The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 06-05-2002, 11:56 PM   #76
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
sites that 'prevent' right-clicking are cute.
Whoa! That's the first time I've ever seen a javascript warning like that.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:01 AM   #77
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Whoa! That's the first time I've ever seen a javascript warning like that.
Seriously?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:11 AM   #78
dave

I will go to my grave hating the evil mother fuckers who use that awful javascript. They are the one true evil in this world, and I hate them with all of my being.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:16 AM   #79
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by juju2112
Seriously?
As far as "this is a copyrighted site, you can't do that" sorta thing, yep.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:55 AM   #80
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
I will go to my grave hating the evil mother fuckers who use that awful javascript. They are the one true evil in this world, and I hate them with all of my being.
I fault not the webmasters as much as the program that lets them get away with it. It's my fucking program on my fucking computer so it should do what I want it to, not anyone else.

I installed Mozilla RC1 a couple weeks ago. It installed icons all over the fucking place.. AOL, Net2Phone, all kinds of shit were all over my system tray, Quick Launch, top of the Start Menu, Programs under the Start Menu, my quick-link IE toolbar, my IE Favorites, my desktop.. every goddamned place they could think of. Not once did it ever ask if I wanted any fucking icons.

But as pissed as I am at that kinda shitty programming, I'm just as pissed at Windows for letting programs get away with this crap. Creating an icon should be some sorta system call where you can specify that a program doesn't have the right to create icons unless you say it can. Ditto for changing file associations.

It is heartening, however, to hear that Mozilla allows preventing popup/under ads, sites maximizing themselves, etc. Maybe it's worth another try after all.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 01:23 AM   #81
juju
no one of consequence

Mozilla does not, to my knowledge, do that. You're probably speaking of Netscape. And yes, it bugs the shit out of me when programs do that, too. That's why I use Mozilla and not Netscape. :)
Old 06-06-2002, 01:25 AM   #82
juju
no one of consequence

Also, most programs add an extra directory that is the name of their company. This directory is completely pointless, and serves only as an advertisement to their company. Within their pointless directory is one thing: another directory -- which contains the actual program.

I hate this practice with all of my being. Every time I see it (i.e., every time I install a windows program), I want to track the programmer down and strangle him. It makes me want to instigate revolution.

It's things like this that make me not be able to stand being in Windows for more than a few hours at a time.

Last edited by juju; 06-06-2002 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:08 AM   #83
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by juju2112
Mozilla does not, to my knowledge, do that. You're probably speaking of Netscape. And yes, it bugs the shit out of me when programs do that, too. That's why I use Mozilla and not Netscape.
Yes, you're right, it was Netscape RC1. Mmkay, maybe I will give it another try.

As far as the directory names with the company, this is actually a "recommendation" of Microsoft, and most install programs (the programs programmers use to write programs to install their programs) default to doing this.

I think it's silly as well, and so I change it whenever I write an install program, but you shouldn't blame the programmers too much.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 09:22 PM   #84
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Back to the thread,

This is what I'd look like as a South Park character.

Build yourself!

South Park Studio
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 09:50 PM   #85
elSicomoro

Heh...
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2002, 11:26 PM   #86
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

I'd already built this for the next Pink Pistols shoot. That's my lifepartner Gwennie on the left...
Attached Images

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:29 PM   #87
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly

As far as the directory names with the company, this is actually a "recommendation" of Microsoft...
Which tends to cause the boot drive to slowly fill up with crap that you can't easily move. I know Winusers that have bought new computers just because of this.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 09:12 AM   #88
dave

Except my hair is WAY longer. Like... down to my ass longer.

Sycamore's is scary accurate. That's almost exactly what he looked like when he was down here. Cool.

My hair color is lighter, too. And I shaved the sideburns down to the beard, so it's more like a light moustache down to a light goatee. But yeah.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:45 AM   #89
juju
no one of consequence

Old 06-07-2002, 10:03 AM   #90
dave

As you can see, Juju and I are a lot alike. We're both foaming-at-the-mouth assholes with long hair.