The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #3256
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

*cheers*
Old 08-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #3257
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pffft, one female college student? With what's at stake, I hope she has secret service protection.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 PM   #3258
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I hope she can afford the insurance on that new car she's about to receive. Mysteriously.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #3259
glatt

She needs to figure out how to introduce legislation where all residents of the district get free healthcare paid for by property tax. Or some shit like that. She's the Queen of that district.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #3260
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Why would the authority for such public decisions revert to the businesses there in the absence of voters? I kinda have to hurt my brain a little to even conceive of a district that has no voters, like, yeah, I am a parent, but I have never had any children. It's kind of the definition of the term. Anyhow, it's probably some leftover rule or worse, some new rule put in there by zombie voters to give voting power to corporations.

Corporations are not people, people. They should not have the right to vote, nor have the cause things to happen that require voters to enact. Oh wait, I'm dreaming. What's happening here is the local businesses are just trying to save on their lobbying expense. Costs money and is uncertain, like all marketing.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #3261
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Because there would be no vote, so the businesses, who have the politicians in their pocket, would get their way when the decision got dumped back on council.
If businesses actually had a vote, they would beat her soundly.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #3262
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
She needs to figure out how to introduce legislation where all residents of the district get free healthcare paid for by property tax. Or some shit like that. She's the Queen of that district.
Clearly all that hobnobbing with lawyers has paid off.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #3263
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

A former Obama White House aide and candidate for Congress in Maryland’s 8th District goes public with arrest record:

Quote:
What Makes Black Men Run From the Police?

... I know why. I am a black man, and I have been arrested. I am also a husband and father of three, a lawyer, a former White House aide and now a candidate for Congress.

The police made a mistake, as humans inevitably do. It was a little more than a decade ago, when I was in my early 20s and well on my way toward a promising career. I was in a car with some friends and fellow law-school classmates when, as a thoughtless prank—the sort that tends to hang over from adolescence—one of them shouted an obscene comment at a woman on the street. That woman turned out to be an undercover police officer.

Let me state that what he did was wrong, and completely out of character; but, of course, I had no idea of his intended actions, nor did I have control over them. We were all arrested, and in the end, the charges were dropped and the record of my arrest was eventually expunged.

I knew at the time, and I suppose I could have assured myself, that it was all a mistake and that the police would accept the truth of my innocence. But as difficult as it is for me to admit, when the police officer confronted me, I thought about running, too. I wasn’t having a bad day, I didn’t have an outstanding warrant and I knew I had done nothing wrong. But I also knew that arrest—not conviction, but a single arrest—could severely imperil my future right then and there. Suddenly, despite my success in life, I could see myself becoming yet another black man swallowed by our elaborate criminal-justice system—another statistic. ...

... Until now I have never disclosed any of this to anyone other than close friends and family. And I expect that some who know me (and many others who don’t) will see me differently after reading this piece. But I would ask them, when did I cease to be human? Am I not the son, husband and father of three, attorney or former White House aide I was before you knew this about me? ...
Yebbut, why now?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #3264
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Yebbut, why now?
I suppose it's as the man says in the last paragraphs...

Quote:
My sincere hope is that by lifting my voice, I will encourage others to do the same.
The statistics tell us that there are many of us who have similar testimonies about
what our nation’s heavy-handed approach to criminal justice is doing to
communities of color and society at large.

Right now we find ourselves at a critical moment in history.
We stand at the precipice of passing the most sweeping
bipartisan criminal-justice reform legislation in a generation.
But it won’t happen if this is seen as a problem for “them,”
as opposed to all of us. Democracy is what got us into this mess,
but I’m confident that democracy can help alleviate it and
bring us markedly closer to our country’s highest ideals in the process.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #3265
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

No, that's borderline delusional. There are eight million stories in the naked city and he's too much of a politician for his to be the one that encourages.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #3266
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
No, that's borderline delusional;
he's a politician.
Edited for concision.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #3267
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe a super-pac has offered tons of cash to the swiftboat others in that car that night to go public. Maybe even swear it was he who yelled.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #3268
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Judge: If the US SCOTUS thinks we don't know what constitutes a marriage, we damn sure don't know what constitutes a divorce, so I ain't divorcing people until SCOTUS tells me what constitutes a divorce.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #3269
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hah. Nice.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #3270
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Lawyers for the Bumgardners did not immediately return a request for comment from The Huffington Post.
Well duh, these cats depend on him, and his fellow judges, for their livelihood.
Plus "Contempt of Court" is the only thing you can be sent to jail indefinitely.
If they jailed everyone who has contempt for the courts, they would only collect a buck three eighty in taxes... for the country.