The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Mental Health

I have been prodded, pushed, convinced to see a psych professional by my boyfriend. It ended with her prescribing me some meds for depression and anxiety (after only one session). Then, they told me that they didn't have a therapist available for me to talk to because I wanted a woman (sorry guys - it's just easier for me). I do have an appointment in a month with the one who prescribed the meds.

I started taking the pills yesterday and COULD NOT get to sleep. If I fell asleep, I couldn't stay there. I feel like a zombie. I took my pill today, but I am debating just not taking them and looking for another office. I would rather have some depression and anxiety and be able to sleep than feeling like a zombie all day.

Any guidance will be appreciated. I am not asking for medical advice from the interwebs, just some......I don't know. I guess I don't really know why I am posting this or what I am asking. *SIGH*
Old 11-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Do the notes included in the packaging refer to side effects etc?

Often a few days needs to elapse before things settle down.

Might be worth persevering with to give the meds a chance to do their stuff.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

bbro, your body needs to adjust to the meds. Different medications act differently in different people. I've tried a number of them until I find the right 'cocktail' and each time there was an adjustment period.

So it may be that you just need time to adjust. It may be that the meds aren't the right ones for you. I would try to take them until you talk to the therapist and express these concerns.

I don't believe in throwing meds at everything. I know that for me, the meds probably saved my life.

Without getting into the details of your situation, I wonder if the doctor spoke with you at length about your symptoms or if it is just one of those who throw meds at everything.

And you say you were rather pushed into this by your boyfriend. He must have some concerns for your well-being. Is this what YOU want? Do YOU think there is a problem or does your boyfriend just find you 'difficult' at times.

Obviously there are no easy answers, and I can only speak from my personal experience...it is YOUR health and you will take responsibility for it when you have a nice long chat with your therapist as to your situation, your symptoms, and what sort of outcome you are looking for.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
bbro, your body needs to adjust to the meds. Different medications act differently in different people. I've tried a number of them until I find the right 'cocktail' and each time there was an adjustment period.
This

Also, get therapy from somewhere else, if you have to. Hopefully, your insurance situation allows you to do that.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

When I went on SSRIs it took weaning on, starting with a week of 1/4 dose, week of 1/2 dose, week of 3/4 dose and then the full amount. It further took 2 months to really take effect.

It also takes weaning off when you stop.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
bbro

@Carruthers - yes. They list a lot of things for side effects. Trouble sleeping is one of them. It conflicts on whether to contact doctor immediately or if it is severe

@Infinite Monkey - I am trying to be patient, but I suck at that when I don't feel good. I am going to give it until the end of the weekend and give her a call. If she weans me off them, I am just going to wait until I get another person.

No worries about the boyfriend - he did it because I do need to go. He wants the best for me and wants me to feel good. He felt bad that they didn't actually have room for me. It's something I have been thinking about for a long time - he just nagged enough to get me to actually do it. It is a positive thing. If it wasn't, I probably wouldn't have gone

@Spexxvet - I have no idea what my insurance covers. Not much, probably, but all offices I know of are good about payment plans. I need to get online and find another office.

@Undertoad - really? She never said anything about weaning on them. She definitely warned against not weaning off. I wonder if weaning on them would have been better
Old 11-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well you shouldn't take any advice from me on this, your med may have different properties, and the thinking may have changed about how to go onto a med for the best results. Maybe they want you to be under the effects of the med quickly, in a month, instead of the two months it took me.

I do know that the initial side effects will not last, and it's the side effects that you have once you're fully on, after a month or two, that may require med adjusting.

Once it was working, the lifting of the depression was a most excellent time. It may reward you for these early sleepless nights.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Well you shouldn't take any advice from me on this, your med may have different properties, and the thinking may have changed about how to go onto a med for the best results. Maybe they want you to be under the effects of the med quickly, in a month, instead of the two months it took me.

I do know that the initial side effects will not last, and it's the side effects that you have once you're fully on, after a month or two, that may require med adjusting.

Once it was working, the lifting of the depression was a most excellent time. It may reward you for these early sleepless nights.
Not to worry I am not going to change anything without talking to my doctor. We will see how the weekend goes. Even if it is better in the long run, I cannot function for long without sleep. I am having some trouble with functioning today.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Better living through pharmaceuticals. I know a lot of guys who have to go several months before getting individual therapy. Getting into a group is fairly simple and can serve as a stop gap. At least for people like me.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
bbro

I am feeling better today. Not much of an appetite, but I at least got some sleep. I don't remember any dreams though, which is odd. I used music to drift off and was able to sleep some.

I figured out why I can't get to sleep. It may sound weird, but when I go to sleep, I go off into a fantasy/daydream world and drift off from it. It's better than just laying there trying to stop all the thoughts from the day. Turns out, I can't do that anymore. Hopefully, this isn't a permanent thing. What would I do without my imagination? I think this is the first time in my life there aren't some scenarios running through my mind when not occupied. It's unnerving.

I am more interested in food than I was yesterday afternoon/this morning. I am taking that as a good sign.

I don't feel as out of it as I did yesterday. That is another good thing. I don't really feel like doing anything, but it's Saturday

Hopefully, this will keep getting better as I get adjusted to the medicine.

I am currently looking for a different office. The thing is, I have already gotten the worst stuff out already. I am just not as motivated this time around. I also have A LOT of other things going on right now. Other doctor's appointments, court dates, interviews. I just can't seem to find the time to do it all. I don't get PTO, so I have to work extra every time I take some time out of work. Just adds to the stress I am trying to alleviate.

It's all just a big circle, it seems
Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

The best thing I do to stop my mind running wild at night, to fall asleep...is I pick a subject and go through the alphabet naming things for that subject. Like, US cities, or world cities, or countries, or foods, or animals etc. And I'm really lenient with myself. I don't care if it takes me a few breaths in and out to come up with an answer, and it's fine if I can't come up with anything (I have yet to think of a "D" vegetable, for instance) so I just come up with something close. I find myself drifting off, then being half awake trying to remember where I left off. It really does the trick for me. It's like you're keeping your mind busy without thinking about all the bad parts of the day or the 'what ifs' or (if you're like me) reminding myself how much I suck.

It's sort of gives your mind a relaxing routine without being taxing...and you can be as specific or non-specific as you like. (Like, naming countries is easier than naming brands of cookies or something...but you gotta mix it up so you're not just repeating the same things every night.)

And, if you're like me, the dreaming will come back. I'm dream as much or more (or remember as much of them or more) than before, even.

Keep on keepin' on, bbro!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
bbro

Thanks infinite monkey.

I am still not dreaming. It's very weird I can't tell if I slept or not anymore or for how long. All I notice is closing my eyes and opening my eyes.

My appetite hasn't gotten any better really. Like last night, I had Wendy's (I know, I know), but it seemed to make me nauseous. I am hungry this morning, but I don't want food. I am going to see if yogurt will be ok. I've lost over 3 pounds in the same amount of days!!

And the oddest thing yesterday, I felt kind of high for about half the day. Foggy mind, light headed, didn't want to hold my head up. It passed eventually, but it wasn't a pleasant feeling. I hope it doesn't happen all the time
Old 11-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
bbro

I have decided that I am not going to be taking any more of this medicine. I called my doctor yesterday and left a message well before closing and still have not heard from anyone in the office.

While I do think it is working for me, the side effects are not fading and I want a doctor that is more responsive. Apparently they really are too busy for me.

I started looking for some other practices last night. My worry is that I got all my crying/worries out in that first appointment. I guess I will see how I feel after I stop my medicine
Old 11-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Be careful you aren't looking for an instant cure from a magic doctor/drug. If you are, you'll be disappointed over and over. It'll take time, but you can do this.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Be careful you aren't looking for an instant cure from a magic doctor/drug. If you are, you'll be disappointed over and over. It'll take time, but you can do this.
I agree. I just don't think taking pills and seeing someone once a month is a good plan to healthy. It seems like she is just throwing pills at me. I want someone that will be there for me and able to see more often than once a month. The way I want to do it is actually longer/more expensive than just taking the pills - lol. There are other options for SSRIs and hopefully the next doctor can recommend a different one that works better for me

And I still haven't heard from them about my message yesterday.