sleigh on wheels, they only do so for public appearances.
A believable cover story for Santa duty training.

link

link
Old 12-23-2017, 03:32 AM   #2
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Meanwhile, in London, a city slicker reindeer laughs at his rural cousins and takes a taxi.

Name:  City Slicker.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  112.8 KB

Quote:
Gordon Elliott takes his reindeer Prancer with him in his black cab for some shopping in Enfield, north London.
From The Times on Wednesday 20th December.
Saved the image but can't find the original article hence no link.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Could it be Mr Elliot has more than one critter?
Old 12-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Could it be Mr Elliot has more than one critter?
So it would appear!

A quick Google came up with this:

Quote:
Man takes pet reindeer for bus ride to pub

Gordon Elliot regularly takes the pet reindeer he raised from birth for a trip on the bus to the local pub.

Five-year-old Dobbey can often be seen at the pub, on the bus or at the shops with Mr Elliott.

Dobbey was hand-reared from birth by Mr Elliott, 65, who is known as 'Dr Dolittle' by neighbours in Enfield, north London.

The builder and dad-of-two, has spent the last 15 years rearing an array of animals at his farm.

"Dobbey is just one of seven reindeer I have at my farm," he said, "I take him for a walk every Saturday and Sunday down the high street. "We go to the burger bar, the pub, all over.

"It is certainly a strange sight when a reindeer with 3ft antlers is wandering around the high street in September."

But it is around the festive season that life gets a little hectic.

My life totally changes at Christmas," said Mr Elliott.

"I take the reindeer around the town to see the schools, nurseries and to Santa's grotto.

"On Christmas morning I dress up like Father Christmas and take Dobbey out through the town to see the children and to raise money.

"Unfortunately, reindeers' antlers fall off around early December but people are still impressed by Dobbey.

"I even taken him to church on Christmas morning and everyone loves seeing him."

Gordon keeps his animals in a six acre field and two-acre wood, known to locals as 'Elliott's Field'.

"They are all in different pens but they all graze on the field together," he said.

"At my farm the reindeer and the camels, donkeys, goats all get on together.

"The reindeer have a special diet of carrots, toasted bread, sugar beat, celery, cabbage and then they eat the grass."

He added: "My wife Marion thinks I'm a bit barmy sometimes. But I just love all my animals."
Daily Telegraph link.

(Usual paywall spiel applies).
Old 12-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Heh heh, in Scotland...
Quote:
The herd gathers around Ruth Molloy for their food. Visitors are asked not to bring carrots for the reindeer. As arctic animals, they do not recognise carrots as food as the vegetables do not grow in their natural habitat
In England...
Quote:
"The reindeer have a special diet of carrots, toasted bread, sugar beat, celery, cabbage and then they eat the grass."
Old 12-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

In London everyone, including reindeer, is soooo sophisticated you see? Especially when it comes to haute cuisine.