The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-27-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Comcast update for Wednesday. We hook up my kid's TV. It shows the program guide, but no programming. I call Comcast Customer "Service". I am on hold for 20 minutes. I then describe my problem and am told that they'll need to send a technician...and he can come out *next Wednesday*. A week from now.

I tell him that isn't acceptable. He says too bad (essentially). I ask for a supervisor. He says they don't have one, and he'll have one call me within 24 hours. I say "yeah, right, like that will happen". I then go on to query him about my telephone setup. He says there isn't anything in my account about a telephone. I tell him to look at the original order. He does. Yup, there it is. Still, there's nothing going on about a telephone setup, despite the fact that it appears in the original order. I go on at some length about how I am the customer and he is the service provider, and if I tell him I want a service, he's supposed to make it happen. Bottom line...I have no idea if or when I am getting phone service from them.

This company is remarkably inept, understaffed and incompetent. This is what having a monopoly gets you.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 AM   #17
Pancake Man
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

But it's Comcastic!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:15 PM   #18
Elspode

I fear that, to be in a given business these days, all one needs is an ad budget and a catch phrase. Whether or not you can actually provide the product or service you are advertising is irrelevant. All that matters is appearance. Substance doesn't count for shit.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:25 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Now they're crying the blues in ads, all day, about Verizon not playing fair. Boo Hoo.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #20
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Now they're crying the blues in ads, all day, about Verizon not playing fair. Boo Hoo.
The utter hypocricy of them complaining that Verizon is a monopoly exempt from competition and casting themselves as champion of the little guy (witness the garbage-bag Robin Hood ads) is revolting.

Note that the ads in which they cry are free to them; they can run them all day.

And do.

I'm waiting for Home Depot to notice how similar the music running under some of their VoD ads is to Home Depot's theme...only one or two notes difference with nearly identical insturmentation. They also run another ad with a soundtrack insanely derivative of the theme music for "I Dream of Jeannie".

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #21
Elspode

Competition? From whom? Not in my market, man. Comcast is the only cable game in town. Otherwise, I'd have to go DSL, and then I'd be a victim of ATT.

Its like choosing acid or poison...
Old 07-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Note that the ads in which they cry are free to them; they can run them all day.
Not so. There is lost opportunity cost for each of those ads you see on their medium. They would *much* rather have sold that spot to some other customer than use a filler ad for themselves.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #23
Elspode

Better yet...the money they lose running their own ads is probably then written off as lost revenue.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:46 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I haven't seen any Robin Hood type ads, but I am becoming quite fond of The Slowskis.

I know that Comcast is supposed to be something less than Comcastic, but I haven't had any problems ... great service, almost no interruptions in the three or four years I've had them, and very responsive to problems and service requests. AND the repair tech was at my house at the scheduled time.

I never had that happen with any of my prior cable companies ... Cablevision, Adelphia, or the proprietary crap company that my apt complex had before Comcast did their rebuild.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:36 PM   #25
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Not so. There is lost opportunity cost for each of those ads you see on their medium. They would *much* rather have sold that spot to some other customer than use a filler ad for themselves.
Based on the quality of the ads they do insert, and how hard they market the time, I'm assuming they're able to insert *much* more advertising than they have actual paid ads to run.

Lost opportunity cost: zero

Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #26
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Whatever.

You understood my answer to your economic point, and you evaded with a snarky comment on the quality of the ads. The ads they run are not free, no more than the food samples offered to shoppers as they walk through the store, regardless of the quality of the food.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #27
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Whatever. The ads they run are not free...
Yes, I understood your economic point, I didn't evade it: I just think it's bogus.

The airtime used to run their ads doesn't cost them anything...it occupies bandwidth that otherwise would have been used by (and generated additional revenue for, through improved ratings) the channel originator. It's not displacing a revenue-generating insertion for one of Comcast's advertising customers. The only thing limiting the insertions is

-1)the agreements they have with the channel originators and

-2)how much they can annoy the subscribers before they start showing up at Comcast offices intent on mayhem.

The comment on the ad quality isn't snarkism so much as an aggravating circumstance of the carpet-bombing intensity of the insertions (for Comcast ads) and the bargain-basement prices they must be offering the paid advertisers as indicated by their production quality.

I'm sure they "would rather have sold the time". But once it goes unsold--which it obviously does a lot--it's like an empty seat on an airliner; might as well put a deadhead in it. Which they do.

So there's no "lost opportunty cost". Do you work for Comcast or something?

Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #28
Elspode

News flash...Comcast still sucks.

Today, the guy came (made the appointment a week ago), looked around, did nothing, called his office, had my wife talk to them and tell them our problems, and then he left...having done nothing.

So...we still have glitchy cable tv and glitchy digital phone service. I wonder what's not going to happen next?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:36 AM   #29
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I wonder what's not going to happen next?
That probably depends on whether you pay them or not.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I haven't seen any correlation between paying the bill and service received, yet.
No, I haven't tried not paying the bill. I only know paying the bill doesn't guarantee service.