The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 09-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #346
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Train shoulda put a handkerchief, or a shop rag on the end of the load.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #347
Pamela
Deplorable

re: the log truck. Yes, I do see such things commonly. The rear dolly wheels are remotely steerable to enable tighter turns than would be possible with standard fixed wheels. Many oversize loads use these, although you can't tell just by looking unless you know exactly what to look for.

Still, I grade that driver a nine point eight for difficulty.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #348
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Stupid is as stupid does...
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #349
glatt

Maybe stupid. Maybe just ignorant.

I suspect they have learned their lesson with this particular danger. Too bad they didn't learn it in driver's ed.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #350
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Too bad they didn't learn it in driver's ed.
If only there was someway to warn people not to do things common sense would should keep them from doing...

Name:  rightpass.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  60.0 KB

Maybe they were in hurry...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #351
glatt

When a truck driver is making a turn like that do they normally glance in their side view mirror to see if some fool is trying to squeeze by?

I'm not saying they are required to. Just - is it common to do so?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #352
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

For the good/considerate drivers, probably.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #353
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I once had a trucker who was beginning a wide-angled turn like that, who saw me coming up the far left lane and stopped to see what I would do. Since I noticed him wanting to make that turn, I stopped and let him continue.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #354
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
I once had a trucker who was beginning a wide-angled turn like that, who saw me coming up the far left lane and stopped to see what I would do. Since I noticed him wanting to make that turn, I stopped and let him continue.
You're wonderful. I love people like you.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #355
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
When a truck driver is making a turn like that do they normally glance in their side view mirror to see if some fool is trying to squeeze by?

I'm not saying they are required to. Just - is it common to do so?
Once he does that he has a shitload of other things to watch for, too many to keep checking for some fool trying to sneak by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
I do everything I can to get by them, but I know what they're likely to do, what common sense says they have to do.
Going north on 322 today, it's mostly 2 lane with a center turn lane, and no passing for miles and miles. One short section up the hill in East Brandywine Twp, it's two lanes to the light at the shopping center and a couple hundred feet later it narrows to one lane. Of the three cars in front of me, two pass the truck but the third is pacing the truck despite my threats of castration and disembowelment. Sure enough the fool wakes up and scoots ahead at the last minute. I could have too but the truck has to move over, and would have to brake if I did, which would break his momentum and slow everyone behind me when he did merge. So I waited and let him pull over.

Now before you think I'm Mr nice guy, I was coming out RTE 30 from Lancaster, and it's from five lanes with a center turn lane, shopping on both sides, and a ton of lights. Then it narrows to three with a turn lane, so no passing for a zillion miles. I spot three trailer trucks ahead with about a half mile to the merge. Before I can get there the third, a cattle hauler, moves into the left lane. He's slower at the lights but not enough to get by. The other two beat him to the merge and I followed them and cut him the fuck off. He had to lock 'em up to a full stop. He deserved it.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #356
Pamela
Deplorable

I once squashed a Grand Am at Bridge and State just that way; he tried to sneak past me and paid the price.

Then he had the nerve to sue and won because Philly is the personal injury capital of the US and my lawyer basically doodled and tried to stay awake.

I figure by the time he paid tax and his lawyer, he had enough left to buy another used Grand Am. And yes, I had that same sign on the back of my trailer at the time.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #357
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well no every day as the wild herd rarely sleeps during the day.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #358
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

They look like scared goats.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #359
Pamela
Deplorable

High straight-line wind. Very dangerous, esp on bridges.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #360
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
High straight-line wind. Very dangerous, esp on bridges.
Does driving slower increase safety? Or does speed increase a downward force on the trailer?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote