The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2015, 06:05 AM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

What We Do in the Shadows.

I wanted to see it at the cinema, couldn't manage it for one reason or another. Then wanted it on DVD for ages, but had to wait until the price dropped. It wasn't big enough for people to buy it and then discard it at carboot sales, exchange electronic stores or charity shops. Found it with the wrong spelling on eBay (hahaha!) and almost made myself ill waiting to see if I was outbid. Obvs I wasn't... The seller was suitably disorganised though, and it's taken ages to get to me.

But I got it this morning and already gobbled it up.

If you can get it more easily than I can, do do do. It's totally bona.
New Zealand mockumentary about a house-sharing group of vampires. Comedy, but also a little bit of gore, genuine characters you feel for (it's a comedy and I still teared up?!) and one particularly terrifying moment - no more backpacks for me.

Antipodeans always do black comedy well IMO. And this is no exception. It's not as bittersweet as Muriel's Wedding, it's about vain, silly, male vampires. But if you approach it as a pure comedy, then you'll be surprised at the depth of feeling. Oh and when I say comedy, I mean of the Aussie/ Kiwi/ Brit style. No gags. Just reaction and situation. But the basgetti scene (for one) made me laugh out loud.

Tags
movies