The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #211
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Is craigslist free for sellers?
Free for everyone. No money involved on the website at all. You have to watch a little more closely for scams, but they're pretty obvious--"diamond rings" listed for $100, just show up in this alley at night with the cash, or "I want to buy your thing, but I have to write a check..." As long as you deal in cash and meet in public it's fine.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #212
Clodfobble

Oh yeah--I also found a guy to do some in-person research for me a few months back. Posted an ad offering $50 to any student with access to the library I wanted, and the kid was in touch within 3 hours. He had to trust me to Paypal it, of course, but we chatted on the phone for a few minutes to explain what I wanted, and it was obvious we were both normal, non-scammy folks. Craigslist is awesome.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #213
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I've only ever used Craigslist to buy things. Been burned a couple times. Not robbed, just over promised and underdelivered.

Worth noting, two other exceptions to the purchases only history. . . My last two jobs were found by me on Craigslist. Including the current gig.

Craigslist *is* awesome.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #214
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Not aware of FB marketplace. Is it public or just friends? Local ones at that.
Public, and it also aggregates results from all buy/sell/trade FB boards you're already on. Yes, I'd use it for local, like come pick up and bring cash --a public "garage sale" where I simply warehouse the goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Isn't FB Marketplace just Craigslist with a different audience? For what it's worth, I still sell stuff on Craigslist all the time--not always because it's too big to ship, often it's little things that I just don't want to bother shipping.
It's guess its like Craigslist, but its available as a tab on the application I'm already staring at all day.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #215
glatt

How does this scammer make money?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Agnes-Co...sAAOSwtptZ0xOE

Seller is selling a $400 brand new tent for a buy-it-now price of $20. Seller joined Ebay a week ago and has 0 feedback. Seller is in China and says estimated shipping will have the tent arriving in December. Clearly a scam.

Ebay has a money back guarantee. If a buyer were to buy this non-existent tent, the buyer has to jump through some hoops when it doesn't arrive, but should get their money back.

So does the seller just close their account, take the $20 payment, and run from Ebay? I guess what I'm asking is if Ebay is being scammed by the seller or is the buyer is being scammed by the seller? I've seen a bunch of these new Chinese accounts selling super cheap high end stuff and have zero feedback, so its common.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #216
Clodfobble

Maybe the item is stolen? Or rather, when they get an order for one, they go steal one?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #217
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Why don't you contact Big Agnes and ask them about it? You can say that you wanted to know if their warranty will cover the item sold by this seller to get the conversation going. You can even send them a link to the listing. You might learn something. They might learn something too.

https://support.bigagnes.com/hc/en-us
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #218
Freaky
Fellow-Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I've only ever used Craigslist to buy things. Been burned a couple times. Not robbed, just over promised and underdelivered.

Worth noting, two other exceptions to the purchases only history. . . My last two jobs were found by me on Craigslist. Including the current gig.

Craigslist *is* awesome.
Craigslist is definitely underestimated by a lot of folks. Not everything is gold, but even on Amazon you can get scammed.
Freaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #219
Harold
Recruit or Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
Craigslist is definitely underestimated by a lot of folks. Not everything is gold, but even on Amazon you can get scammed.
totally agree with you
Harold is offline   Reply With Quote