The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #811
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I just had a conversation via facebook messages with my secondary school maths teacher. He retired from teaching about 9 years ago due to osteo arthritis, but sounds like he's thoroughly enjoying retirement. It's 21 years since we last spoke :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #812
Cloud

wow. ze interwebs be powerful.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #813
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ever notice how getting pregnant is so much worse than having sex?
It's like, if a teenage girl gets pregnant she is whisoered about and pointed at. But suggest that teenagers don't have sex and everyone would laugh in your face (outside of strong religious circles).

I knew someone who split up with her long term partner, and his new g/f got pregnant within a few weeks. They had been on-and-off for years but her attitude was, "Well I'd never take him back now" as if by impregnating, rather than just having sex with another woman he'd crossed a line.

Aside from issues of contraception and shared child-rearing, there does seem to be a knee-jerk reaction to sex meaning more if pregnancy results. Perhaps it's a numbers game.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #814
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's the tinge of irresponsibility--yes, sometimes the condom breaks and 1% of pill users get pregnant, but statistically, people who get knocked up ended up that way because they didn't use proper contraception. When I was a teen, I used two methods, and the boys didn't even know about the second so they wouldn't try to argue about the necessity of the first--and yes, I looked down on girls who didn't take precautions like I did.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #815
DanaC

I think it's more subtle than that, myself. I think that pregnancy is basically proof positive of promiscuity (in society's eyes). As long as people are sleeping with each other and nobody's pregnant, it is private. As soon as a women is pregnant it brings it out into public view. It also transforms the woman instantly, in society's eyes, from free individual, to responsible carer. We want our responsible carers to be morally acceptable and thoroughly intergrated into our social norms.

A pregnant teenager or adult one night stand offends (even if only at a vestigial level) society's norms and so the pregnant woman is automatically being judged immoral and therefore potentially dangerous. We are sophisticated enough to deal with women having sex, but we are not yet sophisticated enough to withhold judgement on a mother-to-be.

Like I say, all at a fairly vestigial level.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #816
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Ever notice how getting pregnant is so much worse than having sex?
YES.

having a baby also affects relationship dynamics. The girl says, "well, he's having sex with another woman. Asshole." THEN the other girl gets preggers and now there is a whole 'nother dimension to it. It's no longer him and her and her. It's him and her and her and the baby. Babies change the dynamics of couples in long-term, commited relationships. In short-term on-again-off-again relationships a baby is a deal breaker. Another human being with those two people's DNA is coming on into the world. It IS worse than having sex. An affair may be forgivable, but a constant, walking, talking, money-needing, care and love-needing person around to always remind you....not so easy.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #817
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I am so mature!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #818
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I've been wondering....are we being post whores who DON'T get paid, or are we the paid kind?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #819
DanaC

I think we get paid in 'gifts'.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #820
NoBoxes

Parcel post whores?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:13 AM   #821
DanaC

Haha. Very good.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #822
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Another human being with those two people's DNA is coming on into the world. It IS worse than having sex. An affair may be forgivable, but a constant, walking, talking, money-needing, care and love-needing person around to always remind you....not so easy.
Yes - The forced responsibility for ones actions becoming a reality is a major bummer when until that point it was all fun and games. No more partying all the time or just hanging out.... Once the baby becomes a reality it changes the relationship dynamic. No more free and easy - now its taking care of another and teaching and responsibility and caring for and guiding and and and...another human being.
All that and there are all kinds of things that you HAVE to do while sacrificing what you WANT to do.
Lotta people can't handle that.

Personally I am on the other side of this as my kids are now all young adults and I am finally getting some time for me after 20+ years of putting my needs and wants away until after all theirs were satisfied.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #823
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I've been wondering....are we being post whores who DON'T get paid, or are we the paid kind?
It's post whores, not post prostitutes.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #824
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

If I'm like completely over this thread, am I a post Post Whore?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #825
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I prefer, "post woman of the night" thank you.

Tags
dum, oh the whorror