We have to go back, Kate!

Sciatica sucks
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #1907
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Started getting little muscle spasms in my right thigh. Kind of like a twitching eyelid... Or like bubbles coming up from boiling water. Pop pop pop....(these went on all day... Like having hiccups for 12 hours)...
If you ever end up having to describe these to a doctor down the line, I'll save you some time: they're called fasciculations. The key distinction is that they're happening in tiny shreds of muscles that you couldn't willfully isolate and move on your own. They're one of those annoying symptoms like "fatigue" that happen with a lot of conditions, and can be either super serious or no big deal.

(Awhile back I had them in my whole body for months, leading to a slew of tests from my neurologist to rule out new seizures, ALS, MS, etc. before we finally got them under control. Now I only get maybe 1-2 twitches per week, plus I get them steadily in both thighs for about 20 minutes after I exercise.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #1908
monster
I hear them call the tide

I've been hospitalized for sciatica twice. It's a bitch. Being allergic to morphine was the main reason for being admitted, though because muscle relaxant and pain relief are all they can do. So you did all the right things, hope it stays feeling better.

When all this is over, see someone about your back, because it's one of those things that can increase in frequency and severity, but sometimes there are exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles that prevent whatever has moved and is pressing on your sciatic nerve from doing so.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #1909
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Thanks. I've got a neighbor that dealt with this for 9 years until he got surgery. My dad had a bad bout of this recently too.

I'm hoping that mine will miraculously go away and never return.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #1910
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh, man. I hope the pain eases soon.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #1911
Griff
still says videotape

Dang. Take care of it man.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #1912
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

No miracles so far. I need to figure out how to deal with the pain. Yesterday, I could sit in a chair, and even get up and walk slowly around. The interval decreased from about 5 minutes to about 2 where I could get up and not feel that ache begin in my hip socket. Once that started, the femur started up yelling at me, then the knee, then into my shins within about a minute. Pain level just below that panic inducing pain of a Charlie horse... But in the bone. Deep in there.

Hobble back to my chair, sit down like I'm dropping a bag of flour... Then it would sing for 3 or 4 more minutes, and slowly fade. The relief is lovely. Makes you want to get back up and see how long you get.

Had to just gut it out to take a shower. Toward the end of that, I was rinsing with the hose thing, and had a moment of no pain abruptly. Then it came back when I got out. If I tuck my ass under and bend my right leg a bit, it eases. But I can't stand around like that.

Ok in my chair at the moment. I'm debating just trying a day of light activity like mowing the lawn, and seeing if that helps, or will I do more damage. If this goes on with no improvement 2 more days, I'm going to have to go see a chiropractor or something. I've got another month before we go back to work, I think. I really don't want to spend it idly trapped in my chair.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #1913
DanaC

Have you taken any pain meds?
Old 05-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #1914
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Aleve, generic ibuprofen, thc. Not much help. Though my pot is mostly sativa. Indica would be better.

It's not constant pain though. Just a dull ache when I sit, but fire alarm pain after moving about. Best thing has been sitting the fuck down again. Things I read say to try to keep moving. So I did that yesterday, but also sat in a chair a lot. This morning it hurt a bit more and faster than yesterday morning.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #1915
DanaC

alternating between a little light moving around and resting should help.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #1916
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Aleve, generic ibuprofen, thc. Not much help. Though my pot is mostly sativa. Indica would be better. ...
Have you tried chloroquine?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #1917
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Woe is me...

^No one got the irony (sigh).^

I guess I'm the only one here old enough to remember that quinine and its derivatives, like chloroquine, are muscle relaxants. Decades ago, quinine and vitamin E (to increase circulation) were combined to treat restless leg syndrome and sold over the counter.

The quinine dose was about 1/10 the therapeutic dose used as an antimalarial. Overdosing on it as a muscle relaxant could lead to the same adverse side affects and risks associated with the dosage for antimalarial use; so, the FDA restricted it back in the '90s. It's still used, by prescription, to treat chloroquine resistant strains of malaria which have mutated so much that they've come full circle and are susceptible to the original quinine treatment again.

I thought it was funny that the drug Trump touted as a possible anti-coronavirus treatment; but, was largely a big fail, could actually be applicable in this situation. These days, no doctor would prescribe it as a muscle relaxant though.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #1918
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's not a matter of age, it's obscure trivia in a specialized field that others haven't a clue about. We all have bags of shit nobody else would recognize if they stepped in it.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #1919
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Try alcohol. In particular vodka.

Minus the pills. And +5 on the thc.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #1920
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
thc.
tender humping care?