The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quick! Secret Santa help!

No no, not the Cellar Secret Santa. Mr. Clod's office party Secret Santa. The party is tomorrow night, and I have accepted responsibility for picking up a Secret Santa present for his guy, since neither of us knows anything about him and I have (slightly) more room in my schedule than Mr. Clod.

He's in his mid-twenties, a computer developer of some sort, and is of Chinese descent but fully Americanized. That's all I know. Gift should be under $25, and I have to be able to go get it in person at a store tomorrow morning, preferably Target. What should I get him?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Itunes gift card?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Clodfobble

Are those compatible with non-iPod mp3 players?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I appreciate the fungibility of gift cards, but to me they're.. ptui.

My local Target is adjacent to my local Best Buy. There they have lots of computer-y stuffs. What about some silly USB doodad? I saw a Fan, and a Light. a hula girl, a cup warmer, a usb flashdrive shaped like a dog with realistic humping action (was truly rofl)... How about an actual gadget?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

A USB flash drive from your local discount store (Rite Aide ?) like this...
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

an assortment of fancy beers?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Are those compatible with non-iPod mp3 players?
Yes.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Clodfobble

USB drives are so indispensible, the company actually issues one to every employee. But a USB gadget might do the trick. I like the fancy beers option though, especially because I'm going to the grocery store tonight and I know they had some sort of "make your own six-pack of holiday beers" advertised. That would save me a trip tomorrow! I'll ask Mr. Clod if there's any evidence whether the guy drinks or not...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My ambulance fellah tells me that there are very nice cuddly blankets at the Walmart.

Since your time is short I won't recommend my go-to, which is a hand-crocheted or knitted scarf. I have a bagful of them, and rummage through it when necessary.

Some other non-sized commercial wintry item might be well received. I would veer away from obvious low-end tech gifts, as he's probably got drawersful of the stuff that he already doesn't use.

(If your store offers Anchor Christmas or Troegg's Mad Elf, go for the brewskis.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Sams Club has nice candy/chocolate gifts. Nice thing about those, if he doesn't like the candy, he can re-gift it! Or you could go to Cost Plus World Market and make up a goody basket yourself. Hmmm...that is if you have the time. I was just there and they had a station where they would put it together for you. Or get something from Hickory Farms - guys always like sausage and cheese.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Wolf is right. I've received a couple of those warm fuzzy throws and they're lovely. Comforting. A snuggie! Who wouldn't love a snuggie?

Of course, maybe you don't need those in TX.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I know I like them. I keep buying them year after year. Well not the snuggies, just the throws.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

I found a USB alarm clock/hub thingy for $4 at Walmart the other day. Also found cable zippers for $14 (its like the zip straps that hold all your cables neatly) , got a small, very small screw driver for $1, got a mini sharpie marker keychain for $1 (great for writing on CDs), a can of air for $6, a few re-writeable dvds, and some screen cleaning spray. I put them all in a folding plastic storage box $2, and wrapped it up for my very techy friend.

Maybe something like that?

Most computer people I know stay up way late, and drink coffee by the gallon (or Beer) So the variety beers sond good.

At our christmas party, when people have to choose gifts from an assortment, I have found the wine, glassware and movie tickets are always the first to go. Then the solar powered gadgets, tools, beer and picnic basket style or popcorn/movie enjoying sets.

Movie packs are easy... grab a "popcorn" bowl from the $$ store, they usually are red and white and have popcorn written on them.. hard to miss. Then fill it, popcorn, popcorn flavours/salts, junior mints/m&ms, and a rental certificate from a movie store (or cheap movie)

Ice Cream kits are the same, get the old fashioned sundae/soda glasses, and fill them with sprinkles, mini treats etc... then add a certificate for a grocery store or ice cream shop, for the whipped cream, soda and ice cream.

hmmm.. hard when you know NOTHING about them. Good luck whatever you choose!
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

A Whirlypop!

I'm not sure where my brother got mine, but a quick google search shows them at ace hardware.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...lickid=prod_cs
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Variety beers, novelty usb gadgets both good ideas. Regular USB gadgets and gift cards.... I'd pass on those. A small bottle of a nice whisky and a glass with a snowman etched on it? A nice wallet/billfold/whatever you call them? A pen-knife/combination tool pocket gadget thing?