The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-23-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

How fast can you type?

On the other meesage board I frequent, someone asked for help learning to do "homerow" typing to improve his speed, as he uses the two-finger method. Someone suggested learn2type.com, and I went there to take a test (registration is free, if you want to try it yourself). I have always listed my typing speed at 45 WPM, because that's what my keyboarding instructor told me my first year of college. On the short test I just took, it said my accuracy was "impressive", which I guess means no errors, because I looked at it and couldn't find any. But it said my speed was 37 WPM, which I know can't possibly be right. I know my typing speed has increased since college. Admittedly, it was an extremely short test and it was text I wasn't familiar with. I think I do better over a longer period of time, and when I'm typing my own words. Then again maybe I'm just not as fast as I thought I was.
What's your speed?
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

when i was a head hunter i tested (on proprietary software) all admin type applicants. people get faster the more familiar they are with the text or even simply the subject of the text. makes sense. generally you are much faster when putting your own thoughts on screen.
i was told that typing speeds have (total words adjusted for accuracy) have decreased greatly in the last 10 years because we all have computers with spellcheck and no longer have any penalty for grammar and spelling as we had with typewriters.

all that to say this - when you go to take a test you will generally have to think more about what you are typing now than you would have, say 10 years ago.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It gave me a 48. But I think that test is bogus. They give you all kinds of words that you wouldn't normally use, in orders that you wouldn't normally use. So it isn't measuring your typical speed.

As an programmer/sysadmin sort I can type the words "print" "exit" "strtok" and "cellar crash messages lost sorry" with a much higher rate.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
TheSnake
Resident President

Thanks to Instant Messanger, we are all faster at typing.
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #5
TheSnake
Resident President

but apparently it didn't improve our spelling....*Messenger*
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I last had my speed checked in early 2003...60 wpm, 99% accuracy. Probably hasn't changed much since then.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:24 PM   #7
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

This is the first test I've taken is a lot of years. I got 71 wpm after the adjustment for errors. In college I typed 85 wpm. I had a job working at Western Union and my speed increased typing telegrams. I wonder if they adjust for the time it takes to click on the box to start the timer and to click on it again when you're finished. That could seriously be another 3 or 4 words.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
lookout123
changed his status to single

keep in mind that we don't exactly represent most of america. we are online holding detailed discussions that must be typed. although much of what we post is just nyuk nyuk stuff, we do have some pretty in depth conversations that we are choosing to type - conversations that most americans don't even hold verbally. for us to be able (and willing) to do that, we are generally going to have better typing skills than the average individual.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:41 AM   #9
marichiko

Yeah, we're great. I don't have the foggiest how fast I type. When I was in graduate school I had a professor who actually encouraged his woman students to not worry about their typing. "You will be professionals," he said, "and have your own typist." Don't let anyone dump typing work on you because you're women. You will have more important things to do." I enjoyed his attitude and advise and my typing speed has gone downhill every since!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
The last time I tested for typing speed I had about 63 wpm when allowed to go backspace and delete errors and 72 when not allowed to make corrections. Of course, it helps to be a good speller to start with. A friend of mine can type as fast as I can, but his accuracy sucks because he's a horrible speller. I wonder if any of those typing tests take that into account...?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #11
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Yeah, we're great. I don't have the foggiest how fast I type. When I was in graduate school I had a professor who actually encouraged his woman students to not worry about their typing. "You will be professionals," he said, "and have your own typist." Don't let anyone dump typing work on you because you're women. You will have more important things to do." I enjoyed his attitude and advise and my typing speed has gone downhill every since!
Here here! That's great!
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #12
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

64 wpm, no mistakes.

Considering how many papers I did in college, and that I worked for an order center doing data entry, that sucks.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:15 AM   #13
glatt

35 wpm, no mistakes. I never took typing. I type with six of my ten digits.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #14
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

That's how I started. I used my thumbs, index fingers, and middle fingers and was doing about 40-50 wpm when I used to do a lot of programming. My friends said I'd be super fast if I learned how to use all of my fingers. When I started learning how to type, my speed dropped to almost nothing and gradually got faster. I found that if I didn't think about it, I actually typed faster. It's funny I get much slower if I look at the keyboard than if I don't. It's like I trip over myself.

I've surprised a few secretaries when I've typed faster than they do. They don't expect to see a fairly large man typing so fast.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #15
breakingnews
Q_Q

I got 93 wpm, with "impressive" accuracy.

I know, I'm a total computer dork, but after a) all that instant messaging in college, and b) working in journalism for a few years (4 years at the college paper, coming on 2 years in the real world), I've become accustomed to typing at breakneck speeds. I also think good dexterity runs in my family - nearly everyone has been successful at things like art and music.

Oh, I think I learned most of my typing skills from those typing games we were forced to play back in 5th or 6th grade. Then we got a new computer at home (a Mac Classic) and I guess I spent a lot of time on it. Probably much more so than now, and that was pre-Internet. Which raises another question: What on earth do you do with computers if they are not connected to the Web?

Last edited by breakingnews; 08-24-2004 at 10:29 AM.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote